Gateway v2.0 Part 2 - NAND Emulation and MH4 Working

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Ryukouki, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Gateway team has finally come clean with the newest information regarding the new firmware update version 2.0. After a few weeks of wild speculation, anger, and curiosity, the news is out. The new update is said to be able to emulate the latest firmwares without the need to spoof the firmware. This is accomplished by using the 3DS as a standalone NAND image. It will first involve backing up your NAND, but what this means is that the eShop is finally available.​
    What this also means is that right now, firmwares 6.X and above currently do not work. Monster Hunter 4 is also working, but Pokemon X and Y are currently being worked on. A minor announcement from the team, but Gateway apologizes for the stock issues, and says that units will now move within 24 hours!​

:arrow:Source
    :arrow:Link to ongoing discussion

2. omega59

omega59 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    Canada
    I still think that's a guys hand haha!

3. Arizato

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    Wow, this is actually amazing!

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  4. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    You forgot to lock this thread Ryu. :P

nukeboy95 likes this.
  5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    How can this have no views or likes but have 3 comments? That's what it said on the main page.

On topic though, I don't have a 3DS, but I would like to get involved in these discussions. It hurts to not be able to contribute meaningful comments on a system that is always being talked about. Like every third/fourth thread is 3DS related. And I'm happy that this new Gateway is working for you guys.

6. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    woow this is really amazing... :S I'm thinking now of getting a 3DS for Gateway :/

7. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    So will this allow users on 5.x or 6.x firmwares to use the Gateway or is this still just for people on 4.x?

8. Arizato

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009

Still just 4.1-4.5 but will be able to "emulate" future firmwares using your NAND backup. Might be wrong, but this is what I've gathered from this.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This is awesome, but useless to everyone already on FW > 4.5, including me. I wish they would focus more on that one feature that everyone wants, instead of adding lots of features people didn't know they wanted :P

10. Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2006

From my interpretation of it......

You can still remain on 4.5 for backups

You make a nand backup of your personal nand. This gets stored specially onto the SD Card.

You can then optionally boot the 3ds into the fake SD-card held nand. You can then install a legitimate system update to your '3DS'....... as a result it is actually writing the update to what it thinks is the real NAND but is actually to the SD card.

End result, from what I gather than, is basically you can then play legit recent games, and use store/online play etc via the backed-up-and-updated SD card nand, and revert to 4.5 for playing the backups. Can't see how it would allow anything else.

A bit risky IMO though, should it be perfectly fine right now, nothing to say the next system update version would not do a more intense forced check of the nand, and then make people accidentally update the wrong one

11. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    I wonder if emulating firmwares now will allow retail games with higher fw on them to be played.
    Also wonder if using the 3ds as a nand image will be used to get Animal crossing and Pokemon working.

Anyway, look forward to anything this team brings out, they just keep on surprising...in a good way.
    Cant wait to try out MH4.

12. Flame
    This message by Flame has been removed from public view by Cyan, Oct 16, 2013, Reason: innapropriate.
    Oct 16, 2013
  13. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.