ROM Hack GBA Doom wad conversions (open for suggestions!)

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I am currently converting major vanilla doom wads over to doomhack and kippy kip's gba doom port! So far I have completed converting doom- the way id did, and finished working on the second one. All wad conversion patches will be updated to this post, one i complete them. The patches need to be applied to the nointro Doom (USA, Europe).gba rom. The controls were modified from kippy kips controls to make it akin to the way doom 1 controls worked on the gba, as i prefer those over doom 2's control config, and you cant run and circle strafe with kippys control config without changing weapons. So use l+r to change weapons, b to run and interact, a to shoot, l and r to strafe. If you all want me to post a ips for the swapped controller input for doomhack, and kippy kip's doom gba port, let me know, Enjoy!

PS: I am also open to suggestions on vanilla doom wads you would like to see converted.

gba1.png
gba2.png
gbga.png
sa.png

scythe.png
scythe1.png

hell revealed title.png
hell revealed.png
hell revealed2.png

hell revealed 2.png
hell revealed 21.png
hell revealed 2d.png

Mass Extinction.png
Mass Extinctiong.png

Attachments

• doom- the way id did.rar
    7.2 MB · Views: 324
  • earth.rar
    7.4 MB · Views: 243
  • maps of chaos.rar
    6.6 MB · Views: 250
  • mowhawk.rar
    7 MB · Views: 238
  • doom2twid.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 287
  • scythe.rar
    7.1 MB · Views: 264
  • hell revealed.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 234
  • hell revealed 2.rar
    8.2 MB · Views: 219
  • Mass Extinction.rar
    8.1 MB · Views: 250
Last edited by Bazooka_Face,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You have already collected a nice, interesting collection; little jewels for fans! :lol:
I hope that many will follow this thread and participate enthusiastically.
You will have to be patient as the gba section is not very popular and valued nowadays, if not by the usual, familiar faces.
If necessary, I'll take care of bumping this post to put it back in the spotlight...:rofl2:

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nice work!

there are multiple alien-themed WADs (alien as in xenomorph)
aliens|tc would probably be impossible to convert as it contains major dehacked hacking ( it coined the term total conversion after all)
but there were also alien-wads with just graphics changes

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice work!

there are multiple alien-themed WADs (alien as in xenomorph)
aliens|tc would probably be impossible to convert as it contains major dehacked hacking ( it coined the term total conversion after all)
but there were also alien-wads with just graphics changes
Yeah, I'm actually having trouble compiling scythe 2 because of the dehacked script..

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sooner or later I'd like to see Freedoom1/2 converted; if and when you want, but not the latest, recent version (v0.12 more sophisticated and limit removing), but v0.10.1, or earlier, still Boom/PrBoom compatible .
Obviously a simple suggestion; you have already done a lot for all of us ...:yay:

Reactions: Bazooka_Face

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooner or later I'd like to see Freedoom1/2 converted; if and when you want, but not the latest, recent version (v0.12 more sophisticated and limit removing), but v0.10.1, or earlier, still Boom/PrBoom compatible .
Obviously a simple suggestion; you have already done a lot for all of us ...:yay:
Yeah, it took me so much time to reply until now, because I tried compiling scythe 2, which took almost an hour until I ran out of memory. I looked at the wad.c file afterwards, and it was something like 250mb! So I will be posting hell revealed in a few minutes, stay tuned!

Reactions: Nikokaro

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up next on the list is hell revealed 2, this is actually pretty fun troubleshooting these wads through chocolate doom first and finding out what the cause of error is.:gun::yaysp:

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A personal opinion: if you see that the wads are too complex, large, too demanding in terms of performance, and the gameplay is ruined (slowdowns, jerky graphics, texture/ sprite glitches) give up and don't upload them.
I advise you to convert only the simplest, most playable and enjoyable ones,
that run smoothly on real hardware: gba/gba sp/DS Lite.
Thanks again :)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
:)I just ordered a 2gb microSD (my gba SuperCard only accepts this, or smaller one), which is not as easy to find, in my country, as it used to be, and I will dedicate it exclusively to the Doom megawads collection!

Then I'll start testing them one by one, in the evening, before sleeping (giving up the healthy habit of reading literature classics:sleep:) hoping that those don't crash during the save (like ChexQuest.gba) or in the more advanced and complex levels (like Freedoom.gba, but I trust it will work if converted from an older, simple version, and in this I firmly hope:rolleyes:)

Greetings from one of your supporters (hoping not to be the only one...:rofl2:)

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, after playing doom all day yesterday after converting wads, I am back and present you with doom mass extinction on the gba! This one crashes on the orignal vanilla wad, but actually runs great on the gba, i was suprised... This one is a full 32 level megawad, so there is alot of content to play here!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What about WolfenDoom? Can those be converted to work on GBA PrBoom?
It'd be nice to have a decent option for Wolfenstein 3D on GBA.. with music :P

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about WolfenDoom? Can those be converted to work on GBA PrBoom?
It'd be nice to have a decent option for Wolfenstein 3D on GBA.. with music :P
I'm afraid it wont work the way you would expect. Wolfendoom requires dehacked files for the nazisand other enemies, and the gba doom doesnt take dehacked files.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
These are the developer's exact words:
"Although it is based on prBoom, most of the engine enhancements (dehacked, limit removing etc) have been reverted back to Vanilla. This is either for memory or performance reasons". Doomhack

So forget about Wolfendoom, Aliens-doom, Batman-doom, Simpsons-doom, or other Shit-doom, even if originally PrBoom compatible ...
:hateit:

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is one of the most provided, complete and comfortable sites to visit (a simple Doom/Hexen/Heretic wad archive), among many others mirrors ( https://www.gamers.org/ftp/archives.html ) where you can find megawads ranging from the late nineties (usually vanilla/Boom/PrBoom/Chocolate compatible and more suitable to be converted) up to ours days (usually ZDoom/GZDoom/limit removing compatible):
https://youfailit.net/pub/idgames/levels/

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished a few megawads to some success, including the legendary memento mori! Doom zero may not be beatable, because the megawad requires a dehacked file to load custom enemies for the final boss. Other than that, keep in mind doom zero may or may not crash!

memento mori-0.png
memento mori-1.png
memento mori-2.png

doom zero-0.png
doom zero-1.png
doom zero-2.png

Attachments

• mementomori.rar
    8.7 MB · Views: 242
  • doomzero.rar
    8.4 MB · Views: 206

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While waiting for my microSD to arrive (to play them on DS Lite slot2), I tried the first stage of each one on gba emulator (on smartphone, and to me it is almost a heresy:rofl:), and I must say that the graphics are surprisingly smooth and sharp, although, sometimes, a bit grainy/coarse (obviously).
Only H.R.2 works, right from the start, a little jerky, due to the numerous enemies present at the same time.

But, for my connoisseur palate, the decisive test will be only on real hardware.:rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on