Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
180px-Rauchen_Verboten.svg.png

Hi,

I was thinking seriously about Serious Games, the games that try to teach something and are beyond just entertainment, something that can actually help people, atleast tries to. Like games that teach people about racism, global warming, consuming culture, values of life and death, etc.

And so one of the things that I think a game can change is Smoking. I see it's killing lots of my good friends and even actually killing one of my friend's father, who has serious lung problems and still can't get over it. Also the place I work now, I see almost everyone is smoking and worse, some of them are rolling their own cigars, like custom cigrars or so, thats even worse. (and god knows what else)

I believe with making a game I can do something since games as just entertainment was something that always irritated me when I was seeing people who's actions were directly helping others.

So it will help people who are already smoking to get over it, or atleast gives them a chance to think about it and would help people are not smoking to get distance from smoking someday.

So I'm gathering Ideas here, please share what idea you have for a such game [its genre or so is not important but keep that in mind that I want it to reach a wide audience so there is a lesser chance of that game being a Roguelike, even though some of us love it] and also please introduce games that are doing this already or similar games that try to help getting over a bad habit.

Even so, if you were smoking and you got over it, you can share the ideas or things that helped you to do so and we see if we can use it in the game.

And as you probably know, the less direct we say the message of "smoking is bad, 'mmkay" its will have better effect.

-Thanks

p.s. please if you want to talk about the making this game or not, keep it in PM with me to keep this topic straight and healthy.

Male Smoking by Country:
800px-Male_Smoking_by_Country.png

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
How about you start the game mysteriously, like make the player start the first level in a dark, ugly, place full of all kinds of diseases, and make him advance to discover even more weird stuff and fight germs or whatever.

Until the player realize at the end that this "dark and ugly place" is actually his body, and this weird stuff (cancer, diseases, etc.) is cause by a single cigarette.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
yeah, thanks, I'm thinking about it.

Keep it coming guys.

------

EDIT1:
UBI Soft doing something similar

----
EDIT 2:

I was thinking of something like Saw tests, like forcing the player to smoke, and more and more.
Something like each time he smokes, he has to smoke twice again to feel as good as before (like having a Mental factor, something that Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy had instead of health) and each time he smokes again, his sprite turns more into a skeleton or something to show the damage and in the end show the YOU WON THE GAME ! while obviously he died.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Oh thanks for the link, I didnt know such game exists, I'll get it tomorrow.

BTW, did you see that Ubi soft's game that I linked? I cant believe a great company such as ubi soft is making such stupid game.

I think that DS game is such so.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Oh yes, its getting worse in lots of masses and people are not realizing it, it becomes natural. and since yesterday I got more sensitive about this and I can see A LOT people I see during the day are smokers, and most of them are heavy smokers.

and if you see the map I posted on first post of this topic, you can see the problem is worse in countries that me and you live (according to the flag under your avatar).

for implementation, since I wanted it to reach masses, I wanted to use Flash since its widespread and doesnt need installation and stuff but developing with it takes time and I'm already involved in another game project which is much bigger than this one and needs all of my time, so I think I go for Game Maker, even for prototyping. since there is a plugin that shows projects made with game maker in a web page, I think thats suffice.

I already know both Flash and Game Maker and currently studying C++.

More important thing for this project is the way we have to deliver the message, I have to read Carr's book and talk to some psychologists to find out how they make people quit and then start designing.

but that Saw like idea seems cool to me!

Did you play Passage? give it a shot, its free.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Ok, I'm starting working on this game seriously and will post binaries here.

If you have any ideas for its concept or its gameplay design, please share here or via pm.
and of course, if you know any method that you know helped you or someone to quit smoking, I would love to hear them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1