GBA Emulation Possibilities (trying to get to the bottom of it)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Amoveo, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Amoveo
    OP

Newcomer Amoveo Newbie

United States
    Ok I am not very knowledgeable about emulation or the hardware capabilities of the DS, but my first reaction to "the DSi will have an SD card slot" was Shit Yeah Emulation! Well I've been doing more research and now I am concerned it may be impossible.

I understand that the biggest hurdle for DS emulation off an SD card is the lack of RAM which is normally held in the DS cartridge and thus some people are worried the DS will simply not have enough RAM. Opera says that the DS has more RAM to run their browser which would make sense. The original DS Browser had an extra 10 MB of RAM, so isn't it reasonable to expect the DSi will have 10 more RAM? Also some have said that the additional RAM would be inaccessible to SD card emulation and would instead be reserved for DS functions can anyone tell me if there is any basis for that?

Also some have guessed that Nintendo will try to sell Games in the new DS store, does anyone think that will open the door for vRAM and RAM allocated to games?

I'm excited for the DSi, but without any emulation capabilities a lot of my motivation to upgrade vanishes. Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    for the last time (Ive said this many times already, too many to count)
    more ram doesnt = emulation

its cpu dependent
    the DS's CPU is not strong enough to handle GBA emulation
    it wasnt a problem on the DS or DSL because the gba hardware was there already

3. Amoveo
    OP

Newcomer Amoveo Newbie

United States
    Ok thanks. Sorry I didn't mean to annoy I just searched and found a thread discussing it here that didn't quite answer my question.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    lol didnt mean to come off as rude
    it just that people dont search before posting the same questions

right now were in the "how to get flashcarts to work on DSi" phase, many many threads...

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Well technically, its not the CPU thats the problem seeing as both are Arm (Arm7 and Arm9 are binary compatible) It's that the gfx hardware is lsightly different which means you need to redirect things, not to mention the sound code would need to be completely rewritten or atleast very cleverly sent to the arm7 to decode and play. This would be quite hard and as of yet no one wants to do it.

6. knoxvillz

Member knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    well some of the warioware mini games from the gba will be available for download on the dsiware but they are only the mini games and not the whole game.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    RAM is not held on the DS cartridge. The DS has 4 MB of RAM, and that's it. You can expand that with slot-2, but it's slower to access than the on-board RAM. Yes, it's probably safe to assume that the DSi contains more built-in RAM for the browser to use, but even then that's not going to help GBA emulation. As was said before, the CPU is more of a bottleneck than anything in terms of emulating the GBA in software.

It might let GBA files run directly on the hardware if the extra RAM works like our current slot-2 setups rather than like on-board RAM (basically, if it's accessible in GBA mode or not). If what knoxvillz says is correct, then this is probably the case. But then it won't be emulation; it will be running the GBA files directly on the native hardware.