GB Micro

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Don Andy, Sep 17, 2007.

Sep 17, 2007

GB Micro by Don Andy at 9:36 AM (4,530 Views / 0 Likes) 40 replies

1. Don Andy
    OP

Member Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    OK, I know a guy asked a similar question like just one thread below me, but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

I'm considering getting a GBM and a suiting flash card for GBA gaming goodness, but I'm kinda stumped as to what card to get, as I'm pretty much of a noob when it comes to slot-2 cards.

So, after a little research I intended to go with EZ-Flash V 3in1 Expansion Pack.

Is this any good? Or do you recommend me another one? My only real concern is the compatibility (I don't wanna go through patching each game multiple times, just to get it run, although, if there's no other way I just gonna have to deal with it) and that the thing doesn't stick out.

I also had a M3 Lite once, but passed that thing on to my sister. Never really tried playing GBA with it xD

So, yeah, I'm pretty much open for all suggestions. I just don't wanna dish out money for a flash-card that later sticks out or doesn't really work >.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    You're on the wrong track if you want a 3in1, unless you want to store one game at a time.

Get an EZIV Mini SD or an EZ III.

3. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    Ah, I kinda knew there was something fishy about the 3in1 xD

Thanks for the advice.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Kinda a moot point if you're not getting one anyway but the 3-in-1 requires a DS and a slot-1 card to write anything to it. It's intended to be a slot-1 expansion so it cannot be connected directly to a computer. This is why it only holds 1 game at a time, the rest are held on the slot 1 and transferred to the 3-in-1 through the DS on-the-fly when needed.

So it's a no-go for anyone who doesn't own a DS.

As for recommendations, mine's too old but I've heard a lot of people agreeing with 4saken.

5. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    For GBA games the M3 is actually quite good [​IMG] So you're screwed XD

6. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    it seems that no one knows difference between EZ IV, III , M3 and G6 since there is a topic about GBA flashcard every day. if not twice a day.

7. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    Just helping to keep the statistics up [​IMG]

8. test84

Iran
    no really, lets once and for all, discuss the difference between the "available" flashcards of gba once and for all. (not those discontinued ones).

9. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    Well, a sticky would easily solve this problem, then. Although I obviously lack the experience to make a sticky worthy comparison of the avaiable Slot-2 solutions. I'm sure there are enough people capable of doing that, though.

10. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    get the m3 mini-sd version, i have one in my gb micro and it works perfect.
    yes it will cost you some money, but all the games play fullspeed.

11. kingeightsix

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    after all the research i did... i'm gon grab an m3 lite for my micro... i hope that helps lol

12. 4saken

Australia
    OR you can read the reviews that gbatemp has done, which serves the purpose well

13. test84

Iran
    4saken, plz watch the GBA section for last 3 months, there is a topic about best gba card everyday.
    ppl cant decide and the person above me includes, which finally decided to buy m3 and cant explain.

i'm new to gba/ds so i cant help, got my G6 after long time research.

14. 4saken

Australia
    Well if there was to be a sticky, it shouldn't be one which details everything different - it should be something like: Read the reviews before asking questions! Or something.

15. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    Well, let's assume I would know absolutely nothing about either Slot-1 or Slot-2 cards. Then the reviews wouldn't help me either. I wouldn't even know WHAT review to look at.
    I mean, sure we probably have a review for EZ3, EZ4, M3 and everything, but how am I supposed to know what a M3 is, if I'm completely new to the scene?
    People at least need pointers at WHAT to look for.
    The most useful sticky would probably just one that lists the possible Slot-1 (and for GBA mostly) Slot-2 cards, and a link to the review.

16. 4saken

Australia
    You read each one... The reviews main page even has images to see which one is which. It's also categorized

17. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    Ah, crud, now I found it, too, ignore my uneducated comment and sorry for making this thread in the first place [​IMG]
    Oh, and thanks for the suggestions, of course [​IMG]

18. 4saken

Australia
    Well some of the reviews are outdated, but they should give you a general idea of how well it will work.

19. Don Andy
    OP

Germany
    In retrospect, I still have ONE final question, that didn't exactly get answered through the reviews.

I know there are "normal" cards and "lite" cards. Now, which ones are the best fitting ones (for GB Micro) without sticking out?
    The whole "fits in every pocket" aspect is kinda defeated when I have a giant cartridge sticking out of the back.
    And I'm kinda fearing that the lite cards won't stick out, but much rather not fit in, due to being too small.

20. 4saken

Australia
    The Lite cards are for the DS "Lite". So you want the normal GBA sized cards (most slot 2 cards are in this size). The only ones that don't fit in the slot 2 for the GBM are the CompactFlash and SD based cards, and maybe some of the mini SD ones (m3 comes to mind). The rest should (note that some newer micro SD cards also come with replacement cases, as the case for G6 and M3 Lite)