Hacking Gateway v2.0 Part 2: NAND Emulation

Flurry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic appears to be looping. (Although that's common for these things...)

People, stop complaining about lack of 4.5+ support. It takes a lot of time for them to do these things some people consider simple. When they get everything stable, they will probably look into it. Although, chances are, they will wait for someone else to find an exploit. I'm not saying they aren't capable, just they are focused on improving the current build and making the experience better for currents users.

To add to the topic so this post isn't worthless, this is really cool feature!
When they announced backing up nand, I suspected they had something like this in mind.
I personally would like to stay on 4.5, but would enjoy being able to update while retaining my firmware.
I assume you can install the GateWay hack without owning a GateWay (I have no interest in 3DS games so it doesn't matter to me)
Mostly because of future Homebrew (I would die for a decent SNES emu...)

Anyway, I'm glad to see GateWay is really making some neat progress!

esmrjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt they are interested in improving their product for current users more then they are interested in increasing their user base. Those people have already paid their money, and they want to sell more units so from a business standpoint it would make sense to focus on supporting higher firmware and bringing in new money.

Flurry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that is true.
But there are people like me that have 4.5, but are not yet convinced to purchase it yet. And as I stated, they will probably wait for someone else to find an exploit in newer firmwares, as they are still focused on stabilizing the current product. People complaining and begging for it does nothing, because if they could add 4.5+ support, they would.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again, I'm skeptical and the GW clearly doesn't want our money enough to want to work towards 5.x or 6.x firmware support, amirite?:creep:

How do you know they aren't looking? Do you expect them just to keep silent or ignore current users, while they look for a new exploit?

I'm sure they want your money, but it's not like they can just whip up a brand new exploit. The way people carry on you would think gateway have a >4.5 exploit ready to go and are just being dicks and holding on it.

Eyesenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and i say it again THANK YOU GATEWAY!! and for all the others that are bitching for them not supporting 6.3-firmwares lets be honest im sure its not that they dont want to support it but more that they just simply cant yet or never will because they havent found an "entrance"in newer firwares, for example look at the ps3 its 3.55 or nothing and its been ever since so if i was you guys id say stop whining about it, sell your 6.3 3ds system and buy a 4.5used before the prices go up on em like the ps3 did

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I'm no hacker or homebrew coder by any means..... But I am truly astounded by all the comments regarding fimware 6 support...... Does everyone think user-mode and kernel exploits grow on trees or something?

Gateway team have made amazing progress since day 1. They said it since early this year and 3DSBrew implied it sometime ago: you want hacks, stay on 4.5..... It's really that simple guys *goes to boot up his 4.5 firmware 3DS XL* :yaysp:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they have yet to mention anything about the rom dump feature, think that could have just been a mistake?

Not a mistake, it's on the GUI in the video. When they first launch it, the icon is there with backup 3ds game cartridge.

Would would they mention? It was in part 1 and there is not much more to say on it, other than you can backup your cart.

opal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did you notice that they are running MH4 with online (wifi) enabled? That means playing online will probably be possible...

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Oooo, I may need to buy a Gateway now... I'm just too lazy to buy one though since I feel like I'll get screwed eventually when a better option appears like what happened to my G6 Lite + Pass card -> DSOne -> CycloDS -> DSTwo

kira1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Not a mistake, it's on the GUI in the video. When they first launch it, the icon is there with backup 3ds game cartridge.

Would would they mention? It was in part 1 and there is not much more to say on it, other than you can backup your cart.

they never actually said that it had rom cartridge dumping, it was just in one of the pictures. BTW I never saw it in the video, thanks for pointing that out.

bikewow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oooo, I may need to buy a Gateway now... I'm just too lazy to buy one though since I feel like I'll get screwed eventually when a better option appears.

If another flashcart appears I doubt the Gateway will become the inferior option. If anything, they would be able to reverse-engineer the new exploit and perhaps gain better compatibility.
At the end of the day you can't really *lose* with the Gateway if you already have 4.5 - You have at your disposal the entire game library so far, with promised future support for Pokemon X/Y (and maybe by extension Animal Crossing). At what it costs, that is already great value, and I am of the opinion that you will more than get your use out of what the Gateway currently has to offer (and perhaps future offerings) before any worthy competition pops up.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, considering how quick the alleged "unhackable" 3DS was hacked by this team, I wouldn't be surprised

But was it a 2012 model? Would it be weird to call them up and ask what year it is?

I went in and specifically said i wanted 2012 models, the guy didnt question, went out the back and returned with 7 or 8 to look at and show him how i could tell lol

and people getting confused, even myself lol, wouldnt it be
Its dump Nand to SD
Prepare whats needed on SD Card, it says format, but isnt launcher.dat always needed there ??
Boot into Gateway Boot (EmuNand)
Update Emunand like normal update I take it (If it can update and eshop, doesnt that mean online ???)

i thought the patches they are porting arent made to the nand, they are in the launcher, so which while being able to boot to an emunand of 6.3 it allows eshop/online ?? and run all games apart from XY/Animal Crossing.??

bikewow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder what the nature of the limitation to using your own dumped NAND is, and whether or not it will ever be lifted.
I remember with the Wii, they eventually figured out a way to generate a fresh NAND.

TakuyaZack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Really Regretting what i did on the day one of receiving my 3ds

-Unboxed. Really liking it
-Goes to set up wifi and stuffs
-Proceed to press the update menu, thinking i will get some stuffs
-Currently on 4.5
-Updated to 6.2

Regretting all this now

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, that is true.
But there are people like me that have 4.5, but are not yet convinced to purchase it yet. And as I stated, they will probably wait for someone else to find an exploit in newer firmwares, as they are still focused on stabilizing the current product. People complaining and begging for it does nothing, because if they could add 4.5+ support, they would.

It would be faster to get three more customers then to convinces the skepticals, you still havent made your point on that one.

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do you know they aren't looking? Do you expect them just to keep silent or ignore current users, while they look for a new exploit?

I'm sure they want your money, but it's not like they can just whip up a brand new exploit. The way people carry on you would think gateway have a >4.5 exploit ready to go and are just being dicks and holding on it.

Actually from their own mouth they said the same hacks will work up to 6.2 with only minor changes in memory locations.
Everything you just said, if based off finding "new" exploits, has no merit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes