GBA battery mod

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by rs1n, Jul 31, 2013.

1. rs1n
    OP

rs1n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Has anyone considered modding the original GBA to run off the lithium ion battery of the GBA SP? I was thinking about such a project and was wondering if anyone has information on the schematics of these two models (in particular for the power supplies).

Home_Rowed likes this.
  2. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    While this isn't exactly the same thing, I thought I remembered the K101 GBA running off an SP battery, but it may not.

3. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    Maybe i'm wrong but i dont see the purpose of this. 2 rechargeable AA batteries from energizer can go from 1300mah to 2300mah (for reference http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx) the gba sp max capacity is 850mah. even if you consider that you need a charger for your batteries you also need a charger for the sp battery.
    So i dont see the usefullness of this (GBA sp battery would last half of the time of a pack of AA on a regular gba).

If you want a AA rechargeable mod one user from here has already made one.

If you just want a battery solution nintendo did release a battery and charger pack for the gba ( search agb 008 on google and check the images). Maybe some 3rd partys may have done something like that too but for that you will need to search.

If im wrong about the AA batteries vs sp on a regular gba please correct me

4. rs1n
    OP

rs1n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    I had considered what you wrote, and part of the reason I am interested in a mod is that I want a solution in which the only time I need to open the battery cover is to replace the rechargeable battery for good. While the AA rechargeable batteries would work just fine, I would have to open up the cover, remove them, charge them, put them back in. What would be ideal is to be able to just plug the GBA into a charger overnight. So the only fiddling (ideally) would be to plug or unplug the charging cable (ala GBA SP).

Can you provide the link to the AA rechargeable mod?

5. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
  6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    That's funny, I was thinking about exactly the opposite .... a mod for using rechargeable AA's with a GBA-SP, instead of the original li-ion. After Nintendo's supplies are long gone and the Chinese cheapies are all used up too, rechargeable AA's will still be around.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Edit. misread the OP. I will leave part of it up.

You mean like one of these?
    gbabattery.jpg

Edit to go with above. Took the door off an SP. They use a 3.8V battery which is a bit outside tolerance. That is outside specs really and probably does not include the battery management circuitry inside the battery (good and bad for the prospective project).

Given SP batteries are not all that common and regular rechargeable batteries/battery setups are common enough you might as well go that.

Goatsie666 likes this.
  8. Coltonamore

Coltonamore Time to stop Tron Bonne!

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Yeah I chose not to use the nyko wii charging pack, and I chose to use 2300mah energizer rechargeable batteries so I think I'm just gonna try to mod the batteries into a battery pack that can be recharged though usb, if that's even passable.

9. rs1n
    OP

rs1n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Hm... the Wiimote with mag charger actually looks pretty cool. I wonder if the battery cover still fits. If so, then that would be really cool.

10. Goatsie666

Goatsie666 Head Smithy

Oct 26, 2014
    United States
    Portland, Oregon
    I just got some of those Nokia batteries for my original gba. It has a backlight mod. My girl will help me with the soldering. Do I need to desolder the double AA battery encloser? I already got Nintendo's solution, it was dead. I took the plastic off the Lithium ion battery and can see a red strip on top and a white strip on bottom.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

How did you do that?

11. rs1n
    OP

rs1n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Last edited by rs1n, Nov 30, 2016
  12. junn

junn .

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    i actually used Adafruit Powerboost with Lipo battery charger on one of my gba mod coupled with 3.3v step down regulator.
    but whatever floats your boat.