Hacking GBA emulator for iplayer progress

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it still is quite possible to fake a video. Even so, I'm not making any assumptions here...I'll just wait and see what happens. Still, looks pretty interesting, I hope it actually does turn out to be a viable homebrew app.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
PharaohsVizier said:
The way Normmatt talked about a DS rom loader it seemed like it was not only possible, but a much much easier task than say.... this one. It certainly is possible imo.

Well a rom loader isnt exactly 'hard' just takes time and knowledge.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
jonesman99 said:
i agree with you, not only for what else it can do, but also for the gba roms and other emulators, not too many other hands, though. theres alot of gba roms and im pretty sure that it'll take a minute to test all of them fully...

i guess i didn't make myself clear, i don't care about gba emulation on the iplayer. it does nothing for me. anyone can pick up a cheap gba, gb micro, or gp sp. there is also the nds phat and light for gba. instead of focusing on gba emulation i would perfer if this was headed towards other handheld systems. it is hard to carry a portable nes, genesis, tg16, linux, gamegear, gb, gba, etc, etc. it would be nice to see the cpu used to emulate those other system and whatever else it might be powerful enough for. which is why i said the sdk should be in the hands of other people, other coders.

in reply the the DSI side of this i only have to say that if you own a dsi chances are it isn't your fist handheld. you probably want to play gba because you are familiar with the gba titles, and you miss that ability on the dsi. but if you are getting a dsi as your first system, you probably hate gba games. most "kids" i talk to these days feel that old games are ulgy and stupid. they don't get gameplay that isn't in 3d. this knowledge comes from a small study me and a friend did (he is a manager at gamestop). with that said, if you are missing the gba why don't you just pick up an sp off ebay for $20, cheaper than the cost of the iplayer. the older gba flash linkers are very inexpensive. searching a few forums i can find the flash2advance kits for sale for under 10 bucks. isn't that really all you need? the sp/micro are so small its not like you have to carry much with you when you travel to take that and your nds/dsi.

-another world

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha, well, one advantage of being able to emulate gba games on the DSi is that you only ever have to carry around one system...I mean, the DSi is a bit nicer to play than the Lite...after having the DSi, I can hardly go back. But if the iPlayer could become a sort of emulation suite for basically every older system out there, it'd be pretty big. If somebody could get it to emulate, say, the SNES as well as we can emulate the NES right now, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who would buy it just for that. A version of DSLinux for the iPlayer would definitely be pretty cool too.

Must say, I think it was a bad move for the iPlayer team to close off the SDK from developers. If somebody does make a ROM loader or anything, it's not their fault...I mean, nobody goes after Sony because people were able to hack the PSP to load ISOs. Well, I guess Sony didn't give out their SDK either, but still, we're talking about something completely different here.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
with that said, if you are missing the gba why don't you just pick up an sp off ebay for $20, cheaper than the cost of the iplayer. the older gba flash linkers are very inexpensive. searching a few forums i can find the flash2advance kits for sale for under 10 bucks.
The GBA SP would probably be closer to $30 minimum if you want the newer backlit version, which is worth every penny by the way. On the other hand, F2A for $10? Where? I'd be interested in buying a few if they're really that cheap.

liuruicloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
if I go somewhere for a trip, I usually take DS with me, and I really dont want to take anymore, even if I loved GBA. I think many people should agree with me, that more things, more disgusting when people in a trip. So good news for GBA emulator on iPlayer.

But, there is no video demo yet? so I cant believe in it 100%. Im looking forward a video.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sonic32136 said:
Not to entrude, but once the twiizers & DSi love story is done and we can use the DSi's RAM & stuff. Wouldn't this be useless or can he port it?
Not really, since the iPlayer has 32MB of ram, while the DSi only has 16MB. As such, the DSi would only be able to play ROMs smaller than 16MB, which would mean there'd be a ton of ROMs out there that'd be unplayable.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Da-Bomb1 said:
sonic32136 said:
Not to entrude, but once the twiizers & DSi love story is done and we can use the DSi's RAM & stuff. Wouldn't this be useless or can he port it?
Not really, since the iPlayer has 32MB of ram, while the DSi only has 16MB. As such, the DSi would only be able to play ROMs smaller than 16MB, which would mean there'd be a ton of ROMs out there that'd be unplayable.

iirc there were only about 50 games out of 3000 that were over 16mb so not a HUUUGE lose.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
PharaohsVizier said:
There are probably under 10 with RTC (well not if you count the countless revisions of Pokemon, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and all in a billion languages), and yet there are a LOT of carts that put in extra hardware just to make those games run.

Of those 50 or so games, there are a lot of good ones, it'd be a huge loss, from a personal standpoint.

@Normmatt, did you get to talk to the guy about his work? I remember you asked to talk to him on IRC right?

Nope haven't heard a thing from him, likely he's just some n00b trying to fool people.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Normmatt said:
iirc there were only about 50 games out of 3000 that were over 16mb so not a HUUUGE lose.
Well, even so, you wouldn't be able to even fit a 16MB game into the RAM, since there'd have to be room for the emulator too, right?

...and lol, we should just be hopeful, since I want this to be true.
tongue.gif
If the iPlayer could turn into a full emulation suite, it'd be pretty huge...it'd cause a massive boost of sales.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
darkchen said:
Da-Bomb1 said:
darkchen said:
Post updated
Could you please post a video?
smile.gif

yes, I will, but not now.
maybe video will be available after finding a solution of audio concern problems.
I dont want to waste time right now to make a DV
Haha, all you need is just a quick little video as proof that this isn't all just a hoax.

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Da-Bomb1 said:
darkchen said:
Da-Bomb1 said:
darkchen said:
Post updated
Could you please post a video?
smile.gif

yes, I will, but not now.
maybe video will be available after finding a solution of audio concern problems.
I dont want to waste time right now to make a DV
Haha, all you need is just a quick little video as proof that this isn't all just a hoax.
He said yes.. that's good enough for me.

I'm an eternal optimist.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Da-Bomb1 said:
[...]Not really, since the iPlayer has 32MB of ram, while the DSi only has 16MB. As such, the DSi would only be able to play ROMs smaller than 16MB, which would mean there'd be a ton of ROMs out there that'd be unplayable.

Not exactly. The data from the SNES cartridge dump can be streamed, just like NeoDS does with the Neo-Geo huge roms. By the way, SNES roms are rarely bigger than 32 Mbits.

edit: By the way, I also wish a video was uploaded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night