GB-Transferer on Win 7 (with USB-to-Serial-Port Adapter) ?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by pasc, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pasc
    OP

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Story goes like this:

I got this device (including XP Drivers),

[​IMG]

and this cable to emulate a Serial Port:

[​IMG]

However it seems that they won't work together as the Linker software of the GB-Transferer always shows "connection error".

I hope someone knows a trick or two on how to get this working while at the same time emulating a serial port over the USB Cable.

Thanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    USB to serial adapters are rarely.... good. They certainly tend to not implement the full spec and who knows what the original cart needs. They are occasionally OK for the TTL stuff which an awful lot of devices but most proper USB conversion tools do not do the big voltages of RS232 ( https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/215 if you fancy reading up on electronics).

Similarly windows 7.... generally most of this stuff ends at windows XP.

Very short version. See if you can get an old XP machine with an actual serial port and then we can go from there. If you plan on doing electronics at any level it is probably worth having such a thing around anyway.

3. pasc
    OP

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I figured this might be the answer...

Still nice to hear it from you :).

Time to find a pc with a serial port (wanders of to the attic).

4. jumpman1229

jumpman1229 SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    Maryland
    Running a Windows XP virtual machine might work for you. I use VirtualBox on both my Windows 7 and Mac computers with XP and it works great.
    Perhaps if you are using a desktop and don't currently have a serial interface on your computer, you could pick up a Serial PCI for cheap!

5. pasc
    OP

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany