Hacking Gateway3ds to CFW? Not sure what state my 3DS is in now.

abcc4life

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Can someone point me into the right direction for what I'm trying to achieve? Been out of the scene for a while now and I'm trying to get back but I'm not sure where to start. The current state of my 3DS is that it's running Gateway 3DS on 11.2.0-35U Emunand where most of the games are CIA. But what's weird is I forgot how I made it autoboot to Gateway every time it starts (sometimes it hangs or has a static screen). Think it's using NTRBoot.

What should I strive for at the moment if I want the store as well? I saw that was a post that had Gateway updated to 11.6? But is CFW superior overall?

Thank you in advance!

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
you're probably using A9LH, since thats what gateway officially used, but their own implementation so you might have issues following the https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s guide?

you can then dump your emunand and flash it to sysnand making the transition more or less painless. keeping all your games and saves. then you can update your system fw to latest 11.6 normally once you're running B9S and luma cfw.

one thing to note is you won't be able to use your gateway anymore. not a huge loss imho.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: wormdood

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're probably using A9LH, since thats what gateway officially used, but their own implementation so you might have issues following the https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s guide?

you can then dump your emunand and flash it to sysnand making the transition more or less painless. keeping all your games and saves. then you can update your system fw to latest 11.6 normally once you're running B9S and luma cfw.

one thing to note is you won't be able to use your gateway anymore. not a huge loss imho.

OP this is actually incorrect. This is a terrible place to ask about Gateway related stuff. Lots of irrational bias here, You can access your saves fine after the B9S Conversion. I recommend you do it this way...

1. IF you have A9LH or B9S then boot in to Godmode at boot (hold start at boot) run the script "Back up EmuNAND" (home button opens menu.) Backup your ENTIRE SD. to your PC
  2. Update your installation using the 3ds guide. The guide will have you Update to the latest System Menu, B9S and Luma. DO THE EXTRA STEP TO MOVE YOUR EmuNAND to System NAND. All you installed CIA files will be on your SysNAND. Now all that's left is getting your Red Card up and running.
  3. Make another Backup of your SD and then boot in to Godmode. Format SD with EmuNAND using Godmode. This will make a new 11.6 EmuNAND
  4. Reboot and use Godmode again to restore EmuNAND Backup. (from the SD backup in step 1) Restore the whole SD while you are at it. Now you have a 11.2 emunand
  5. Use this https://gbatemp.net/attachments/bootctr9-firm-b9s1-2-zip.89119/. Put the boot.firm in this archive in the root
  6. make a /Payloads/ directory in the SD root.
  7. Go to http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/gw-payload-converted-for-b9s.45065/ and grab the GW payload.
  8. Setup bootctr9 config file. to boot luma as default and GW as a hotkey. (ill uplad one for you tomorrow. don't have time now.
It's easier than it sounds. After that All your installed CIA games will be in your SysNAND. You boot GW with a hotkey at boot. Your GW MODE EmuNAND will be on 11.2 so a few new games won't work in GW and you can't go inline in gateway mode. Everything will work in Luma. You can even move your GW saves over to your SysNAND. I recommend using Luma for most things and GW mode JUST FOR RUNNING RED CARD GAMES. I will post better instructions. My Fiancee is waiting . I just wanted to make sure you didn't get misled..

If you like you can also update your EmuNAND to a hybrid 11.6/11.2 setup that will run all games and go online. I would just use Luma for that stuff. That's for another post.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/

Last edited by mikefor20,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it. If you update A9LH to B9S and recreate then restore your EmuNAND (Steps 1-4) you could just use the AiO pack on "that iso site". Go search "Inscripted AIO" and you'll find it. It is already set up in the zip. Drag-n-drop the correct directory to your SD and setup is done :) You'll still be on 11.2 EmuNAND. Do your online business on Luma and use GW for extra storage. The AIO pack also has a good script for moving GW saves over to SysNAND. I am exhausted. I'll see if you want clarification tomorrow. If you look through my old posts there are a few threads where I have given a lot of advice on Gateway to Luma Migration. People on here have the intention of moving you away from Gateway. I like to teach you how to make everything work and be safe. Check out the Multi-Kernel for the blue card too... fun stuff.

Make sure you read EVERYTHING in the 3ds guide. There is a few extra steps if you used GW to downgrade in the past. A couple precautionary formats really. Don't skip that stuff.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Can someone point me into the right direction for what I'm trying to achieve? Been out of the scene for a while now and I'm trying to get back but I'm not sure where to start. The current state of my 3DS is that it's running Gateway 3DS on 11.2.0-35U Emunand where most of the games are CIA. But what's weird is I forgot how I made it autoboot to Gateway every time it starts (sometimes it hangs or has a static screen). Think it's using NTRBoot.

What should I strive for at the moment if I want the store as well? I saw that was a post that had Gateway updated to 11.6? But is CFW superior overall?

Thank you in advance!

So, are you gonna upgrade to B9S? want help?

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
OP this is actually incorrect. This is a terrible place to ask about Gateway related stuff. Lots of irrational bias here, You can access your saves fine after the B9S Conversion. I recommend you do it this way...

1. IF you have A9LH or B9S then boot in to Godmode at boot (hold start at boot) run the script "Back up EmuNAND" (home button opens menu.) Backup your ENTIRE SD. to your PC
  2. Update your installation using the 3ds guide. The guide will have you Update to the latest System Menu, B9S and Luma. DO THE EXTRA STEP TO MOVE YOUR EmuNAND to System NAND. All you installed CIA files will be on your SysNAND. Now all that's left is getting your Red Card up and running.
  3. Make another Backup of your SD and then boot in to Godmode. Format SD with EmuNAND using Godmode. This will make a new 11.6 EmuNAND
  4. Reboot and use Godmode again to restore EmuNAND Backup. (from the SD backup in step 1) Restore the whole SD while you are at it. Now you have a 11.2 emunand
  5. Use this https://gbatemp.net/attachments/bootctr9-firm-b9s1-2-zip.89119/. Put the boot.firm in this archive in the root
  6. make a /Payloads/ directory in the SD root.
  7. Go to http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/gw-payload-converted-for-b9s.45065/ and grab the GW payload.
  8. Setup bootctr9 config file. to boot luma as default and GW as a hotkey. (ill uplad one for you tomorrow. don't have time now.
It's easier than it sounds. After that All your installed CIA games will be in your SysNAND. You boot GW with a hotkey at boot. Your GW MODE EmuNAND will be on 11.2 so a few new games won't work in GW and you can't go inline in gateway mode. Everything will work in Luma. You can even move your GW saves over to your SysNAND. I recommend using Luma for most things and GW mode JUST FOR RUNNING RED CARD GAMES. I will post better instructions. My Fiancee is waiting . I just wanted to make sure you didn't get misled..

If you like you can also update your EmuNAND to a hybrid 11.6/11.2 setup that will run all games and go online. I would just use Luma for that stuff. That's for another post.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/

I'm fairly unbiased.

if the OP is willing to ditch gateway then that's the objectively recommended route. it only requires one time accidentally booting sysnand with gw and you'll have a brick or loose hax forever until you get a DS flashcard for NTRboothax. it's happened before. also it's a huge hassle if you intend to play any games online off of it with a risk of ban. edit: another issue brough to my attention lately is it only really -really- saves the save when you exit out to homemenu?? so one guy lost like a weeks time of progress in a game cause it never saved his... well, save.

the device is abandoned and no longer supported (unless someone make a homebrew cfw/firm for it that patches out nintys firm overwriting making it 100% 11.6 compatible.)

Just go full luma, it's foolproof and much safer.

if OP insists on using the gateway then fair enough lol, I don't think you missed anything in your steps. good post :)

Last edited by GizmoTheGreen,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it only requires one time accidentally booting sysnand with gw and you'll have a brick or loose hax forever

Gateway SysNAND works fine...you just can't update beyond 11.2 (ignoring the frankenfirm route) and you need to block updates if you do. That said, with recent advancements, there's really very little reason beyond 3ds loading for sticking with it at this point.

Reactions: GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway SysNAND works fine...you just can't update beyond 11.2 (ignoring the frankenfirm route) and you need to block updates if you do. That said, with recent advancements, there's really very little reason beyond 3ds loading for sticking with it at this point.

yeah, it works fine on 11.2, anything above that ninti made it auto-rewrite stock firm on boot if it can. so you loose cfw. so if you have a 11.6 sysnand 11.2 emunand setup, it's kinda risky.
stay on 11.2 sysnand or frankenfirm if you wanna stay safe, basically.

Reactions: mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it works fine on 11.2, anything above that ninti made it auto-rewrite stock firm on boot if it can. so you loose cfw. so if you have a 11.6 sysnand 11.2 emunand setup, it's kinda risky.
stay on 11.2 sysnand or frankenfirm if you wanna stay safe, basically.
I'm well aware of how it works, but there's effectively no risk using that setup since you'll be chainloading into Gateway anyway. You'd have to REALLY want to boot Gateway into SysNAND (the key selection alone is warning enough for Gateway SysNAND boot) and at that point...well, you probably deserve to lose hacks ;) Still tho, the point remains that's effectively only worth using for specific use cases at this stage.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly unbiased.

if the OP is willing to ditch gateway then that's the objectively recommended route. it only requires one time accidentally booting sysnand with gw and you'll have a brick or loose hax forever until you get a DS flashcard for NTRboothax. it's happened before. also it's a huge hassle if you intend to play any games online off of it with a risk of ban. edit: another issue brough to my attention lately is it only really -really- saves the save when you exit out to homemenu?? so one guy lost like a weeks time of progress in a game cause it never saved his... well, save.

the device is abandoned and no longer supported (unless someone make a homebrew cfw/firm for it that patches out nintys firm overwriting making it 100% 11.6 compatible.)

Just go full luma, it's foolproof and much safer.

if OP insists on using the gateway then fair enough lol, I don't think you missed anything in your steps. good post :)

If you were TRULY unbiased you would help him with his question. You might tell him to go B9S because it's the smart way. But you wouldn't tell him to ditch GW. An unbiased person will help him make EVERYTHING work.

I don't recommend ditching Gateway. That's a wasteful route. Just put all of your games you don't play online on the Red cart. Gateway IS SAFE. IF you're not an idiot :) To boot in to SysNAND mode in GW it gives you a warning and it makes you put a special key combo. It's works fine in Emunand. If you want to go online in GW mode you can update to all EmuNAND OS files except 3 to 11.6. It's easy. There are packs all set up floating around.

IF you update your EmuNAND to 11.6 all you have to do is boot in to it using Luma, and use sysupdater to downgrade 3 files back to 11.2 and it will work. All features will work. Online too..
There is a few good reasons to use Gateway.
  1. You want to. It's yours and you own it. It is easy and works as well as it ever did. Enjoy your toy
  2. EXTRA SD- buying 2 smaller SD cards is MUCH CHEAPER than buying a big one. Plus the slot is easier to swap SD cards than the hidden internal 3DS SD.
  3. .3DS loading. - convenient and works well.
  4. FUTURE STUFF- There is a handful of people working on using the GW for Homebrew storage(awseoome) think of all your NES, SNES, etc on the extra SD.

I'm well aware of how it works, but there's effectively no risk using that setup since you'll be chainloading into Gateway anyway. You'd have to REALLY want to boot Gateway into SysNAND (the key selection alone is warning enough for Gateway SysNAND boot) and at that point...well, you probably deserve to lose hacks ;) Still tho, the point remains that's effectively only worth using for specific use cases at this stage.

All Gateway related risks are EASILY avoidable. There are a ton of games that have no good online capability, those are great for GW! Don't be a dumbass any you're okay. Make up your mind. And have a good time. Politics and fear don't belong here. I enjoy my GW. Putting your toys in a drawer renders then USELESS. Play with it if you got it.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
If you were TRULY unbiased you would help him with his question. You might tell him to go B9S because it's the smart way. But you wouldn't tell him to ditch GW. An unbiased person will help him make EVERYTHING work.

to be fair I only made the assumption simply installing CFW (b9s/luma) that he asked for he would loose GW functionality. beyond that is actually more than he asked for, if you're to take his post literally :) perfectly unbiased.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be fair I only made the assumption simply installing CFW (b9s/luma) that he asked for he would loose GW functionality. beyond that is actually more than he asked for, if you're to take his post literally :) perfectly unbiased.

The popular response around the Temp regarding anything Gateway is "Just ditch it". You are just repeating what you hear. B9S doesn't mean you can't use Gateway. It's the all too common lie "people" around here use to get people to convert. To be fair, maybe you're not biased. Maybe just uneducated on the subject? There is a lot of misinformation out there especially on the Temp. Fake News LOL (JK T-Rump sucks) GW is worthwhile and safe with a few precautions. I am running it on a O3DS 11.6 B9S/Luma all current with a Hybrid EmuNAND and a private header on my 2 games I like to go online with. I have had the thing set up since 4.5 and I am cool with it. I am 99% Luma these days but GW is totally usable. It's easy to carry a few mSD cards for it in my 3DS case. Changing them is fast. Also when I just want to try a game quickly its easier to drag n drop it to the GW rather than Booping (my favorite method) or FreeSHOP, mSD management, FBI etc. Slap the SD in my PC. My D/load speed is FAST (A+ on speed-test) on my PC and the game transfers to the SD fast as well. From download to playing the game in far less time than FreeSHOP even. I'll install things to the SysNAND if it turns out I like the game but as a quick test GW is the best option IMHO. Lots of useful applications.. If you look back at the shit I have taken around here just for telling someone how to use their Gateway it's unbelievable. I NEVER back down because saying it doesn't work is complete crap. Present the options and the information and let someone make an EDUCATED CHOICE instead of being a stupid sheeple. I just want the truth to be heard. Maybe these threads will help some people.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia

I don't recommend ditching Gateway. That's a wasteful route. Just put all of your games you don't play online on the Red cart. Gateway IS SAFE. IF you're not an idiot :) To boot in to SysNAND mode in GW it gives you a warning and it makes you put a special key combo. It's works fine in Emunand. If you want to go online in GW mode you can update to all EmuNAND OS files except 3 to 11.6. It's easy. There are packs all set up floating around.

IF you update your EmuNAND to 11.6 all you have to do is boot in to it using Luma, and use sysupdater to downgrade 3 files back to 11.2 and it will work. All features will work. Online too..
There is a few good reasons to use Gateway.
  1. You want to. It's yours and you own it. It is easy and works as well as it ever did. Enjoy your toy
  2. EXTRA SD- buying 2 smaller SD cards is MUCH CHEAPER than buying a big one. Plus the slot is easier to swap SD cards than the hidden internal 3DS SD.
  3. .3DS loading. - convenient and works well.
  4. FUTURE STUFF- There is a handful of people working on using the GW for Homebrew storage(awseoome) think of all your NES, SNES, etc on the extra SD.

All Gateway related risks are EASILY avoidable. There are a ton of games that have no good online capability, those are great for GW! Don't be a dumbass any you're okay. Make up your mind. And have a good time. Politics and fear don't belong here. I enjoy my GW. Putting your toys in a drawer renders then USELESS. Play with it if you got it.

he did ask he want to get CFW
Gateway3ds to CFW? Not sure what state my 3DS is in now.

so i think helping him to ditch gateway is a valid point in this thread.
this is OP thread, and we are giving him an option, but to recommend him only to still use GW?
he still have an option to keep using GW, he said most of his games is installed as .cia games.

so if he backup his emunand, he can restore it to sysnand and hack the 3DS from there because it will be on 11.2.

for abcc4life , what sysnand version you have right now?
if you still on 11.2 on less then you don't need NTRboot.

Last edited by aos10,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he did ask he want to get CFW
Gateway3ds to CFW? Not sure what state my 3DS is in now.

so i think helping him to ditch gateway is a valid point in this thread.
this is OP thread, and we are giving him an option, but to recommend him only to still use GW?
he still have an option to keep using GW, he said most of his games is installed as .cia games.

so if he backup his emunand, he can restore it to sysnand and hack the 3DS from there because it will be on 11.2.

for abcc4life , what sysnand version you have right now?
if you still on 11.2 on less then you don't need NTRboot.

So what? Installing CFW and Getting rid of Gateway are two completely different things. Getting rid of Gateway is not the point of anyone but you guys. In every GW thread. Stop it.
Give him COMPLETE and ACCURATE information and let the OP decide. You guys always present like shit canning GW is the only good option. It's not. Stop it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
I still use my Gateway, mostly because I don't use my 3DS a lot anymore and it's a hassle to get all my games again in CIA format and convert all the saves.

That being said, if you want to switch it's fairly easy, just a bit time consuming. You can use this tool to help you export your Gateway saves to decrypted format: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/
It's a lot easier than the alternative, which requires manually renaming the .sav on the SD and exporting one at a time.
It's best to do this first, since accidentally updating (or not knowing not to remove your emuNAND when the guide tells you to do so) will leave you unable to boot into GW mode until you downgrade your sysNAND, or make an emuNAND and downgrade that.
Once that's done you can just follow http://3ds.guide assuming you don't have Gateway Fast Boot. If you have Gateway Fast Boot, the easiest way to get rid of that is to restore a NAND backup from before you installed it. I think there's a way to do it even if you don't have an earlier NAND backup, but I don't know the details.

If you would like to dual boot GW and Luma, keep your emuNAND and continue following the guide as normal, ignoring the "Move emuNAND" part, and make sure to never update your emuNAND past 11.2 or boot Gateway sysNAND mode on 11.3+ (the latter will wipe B9S from your system)
Once you're done with the guide you can follow this to regain GW support: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
This is the setup I have, although I used BootCtr9 as a bootloader so I can boot GW by default, and I hardly ever use Luma.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: wiewiec

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
So what? Installing CFW and Getting rid of Gateway are two completely different things. Getting rid of Gateway is not the point of anyone but you guys. In every GW thread. Stop it.
Give him COMPLETE and ACCURATE information and let the OP decide. You guys always present like shit canning GW is the only good option. It's not. Stop it.
I said my reason, go read it, he said most of his games are installed as cia, so mostly he is not using gateway anyway.
Also read the title again.
Gateway to cfw.
we still need OP's answer of what configuration his using, does he wants dual boot?
Does he want one os?

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, with a 4.5 3DS, gateway and a CFW which hosts the majority of my games via CIA.
I've been thinking about upgrading the whole thing but one point that holds me back is, what do I actually stand to gain? I can run every game via CIA (not tried a new rom on the gateway for a year or so though), so for the sake of myself, and maybe the OP, what are the pro's and cons?

If I lost the ability to use the gateway (which I mainly use to store games larger than 1GB on a 32GB card), I'd probably have to upgrade the SD in my 3DS, which is another set of headaches but the nerd in me wants to tinker with new hacks.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, with a 4.5 3DS, gateway and a CFW which hosts the majority of my games via CIA.
I've been thinking about upgrading the whole thing but one point that holds me back is, what do I actually stand to gain? I can run every game via CIA (not tried a new rom on the gateway for a year or so though), so for the sake of myself, and maybe the OP, what are the pro's and cons?

If I lost the ability to use the gateway (which I mainly use to store games larger than 1GB on a 32GB card), I'd probably have to upgrade the SD in my 3DS, which is another set of headaches but the nerd in me wants to tinker with new hacks.
If you want to keep using GW, do the dual boot route (luma on sysnand, and GW on emunand)
You can install b9s on your 3DS and restore all games from your emunand to sysnand.

It's all up to you.
Is gw that important to you?
The cheat engine function is already available on NTR AR.

Reactions: nine0nine

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Not a whole lot besides some neat Luma3DS features (a lot of which you can get with NTR-CFW anyway) and support for the latest firmware. And never having to worry about firmware updates again as they're mostly painless with Luma.
It's mostly the little things. You certainly won't miss Gateway once all is said and done, but it is a bit of a hassle to switch.
FreeShop is much more convenient than .3DS files though. You can use FreeShop on GW too, but .3DS roms are like the one benefit GW still has, and it's not much of a benefit anymore.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.