chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
ok... I HAD a blog post about gay marriage in maine, and it hadn't even been around for an hour before a mod locked and removed it...

I was looking for public opinion on this issue in my home state, and when the topic was locked ~50 minutes in, it had 3 pages and there were +30 people still reading it.

There was a few people that you can find on any forum that loved turning topics into flame wars, but there were quite a few people that posted their honest opinions on the topic.

So... why was my topic locked and removed?!

-----------------------

Let's try this again, then.

Same poll, but this time let's keep the flame war to a minimum. If you don't have a valid opinion, don't post!

-----------------------

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (I left that religion, don't worry) in central Maine, which means I have been raised anti-gay both religiously and by public opinion. Thus, I don't think gay marriage is right.

Once again, PLEASE don't start any flamewars.

MAINE RESULTS

Well, GAME OVER:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/128048.html

53% AGAINST gay marriage

47% FOR gay marriage

Talk about a close race. If they have this question again in a few years I can guarantee it'll be the opposite results.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you say isn't going to change what people do. A flame war will definitely start. The best choice is probably to just have a poll and disable to ability to reply, if that's possible on this forum.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
jgu1994 said:
What you say isn't going to change what people do. A flame war will definitely start. The best choice is probably to just have a poll and disable to ability to reply, if that's possible on this forum.

good idea, but I don't see that option... it'd be good if there was, though...

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
The topic was probably closed for bringing out the worst in humanity and people mindlessly bashing gay people, saying it's against God and all the usual bollocks. I say close this topic as well. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Gay people have every right to be as miserable as everyone else.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not this again. The last time someone brought this up I was up till one in the morning trying to explain to some dense person how unreasonable they are. I just cant let a stupid person go on living like that.

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Actually, gay men and lesbian women seem to be the only people in the 21st century that *want* to marry.

So: Why not? It doesn't change anything for anybody - exept for those who want to marry but are not allowed.

BTW, Gay Marriage is no problem in Europe, only in certain countries like Iran, Afghanistan, the United States of America...

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
chrisman01 said:
wow, I give up. the last 2 comments in a row sound like flamewar fuel.

Nobody is flaming here. Certain people have certain views.

You asked for an opinion, and I added mine. Sorry if it's not the kind of opinion you'd like to read!
tongue.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
chrisman01 said:
wow, I give up. Blaze and dinofans' comments sound like flamewar fuel.

looks like: forums + civilized debates = FAIL

huh.gif

I don't really see how their posts are "flamewar fuel".

Anyway, as you saw from the last thread this isn't really a topic that can be discussed here, just drop the subject.

I mean really, nobody cares. The only people you'll get posting here are the same 13 year olds from the last thread.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
DarthTheufel said:
chrisman01 said:
wow, I give up. the last 2 comments in a row sound like flamewar fuel.

Nobody is flaming here. Certain people have certain views.

You asked for an opinion, and I added mine. Sorry if it's not the kind of opinion you'd like to read!
tongue.gif

lol, sorry, I was talking about Blaze and Dinofan, then when I hit post I guess you beat me out. Wasn't talking about you at all lol
rofl2.gif

heck, you're one of the few that provided valuable input!

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
TC, the problem with that logic is that these topics are not civilized. The fact that they even exist is a sorry statement in and of itself. Why should it be any sort of issue for gay people to be married? They're human just like you and me, ergo they should have the same rights. I can understand how you wanted to have an intelligent discussion on the matter and I respect that, but these topics will just bring out the very worst in humanity. You saw some of the ridiculous posts in the last topic. Some people just go completely overboard in their gay-bashing, and it disgusts not only gay people but anyone capable of rational thought.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes becasue I'm flaming...I'm just saying how this stuff never goes well. I've experienced this same thread twice before. And calling someone out is flaming....hypocrisy.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
THAT'S what I want to know!

What's keeping us from sitting down and having a calm debate/talk about this current issue?

Forums were originally established to share ideas and talk about important subjects. What changed between ancient Greece (or Rome... whoever invented forums, lol) and the modern forums of the internet?

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:

What's keeping us from sitting down and having a calm debate/talk about this current issue?

Forums were originally established to share ideas and talk about important subjects. What changed between ancient Greece (or Rome... whoever invented forums, lol) and the modern forums of the internet?
Anonymity. People can say whatever they want, no matter how unreasonable, knowing full well that what they say will have no consequences. Its possible to have a deep discussion...just not in a forum where immature 13 year olds (just the immature ones, i understand you can be mature at 13) are the average.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
it's against the law and against our life. so i should be in the against side.

the reason why it was possible in certain area is because: 1) a gay was in their sides 2) they have a gay as a friend

this topic should be discussed by a more mature person than little kids. this will go down if not moderated properly.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
What stops us from having a civil discussion on the matter is a problem named human nature. Some people are still afraid of what's different. And fear triggers aggression and the sort of senseless flaming we saw in the previous topic. It's shameful, but true. I try my best to be accepting of other cultures and hope that others will do the same. I'm sure a fair portion of humanity is the same. But there will always be those that let the side down. Like people in the KKK, the BNP, etc. I hope that gay marriage is allowed. I see these next few years as a time of renewal. America is already seeing its first black president and therefore a step towards total racial equality. It would be inspiring if this vote did allow gays to marry as it would be one step closer to humanity shedding those primal fears and working together. Let's be honest, if we spent as much time working in the labs as we did being racist and homophobic we'd have colonised the moon by now at least.

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
May I add the fact that the beautiful country of Switzerland was the only country in the world that introduced marriage for gay men and lesbian women by referendum?
smile.gif

BTW, how can I change my flag to a Swiss one?

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
chrisman01 said:

Anonymity. People can say whatever they want, no matter how unreasonable, knowing full well that what they say will have no consequences. Its possible to have a deep discussion...just not in a forum where immature 13 year olds (just the immature ones, i understand you can be mature at 13) are the average.

True...

I wish there was a forum where that wasn't true, but I know for a fact there isn't any...
frown.gif

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

I was just told that as of right now, Maine votes are as follows:

49% AGAINST

51% ACCEPT

And voting has more or less just started!

I hate politics and voting, but I'm genuinely curious how this will turn out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: