GBA analog stick

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Pagio94, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Pagio94
    OP

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova
    I don't know if there already was a topic about that, in that case I'm sorry.

Anyway, I'm thinking about changing the D-pads of my gba and gba sp with analog sticks. I know the signal will still be digital (also every game was developed with that concept in mind) but I want a better feel in my hands and I want (when I'll be more capable with c++, hopefully next year) to develop gba games that will use the analog stick better. Has anyone tried to do this? I'm considering the psp's stick, IMO it has the right size.

2. Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DinohScene likes this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    he wants it internal way.. not a plastic built on a 3d printer making the console fat :C

4. Pagio94
    OP

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova
    Don't like it, It's not a real analog stick but a stick which presses the original D-pad. I want to solder a true analog stick to the circuit board (even if the signal will be digital)

5. Lemmy Koopa

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio
    You need some type of conversion don't you? Analog is Digital anyways. There's no such thing as a computer reading an analog signal in pure analog.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Wrong.
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Analog_vs_Digital
    Analog != Digital.

7. Pagio94
    OP

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova
    [​IMG]

I found this on the web. Will soldering wires from the analog stick to the corresponding cb highlighted dots make the stick somewhat functional?

Edit: I noticed that from a psp analog stick only two pins are for directions: up/down and right/left. I wonder if there is some piece of circuit board that split the two signals from the stick in four different signals. It would make the whole work a lot easier if possible

8. Lemmy Koopa

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio

Really? You've completely missed my point.

I'm saying, that yes, the Analog stick starts off with analog signals, but ultimately, it gets converted into a digital signal in some integer form. This is called a A/D converter.

Just like analog sound going into an audio input in your computer, it is converted into digital info via a A/D converter.

9. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    "Analog" sticks on game controllers give a digital output of between 0 and 255 in two axis, giving the position of the stick, with 128, 128 being in the middle. You will need to program some kind of converter chip in between the stick and the GBA motherboard in order to convert that into on/off up, down, left, right. And if you did so, there would be no way to read the 0 to 255 values from GBA software.

10. Pagio94
    OP

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova