GBA compatibility on the G6 Lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Picolo, Aug 20, 2006.

Aug 20, 2006
  1. Picolo
    OP

Newcomer Picolo Advanced Member

Sweden
    I've heard over and over again that the G6L has 100% compatibility for GBA-roms.
    Is that really true?

I played trough the Final Fantasy IV Advance and I could spot some noticible slowdowns here and there.
    For example when you use the airships and the most obvious of all, the final battle.
    Not only is the final boss a major pain, playing it at very low fps makes it even harder.

Perhaps it's the accual FFIV Advance that is a bad port and the accual original cartridge (or running it on a GBA flashcart) still has slowdowns, anyone know?
    So I'm wondering if anyone of you have experieced any slowdowns in any GBA roms or is it just me.

2. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    it's not the g6, the game itself was plagued with slowdowns.

3. Thorisoka

Member Thorisoka GBAtemp Regular

France
    Yes, Square takes years to port their FF games, and are not even able to optimize the port...
    hope FF V and VI will be better...

4. Picolo
    OP

Sweden
    Well Final Fantasy I (from dawn of souls) didnt have any slowdowns from what I could tell.

5. outphase

United States
    Last I heard Tose didn't have a hand in dawn of souls. (Tose had a hand in Valkyrie Profile Lenneth which also had slowdowns and the PSX FF collections)

6. Picolo
    OP

Sweden
    In Yoshis Island (Mario Advance 3) I notice some serious slowdowns at the big lava monster in the first castle just before you get the key so you can go to the boss.

7. Rykar

Newcomer Rykar Advanced Member

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/yoshisi....html?id=335748
    The graphics continue as spectacular as ever, the SNES version used the Super FX2 Chip to make the awesome effects like the rotation effects, the vehicle transformation and the little enemies transformation to the spectacular scene bosses, all of that could be transfered to the GBA version, though the GBA version suffers a few of times a bit of slowdown on its framerate, but this is nothing horrible and it doesn't affect the gameplay.

8. Picolo
    OP

Sweden
    Ok I compared GBA playback (Yoshis Island) on Both G6 Lite and F2A 256mbit and yes, some slowdown that doesnt affect gameplay on the F2A..

Edit:

Accually after some more testing I can say it do affect gameplay and the same slowdowns occur on G6L which seems to have the same specs for running GBA-roms that any other (pure) GBA-flashcart...

Guess GBA compatibility are quite 100% then after all..

9. outphase

United States
    The entire GBA compatibility falls down to slowdowns in only one game?

10. Picolo
    OP

Sweden
    I did some more testing and there wanst much difference, if any, between F2A and G6L accually.

Great G6-team [​IMG]

11. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Blame Tose. By the way, they are doing V and VI Advance. Do you think they're figure out the "lag"? Me neither, but I still intend to grab them.

12. pubjoe

Member pubjoe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've actually found MarioKart Super Curcuit to suffer a bad drop in framerate. It's a shame as it is a game that really suffers - it basically makes a good game into a mediocre game.

I've played the original cart on a GBA SP and it was great.

Is this due to the G6 or is it something to do with using NDS hardware instead of GBA? or even something to do with an internal cartridge mode-7 chip or something (I doubt that last one!).

13. Rykar

Newcomer Rykar Advanced Member

ttp://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/yoshisi....html?id=335748
    The graphics continue as spectacular as ever, the SNES version used the Super FX2 Chip to make the awesome effects like the rotation effects, the vehicle transformation and the little enemies transformation to the spectacular scene bosses, all of that could be transfered to the GBA version, though the GBA version suffers a few of times a bit of slowdown on its framerate, but this is nothing horrible and it doesn't affect the gameplay.