Hardware GBA battery broked....

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After putting it off, I finally ordered a triwing screwdriver. First thing I did was open up a bunch of GBA carts I bought in Hong Kong where the battery died and the games can't save anymore. Anyways, inside, it looked like the battery was soldered on but the real question is, can I solder them off and what kind of battery can I use as the replacement? Will the ordinary silver pill battery work?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i have same problem with my Zelda here
frown.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i just brought out the damn battery, which is a "1620".
i'm gonna buy a new one and replace it, hope it works.
replacing will be harder since i cannot "Solder" as the factory did, but i have to do something similiar. luckily i have a friend which is an expert, i will take it over there, he is crazy for these stuff.
basicly i'm doing it for a friend, since my G6 will be her in like 9days.
wink.gif

wish me luck!

noacess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shouldnt be too hard, but good luck!

i just brought out the damn battery, which is a "1620".
i'm gonna buy a new one and replace it, hope it works.
replacing will be harder since i cannot "Solder" as the factory did, but i have to do something similiar. luckily i have a friend which is an expert, i will take it over there, he is crazy for these stuff.
basicly i'm doing it for a friend, since my G6 will be her in like 9days.
wink.gif

wish me luck!

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something you might look into -- depending on the type of battery, many electronics houses sell batteries with 'soldering tabs' already attached to them. This makes the job a lot easier.

If it's a large game, like a SNES or NES cart, it's easier to just mount a battery holder inside of it, then snap the battery into that.

Soldering directly to a battery can be dangerous, as the heat can cause it to leak or explode.

D

Deleted User

I have the same problem - my Flash2Advance 256's battery finally died and it looks like it will be quite the task if I try to replace it. The metal tabs that hold the battery appear soldiered or glued to the battery and I am unsure of what to do. I wish they made flash carts so that you could easily replace the battery a-la snap in like replacing a watch battery in most cases. The only apparent alternative if you don't have skills with the soldiering iron is dropping another $100 on a new flash cart - and well, that kinda sucks.

I think I am going to pick up a new GBA devoted flash cart b/c of this reason, and was considering the supercard sd as an option, but I'm guessing that this battery problem is something on ALL GBA flash cards [and nds too I guess?] Are there any cards that either do not use a battery [I'm guessing they all NEED a battery to retain the .save] or carts that have batteries that are easier to replace?

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can't unsolder the chip why not cut the leads off and solder wires directly from the battery points on the pcb to a battery holder from radioshack?....

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i did it finally 4days ago.
radioshack?! what r u talkin about!
i live in Iran, in Asia, we dont have Credit Card or copyright or anything!!
smile.gif
)
anyway, i tried 2 nights to put the battery inside the cartridge but i couldnt, so i solderd 2 wires and put the battery out of cartridge, its working till now, when u wanna play, the battery's case is under the gba, its not professional word nor i am professional but its good for my friend, so he CAN basicly finish the game.
i didnt have voltmeter or anything to test my soldering so it was even harder for me to do it.
thnx for all help.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It always makes me wonder why they make the batteries hard to remove. By the time the battery runs out the product should have stopped selling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs