Gba and DS games look better on smaller New 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by wolven9, Sep 11, 2016.

1. wolven9
    OP

wolven9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    The only reason I ask is because of the smaller resolution. The 3DS XL's screens seem like they stretch the pixels and makes it blurry

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    It's just an illusion. The screen resolution is exactly the same on all 3ds models.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    DS native res mode is at a playable size on the XL though (dsi size). While on the reg size new3ds, it looks like a gba micro screen.

I've never bought the argument that pixels are that much more noticeable on the XL size, and I have had both models since day1.

4. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    So another words its pretty much the same?

5. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

Resolution, yeah. But tighter dot pitch matters.

That said, I have the 'regular' N3DS and I would say, if anything, that it's the 3DS games that look better. Because of that tighter dot pitch. But for DS or GBA games, I would expect these would look better on the n3ds XL using the original resolution, vs. playing them scaled to fullscreen on the regular n3ds.

If you know what I"m sayin'. I have a DSi XL and a couple AGS-101 GBASP's, so I'm not worried about it. I do like the regular n3ds for 3DS games, and that what I bought it for.

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    pretty much the same, for original resolution in VC games, press and hold start (or select) when launching a game, they will be back to the original resolution
    however i am not sure if this works on gba games. it does with DS, GBC and other VC

Last edited by migles, Sep 11, 2016
  7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    GBA works.

8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

It does. And SNES games on n3ds can be switched after starting the game in the VC menu.

9. xyxa

xyxa Dokoro

Aug 24, 2016
    Somalia
    The same can be said for SNES games emulated on the snes9x port for o3ds, there's a resolution-switching feature.

10. Virdoo

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    The uglier graphics is, the better feeling is:d but anyway you can still corp game by holding select button while booting game if i'm not wrong. So it will be the same. I prefere more to play on full screen, even if the picture isn't clear. Pokemon yellow looks fukin ugly on my 3DS XL xD but I still like it.

11. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Ehh I don't care about playing in the original aspect lol so small its barely playable. Oh well, I was hoping my ds games looked better on a smaller screen xD