GBA #2691 - Super Mario Advance 4 (Japan)

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lovely..

Tell me raccoon-suit Mario doesn't put a big fat smile on all your faces =)

just wondering... why does a racoon-suit make mario fly? Raccoons can't fly can they..
wacko.gif
?

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
D

Deleted User

In Japanese mythology Raccoons are said to have magical powers that they use to play tricks on humans - this explains why Raccoon-Mario can fly.

The Tanuki, a raccoon-like animal [not actually a raccoon] is another animal noted in Japanese mythology that has magical powers that they use to help &/or play tricks on humans. I believe that the Tanuki suit allowing Mario the ability to transform into a statue is a nod to the anime 'Pon Poko Tanuki' where a pack of Tanuki's try to prevent humans from bulldozing their forest by transforming into Buddhist statues to make humans believe that the forest is a sacred area. They apparently have the ability to transform into humans as well.

So yeah, it's more of a Japanese cultural thing.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
In Japanese mythology Raccoons are said to have magical powers that they use to play tricks on humans - this explains why Raccoon-Mario can fly.

The Tanuki, a raccoon-like animal [not actually a raccoon] is another animal noted in Japanese mythology that has magical powers that they use to help &/or play tricks on humans. I believe that the Tanuki suit allowing Mario the ability to transform into a statue is a nod to the anime 'Pon Poko Tanuki' where a pack of Tanuki's try to prevent humans from bulldozing their forest by transforming into Buddhist statues to make humans believe that the forest is a sacred area. They apparently have the ability to transform into humans as well.

See? Someone a little more cultured answering...

I belive that the mushroom is a reference to Alice in Wonderland.

Pundan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

See? Someone a little more cultured answering...

I belive that the mushroom is a reference to Alice in Wonderland.
No it's a psilocybin/psilocin mushroom, that's why Mario gets bigger.
wink.gif

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe that the Tanuki suit allowing Mario the ability to transform into a statue is a nod to the anime 'Pon Poko Tanuki' where a pack of Tanuki's try to prevent humans from bulldozing their forest by transforming into Buddhist statues to make humans believe that the forest is a sacred area. They apparently have the ability to transform into humans as well.

Super Mario Bros.3 release dates:
JPN October 23, 1988
NA February 12, 1990
EU August 29, 1991

Pom Poko is a 1994 movie. How can Super Mario Bros.3 make a nod to that?

The fact that Mario can transform into a Jizou stone statue is probably because it is another recurring japanese mythology/folklore (like the Tanuki thing).

EDIT: "Tanuki in Japanese folklore are mischievous, lazy, cheerful and gullible creatures who use their supernatural shape-shifting powers to trick humans. It is often said that a Tanuki would put a leaf on top of their head and chant in order to change its form into anything (for example, a monk)."
from Wikipedia.

A stone statue of a monk. Problem solved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Right, yeah.