GBA emulator for the DS by Darkchen *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Sep 16, 2009.

Sep 16, 2009
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] GBA emulator for the DS by Darkchen *UPDATE*
    GBAtemp Exclusive hands-on
    Homebrew enthusiast and GBAtemp member darkchen has been busy developing a Game Boy Advance emulator for the Nintendo DS, and we've tried it! The result? Some extremely impressive work!

How did darkchen manage to emulate the GBA given the hardware limitations of the DS? The clever guy used the extra power that the DSiPlayer (slot-1 media player) provides to get the extra juice needed to emulate GBA at a decent speed. Unfortunately of course, this means that this emulator will only work on the iPlayer.

We've tried a handful of games using darkchen's emulator and the results have been extremely impressive. The majority of games (even 3D intensive games) work extremely well with almost perfect video and sound output. There is a little bit of slow down in some games (using a frameskip setting of 2), but the results are astonishing for a first release. I didn't even see a single graphical glitch. But, not only is the emulation side of things impressive, the emulator GUI itself is also very well done and offers a great number of useful and well implemented options such as save states, screenshots, frameskip and more. It even supports zipped ROMs, but has some issues with 256Mbit games when zipped.

You can check out our hands-on video of the emulator above to see it in action for yourself. (We apologise for the poor video quality - watch in HQ on YouTube for a better picture). Well done to darkchen for a great piece of software and we hope you'll continue to improve it.

Also, please be aware that darkchen has not yet released this emulator publicly, so please do not request download links.

*UPDATE*: GBAtemp are proud to announce that we are now able to release the emulator publicly TONIGHT (GMT). So stay tuned, iPlayer owners!

[​IMG] Hands-on Video (YouTube)
    [​IMG] darkchen's blog
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. CrimsoniteX

Member CrimsoniteX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Impressive, great work!

3. stivsama

Member stivsama GBA-Tenchan

my EZF3in1 looks so... inadequate now. Hope Darkchen gets to optimise this a little more, maybe add key config in there. Or options so that users can sacrifice some aspects of emulation to enhance others.

i am excited, for sure.

4. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    NOOOOOO!!! Curse you iPlayer and your extra CPU!!!

A bit off topic: I've never found an aswer to this, why doesn't the DS play as fast as the GBA? I guessed it would play much faster with the stronger processor?

5. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    There is already a key config menu [​IMG]

6. Arno

Member Arno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well. Now I HAVE to get an iPlayer for Christmas. That looks like really good stuff right there! Very nice..

7. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    This is very nice. If this comes out, I will get the iPlayer for the sole purpose of GBA emulation. I would like to play Pokemon Emerald, provided that it will have real-time clock functionality and of course, saving...

8. Fabis94

Member Fabis94 Xbawx playa

Latvia
    Could this later work on a DSi without iPlayer when the DSi mode is unlocked?

9. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    I'm glad to have a iplayer.
    Can't wait to see this released. [​IMG]

10. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Now if they just hacked the dsi mode on the dsi I would get in a heartbeat.

11. stivsama

Member stivsama GBA-Tenchan

Thanks, I always wanted to switch some buttons around when I play GBA with 3in1. If there's key config already, next thing I want is in game guide, lol (yeah, i realize the emulation thing already eats up a lot of resources, so i won't look forward to it too much, just like slot-1 gba emulation.. oh wait.)

Beta testers should test the GBA essentials.. you know, for kicks. [​IMG]

12. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    The iPlayer has DSi compatibility, right? Otherwise this is gonna suck, kinda.

13. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Quite an amazing feat, and I'm very interested in the technical details of how it works, but I'm still somewhat meh as for the usefulness...I can't stand non-perfect emulation. Even just a little frameskip or audio glitch makes games a lot less fun somehow. I'll stick with my GB Micro + EZFlash IV + 2GB miniSD for playing GBA games for now. This is the same reason I'd never buy that Dingooo A320 or whatever that was mentioned a few days ago.

14. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    50mb-ish video [​IMG]

on my 256kb/s connection.... [​IMG]

anyway great stuff [​IMG]

i was a bit worried since darkchen sort of abandoned his blog for a while :/

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Very nice [​IMG] It looks like the project's been going on for quite some time to produce something that well polished. I seriously thought no-one would ever actually develop something like this, I guess the removal of the GBA slot on the DSi changed that. Amazing work.

If I'm reading this right the iPlayer's CPU is in constant use during runtime. Does this mean running GBA games on the iPlayer has the same effect on the DS's battery life as playing video?

16. demitrius

Member demitrius GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Very nice, I expect this to make some iPlayers fly off shelves for DSi owners. Great work.

17. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's impressive I must say. So this only works with the iPlayer, but i'm assuming it would work on both the ds and the dsi?

18. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    finally a video
    very nice emu

though it still leaves the question if people will do
    if they have a regular DS or DSL and will buy a $35 slot-1 cart instead of a $20 slot-2 cart
    on top of that having to switch out the slot 1 carts instead of having it in all the time like a slot 2
    and obtain another MicroSD (unless you can use the same microsd for both)

this will be good for people with a DSi with any firmware lower then 1.4
    or people who bought the iplayer already and have a ds or whatever
    too bad you can only do this on the iplayer though

19. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Is this DSi only? If not, i know what i'll be getting for my birthday [​IMG]

20. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    The DS is faster than the GBA, but for emulation, just faster is not enough: you need to simulate the entire environment, which takes much more power than just running the original code. Also, the GBA cartridge bus is directly adressed, like internal RAM, and therefore does not have a delay in data streaming. Running a GBA game on a Slot-1 card on the DS processor would create a bottleneck in the DS card slot.