Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not a software update, it's an FPGA update. It's gonna reconfigure the integrated circuit to change functionality.
If it was a kernel exploit they wouldn't tell people to stay on 4.5...
It will just allow games to be read from the red cart on 9.2 systems.

Excuse my ignorance but.. How do they update the FPGA?

ztoben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He doesn't have to update since smealum's exploit works on many other firmwares too. :P

But the gateway update is meant for 9.x, so they might as well update since it gives them the latest firmware and access to both exploits. It just makes the most sense.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If it was a kernel exploit they wouldn't tell people to stay on 4.5...

Again with this argument? Come on, this is the third time the discusion goes back to the same point.

Friday:
To everyone saying that Gateway's recommendation to stay on 4.x if you are on that means that the "new" method means less features.

Not necessarily - I would say its more of a "better safe than sorry" or "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." kinda deal.

Saturday:

Im guessing that the whole point of asking customers to stay on 4.5 similar to don't fix something if it isn't broken rather than a hint that the 9.x is less feature packed.

Yesterday:

Let's see what Gateway brings to us, yeah? Keeping on with the speculation, I'm keen in believing that Gateway warns people to not advance beyond 4.5 for the sole fact of commodity. As someone said earlier in the thread "why fix what isn't broken?" It's not like Nintendo's firmware upgrades did wonders and marvels anyways.

Oh well.. I agree that it seems that it will have different/less features than 4.X, but that other argument is getting old.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Again with this argument? Come on, this is the third time the discusion goes back to the same point.

Friday:

Saturday:

Yesterday:

Oh well.. I agree that it seems that it will have different/less features than 4.X, but that other argument is getting old.
So you're saying that Gateway (and DSTWO apparently) coming up with a 9.2 exploit right after Sky3DS is released is just an amazing coincidence?

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
So really for those of us on 4.5 with 9xx emunand, we are going to have to do this update? Why are they advising those of us on 4.5 to stay on 4.5?

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
So you're saying that Gateway (and DSTWO) coming up with a 9.2 exploit right after Sky3DS is released is just an amazing coincidence?
The point has been made clear. Their trick won't work in 8.1 and below, so of course it's something else.
Adding to that, I did mention before that GW was probably working on this a while before Sky3DS. It's not coincidential by any means, but GW knew the right moment when to announce. They were going to either way, but this just made it even better.

Dunno 'bout DSTWO though. Probably the same thing?
So really for those of us on 4.5 with 9xx emunand, we are going to have to do this update? Why are they advising those of us on 4.5 to stay on 4.5?
As said and SPECULATED a few posts before, it's probably for the sake of commodity. No one really knows if GW will cut on features or not. I'm somewhat certain if something was happening, they'd have said so right now.

D

Deleted-355425

they would of told everyone to update to 9.x if it was going to be better then the 4.x exploit.. cant argue with that remark :D

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
they would of told everyone to update to 9.x if it was going to be better then the 4.x exploit.. cant argue with that remark :D
:unsure: You have a point there ...

Question! Just how.. Proficient is Gateway with their grammar and linguistics?

Edit: With that, I'm asking people to recall to earlier announcements, their speculations back then and what actually happened.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Dunno why everyone is hanging onto the "don't update if you are on 4.5" remark.

They might have just said it, so we don't get a bunch of tards updating right now, then complaining their card no longer works.
Also true, we might be looking a bit too much into it. :unsure:

Edit: That would go well with what they said afterwards, asking the community to spread the word and NOT update their cards further. With a headline like Gateway's (GATEWAY ADDING 9.X SUPPORT) it's easy for some to just update without worry.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So you're saying that Gateway (and DSTWO apparently) coming up with a 9.2 exploit right after Sky3DS is released is just an amazing coincidence?
Put it like this. Do you think that Gateway and DSTWO teams have been sitting on their hands doing nothing - waiting for another team to overtake them?
Or is it probable that they were already working on getting the higher firmware open.

The only "amazing coincidence" is the timing of the release. With is right when the Japanese New 3DS is released and the Australian (EU region) New 3DS is about to be released.
Not to mention a pretty much guaranteed success title in ORAS.

I personally suspect that the timing has more to do with Nintendo's agenda, than it has to do with that of competing flash cards.
As many have pointed out, SKY3DS (and clones) may be the only cards that work above 4.x right now - but they are severely lacking on other features that make Gateway a very attractive card.

Now is it possible that the release of SKY3DS pushed theer agendas forward? I agree, that is a possibility.
Could they be using similar ways through as these other cards? Sure, thats a possibility.
Does anyone here believe that they have been sitting on their hands waiting for someone else to figure out the solutions though?

Its basicly a tech-race. With SKY3DS pushing out their solution first - albeit with massive drawbacks. While others may have wanted to polish their solutions first.
Just because they hadn't released it yet doesn't mean that they now are using the very same solution as their competition. (Neither does it mean they don't.)
Whether they do or do not is pure speculation however.

What we know for sure is that if anyone that has 4.x firmware and a Gateway card would update right now.
They would be left with a card they couldn't use untill Gateway pushes out their update.
Zero speculation needed there, thats a fact. Since Gateway currently only works on 4.x firmware.

Now to me. That right there is enough reason not to update.

And while it is possible, or even probable that the 9.x solution used by Gateway will have different functionality from their 4.x release.
There's a reason why they say that the features and functionality isn't set in stone yet. Probably because they are still working on it.
They probably set an internal deadline or 'minimum functionality' requirement and are trying to get the most out of their solution before pushing it out.
Knowing full well that Nintendo probably will close the gates shortly after they push out their latest update.

The primary edge that Gateway has over SKY3DS isn't being able to run on 9.x - its being able to run DS and homebrew.
And unless they physically can't overcome that barrier, they would be crazy to release a card with limited functionality and risk Nintendo patching out the exploit.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I work with what we already know. The only known 9.2 functionality right now is 1:1 rom dumps running from the cartridge slot.
Everything else is meaningless speculation.

They didn't say their exploit can't run Xbox One games on the 3DS, so that might be a possibility, right?

Reactions: Deleted-355425

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Put it like this. Do you think that Gateway and DSTWO teams have been sitting on their hands doing nothing - waiting for another team to overtake them?
Or is it probable that they were already working on getting the higher firmware open.

The only "amazing coincidence" is the timing of the release. With is right when the Japanese New 3DS is released and the Australian (EU region) New 3DS is about to be released.

I personally suspect that the timing has more to do with Nintendo's agenda, than it has to do with that of competing flash cards.
As many have pointed out, SKY3DS (and clones) may be the only cards that work above 4.x right now - but they are severely lacking on other features that make Gateway a very attractive card.

Now is it possible that the release of SKY3DS pushed theer agendas forward? I agree, that is a possibility.
Could they be using similar ways through as these other cards? Sure, thats a possibility.
Does anyone here believe that they have been sitting on their hands waiting for someone else to figure out the solutions though?

Its basicly a tech-race. With SKY3DS pushing out their solution first - albeit with massive drawbacks. While others may have wanted to polish their solutions first.
Just because they hadn't released it yet doesn't mean that they now are using the very same solution as their competition. (Neither does it mean they don't.)

What we know for sure is that if anyone that has 4.x firmware and a Gateway card would update right now.
They would be left with a card they couldn't use untill Gateway pushes out their update.
Zero speculation needed there, thats a fact. Since Gateway currently only works on 4.x firmware.

And while it is possible, or even probable that the 9.x solution used by Gateway will have different functionality from their 4.x release.
There's a reason why they say that the features and functionality isn't set in stone yet. Probably because they are still working on it.
They probably set an internal deadline or 'minimum functionality' requirement and are trying to get the most out of their solution before pushing it out.
Knowing full well that Nintendo probably will close the gates shortly after they push out their latest update.

The primary edge that Gateway has over SKY3DS isn't being able to run on 9.x - its being able to run DS and homebrew.
And unless they physically can't overcome that barrier, they would be crazy to release a card with limited functionality and risk Nintendo patching out the exploit.

Couldnt have said it better.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Phantom_User
D

Deleted-355425

That still doesn't prove anything, its still ifs and buts, they said don't update to 9.x for a reason, and just because it will leave you without something in the meanwhile really doesn't add up and make a good reason at all, they could say 'stick with 4.x until we say then go buy a game that will have a 9.x update then you can use our new exploit'

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, it would be really awesome if we had emunand on 9.2 but I wouldn't count on that right now.
If such a thing was possible Sky3DS would have it already since GW Launcher 1.0 has been decrypted a long time ago.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Im guessing, that they are starting from scratch since its a new exploit. That being said the dont update past 4.x message is ment to those who want full functionality. (Just speculating.)

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That still doesn't prove anything, its still ifs and buts, they said don't update to 9.x for a reason, and just because it will leave you without something in the meanwhile really doesn't add up and make a good reason at all, they could say 'stick with 4.x until we say then go buy a game that will have a 9.x update then you can use out new exploit'
You're assuming requirements though - I'm simply saying "right now" this applies.
Any future changes are irrelevant as its speculation.

Maybe they will tell 4.x users to update, maybe they won't. Nobody knows.
But if a 4.x user updates now, they can no longer use their card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you get the words yawn and wut you'll be golden +1