Status
Not open for further replies.

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Based on the emails people have been posting, Gateway will not upgrade their hardware and the current cards will function on 9.x firmware.

However since nobody knows how they're solving it, when they are solving it and how they'll overcome the whole updating without the blue card deal - its a potentially risky endeavour to buy the card now. As opposed to waiting untill Gateway offers up more information.
Then again, if it is true that nothing additional is needed, buying now means beating a potential price increase once shops get confirmed that Gateway will work on 9.x so thats the trade-off.

Either you buy it now, risking having a useless card because you ca't upgrade it without the right hardware.
Or you wait, risking a price-increase.

I'm sure people have already been emailing Gateway trying to get confirmation about the whole "how do you plan on updating" deal.

I absolutely agree. I prefer to wait though. Just bought a new 3DSXL (on FW 9.2 now), but I won't buy a Gateway until I'm sure it works properly. You might be right that prices may go up once it has been established that it does work, but I'll take my chances. Better to spend $80 on something that works, than spending $65 on a gamble.

Reactions: Danjal

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I absolutely agree. I prefer to wait though. Just bought a new 3DSXL (on FW 9.2 now), but I won't buy a Gateway until I'm sure it works properly. You might be right that prices may go up once it has been established that it does work, but I'll take my chances. Better to spend $80 on something that works, than spending $65 on a gamble.

i was thinking about importing australian version too. is the eshop the same as EU regionlock?how much import taxes did you have to pay?

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i was thinking about importing australian version too. is the eshop the same as EU regionlock?how much import taxes did you have to pay?

Not sure what you mean - as I said, I haven't bought a GW yet. Just bought a European region 3DSXL (Super Mario 3D Land bundle) through a national retailer. I'm afraid I can't help you with your eshop question, because I have no idea :mellow:

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not sure what you mean - as I said, I haven't bought a GW yet. Just bought a European region 3DSXL (Super Mario 3D Land bundle) through a national retailer. I'm afraid I can't help you with your eshop question, because I have no idea :mellow:

you said: "Just bought a new 3DSXL " nintendo has released a new 3ds calling it new 3ds. thats why i was confused. at the moment its only available in JP and australia

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
i thougt you could just format micro sd card and put other games but thats not the case? :O
Not the case, I don't know how, but the Sky3DS card seems to register the games that you copy to the microSD and use on it, and it has a limit of 10 titles.
And it seems that some folks found a workaround to increase the limit, but the better alternatives are to get a sky3ds clone that doesn't have any artificial limiter on how many games you can "burn" to you microSD or wait gateway to release their update.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Welcome to the world of nintendo confusion.

It would appear that Des_Kaje bought a new (as in unused) '3DS XL' - not a 'new 3DS XL' (as in new model) =P

However, to answer the eshop question - the australian "new 3DS (XL)" is the same region as the EU versions, so the EU eshop should work just fine.
i thougt you could just format micro sd card and put other games but thats not the case? :O
Untill the restrictions are officially lifted, its 10 games and thats that.
There appears to be an internal limit to how many games it can store in a stable manner.

Though SKY3DS claims to be trying to find a solution to that problem.
And there are glitchy ways to get 11+ games to run - this is at the risk of corrupting your microSD and saves. (I.E. not recommended)

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ok thx Danjal. just ordere a NEW NEW 3ds xl haha :P

New Nintendo 3DS XL (Metallic Black)
(Australia, PAL)1US$ 259.99
~208.21 EUR
Usually ships within 1 to 2 weeks

hope customes will be nice to me and not charge me :(

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
My money is on gateway. they sometimes had slow releases with eshop not working and stuff but they always fixed it so far.
tell your friend to be very picky with the games he puts on :P the 10 game limit is permanent, there is weird tricks to try bypass it, but tbh it will likely just end up in lost saves/corrupt SD card as it involves randomly pulling the card out between switching games

basically the first 10 games he plays are locked to the card and only those same 10 games will work on it

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tell your friend to be very picky with the games he puts on :P the 10 game limit is permanent, there is weird tricks to try bypass it, but tbh it will likely just end up in lost saves/corrupt SD card as it involves randomly pulling the card out between switching games

basically the first 10 games he plays are locked to the card and only those same 10 games will work on it

i was thinking of putting top 10 multiplayer games on it.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hope customes will be nice to me and not charge me :(
Don't count on it, pretty sure you'll be paying extra for the various added fees and costs involved. (Import duty/taxes)

If you google "import customs duty calculator" you should get to a site that may give you an idea how much.
The total will depend on shipping and insurance costs though.

Calculation and compliance notes
Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance

• New 3DS XL is duty free and a has a VAT rate of 21% . This product has dual-use and therefore requires an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) [High probability].
Notes on import taxes due

• Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you said: "Just bought a new 3DSXL " nintendo has released a new 3ds calling it new 3ds. thats why i was confused. at the moment its only available in JP and australia

Aah, excuse me, I get it now. Not the clearest choice of words, hehe. What I meant was that I bought a new 3DSXL - 'new' meaning not second-hand. It is a regular 3DSXL, so not the 'New 3DSXL' which hasn't appeared in Europe yet. Sorry for the confusion :ha:

BTW, the 10 game limit might not be ideal, but if you have 10 great games, it's still a very useful card. Think wisely before deciding the games though ;)

redboyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't count on it, pretty sure you'll be paying extra for the various added fees and costs involved. (Import duty/taxes)

If you google "import customs duty calculator" you should get to a site that may give you an idea how much.
The total will depend on shipping and insurance costs though.

A moment of silence and let us pray to the internet Gods for a free passage.:bow:

slowmotioning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how well Sky3DS (and clones) are selling in comparison to Gateway. Anyone know some resellers willing to share sales numbers? B-)

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder how well Sky3DS (and clones) are selling in comparison to Gateway. Anyone know some resellers willing to share sales numbers? B-)

You should compare to when Gateway first released vs when Sky3DS was released, obviously right now Gateway sales probably slowed down, because most people already own it...

mcsdoode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bit the bullet and bought the limited edition Sm4sh New 3DS XL... now to just wait on the Gateway Gods to deliver unto us lowly humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)