Hacking Gateway savegame question

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's always been able to do that. If you were to save in game, turn off console, switch game, then go back tot eh first game, the save wouldnt be there. Saves only work without having to go home first as long as you dont switch games.

This post I found in the OMEga thread.

Question... what is the proper way to save?? I am confused...

I play tales of abyss for 8 hours now and I always save by powering off... save always there,, haven't switched games...

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the omega update the games save as if they were a retail cartridge other than the fact that they save to your sd card in your 3ds you dont have to do the homebutton and exit the game after saving trick anymore...when u save ingame it saves however any firmware before omega you must save by hitting the home button and exiting to the home menu =] hope this helps also could you post your questions such as this in the noob thread from now on?

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I see thanks.. so with firmware in previous . You save ingame, and then home button exit to home menu....

Anyway I have Another question what is the of back NAnD and stuff like that?
Do I need that?

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see thanks.. so with firmware in previous . You save ingame, and then home button exit to home menu....

Anyway I have Another question what is the of back NAnD and stuff like that?
Do I need that?
If you dont know what a nand is. Backup your nand just in case. You will need your nand backup to restore your 3ds if it ever bricks or if you accidentally update. I personally thought I would never need my nand backed up, but thank god i did so or I would have a new 3ds now.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So let me get this straight. You backup NAND. it is stored on the big SD, in a single file and you copy it to your computer to be safe.

After let's say you update your 3ds accidently. then you wouldn't be able to acces gateway anymore to even restore this nand right?? so what is the use?

Is the nand equal to like firmware?

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight. You backup NAND. it is stored on the big SD, in a single file and you copy it to your computer to be safe.

After let's say you update your 3ds accidently. then you wouldn't be able to acces gateway anymore to even restore this nand right?? so what is the use?

Is the nand equal to like firmware?

Restoring a sysnand backup always requires a hardware mod, 4 pins to be accurate. Search around here for more information, there are countless threads on it.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I made a sysnand its almost 1 GB.
Saved it to my external HDD.

I see... hardware?? Just curious im no technical guy..

How would someone need the sysnand to restore it? I mean aside from hardware mod?

I see gateway has the option FORMAT SystemNAND, what does this do?
Is the 3ds Unusable after this?

Just a short nuts and bolts explanation for a noob .

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Backup NAND -> create a copy of your console's data into a file (nand.bin), you can keep it safe on your computer if you need to restore your console.
Prepare EmuNAND -> Create a copy of your console's data into a hidden place on your SD card. That "copy of your console" is called EmuNAND. It will be used by Gateway mode instead of using your real console's data.

You will have "dual firmware".
1 - official console System (4.1.0 to 4.5.0)
2 - EmuNAND System (4.1.0 to 7.1.0)

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so I wrote emunand to my SD....

What do you mean with emunand system? I cant update my console right..? so I don't get the system about 7.1

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you "prepared" EmuNAND (not backup, but prepare), you now have a dual boot console.
Try this:

Boot your 3DS, create a folder (for example name it System), you will see a folder with a S letter.
Now go to DS profile, launch gateway mode, the created folder doesn't exist because you are running on a different copy of your console's memory. Create a new folder and name it "EmuNAND", you will see a folder with a E letter.
Now you can differentiate if you are on your Real console's system menu, or on emuNAND system menu.
S = SysNAND (your real console)
E = EmuNAND (the copy of your console on SD card)

If you are on emuNAND, you can update it to 7.1.0, it will only update the emuNAND copy not your real console.
so you can keep your 3DS at 4.x with exploit enable to launch gateway, and have access to eshop on 7.1.0-16 on updated emuNAND.

If you want to update your emuNAND : ALWAYS go into the settings -> check that you see "GW3D" on the bottom right -> go to update menu in the settings.
NEVER update from eshop prompt, or you will update your real console's System menu!

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?