Hacking Gateway save method with only one game?

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

At this moment I am playing only one game (prof. Layton) and am using the gateway method of saving.
But is that really necessary? Is the 'go to HOME and close game' only when playing multiples games?

rgrds

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
No you have to always do it. Click home and then the "X" button to save always.

??? have you been misinformed?

the gateway saves .sav files to the SD card on the 3DS, so you use the games save feature and it does that automatically
so you can just swap games and it will create a new save for the game

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
??? have you been misinformed?

the gateway saves .sav files to the SD card on the 3DS, so you use the games save feature and it does that automatically
so you can just swap games and it will create a new save for the game
No, he's right. The Gateway doesn't write the save file to the SD card until the game is closed via the home menu, so you need to do it even if you aren't changing games.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Really? I could've sworn I forgot to home out once and my save was fine (without swapping ROMs)...

I read (somewhere on this forum) that the saves are stored temporarily on the red cart, and only transferred to your SD upon "Home > Exit".
The gateway will first check for saves on the red cart, then it checks SD card.

So in your case, your save was still on red cart, hence it continued to play.

To be safe, always Home > Exit.

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never went into Home screen to press Exit.
I'm always just shutting down the 3DS, and never had problems with my saves, not even once.

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I answered my own question.
Played Mario Kart a while , switched of the 3ds (complete power down), switched on again, had to apply the 'profile' thing, started up mario kart .... et voila.... it remembered that I unlocked the 3rd circuit.
So if you don't switch games the 'home+ close' seems not necessary..... it's safe of course to use it anyway.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just from seeing people's posts, it seems like maybe the Gateway's 1.2 update may have addressed this little issue. Which is odd because you'd think they would've mentioned that somewhere on their site/release notes.

Zaneris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I answered my own question.
Played Mario Kart a while , switched of the 3ds (complete power down), switched on again, had to apply the 'profile' thing, started up mario kart .... et voila.... it remembered that I unlocked the 3rd circuit.
So if you don't switch games the 'home+ close' seems not necessary..... it's safe of course to use it anyway.
What you did will work 100% of the time, your current game save is always on the red cart itself, if you had switched to another game without hitting close, THEN and only then you would have lost your save.

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I heard red card have a EEPROM inside, which is used by games to save. After you do home + close it copy the EEPROM data to the SD card. So if you use only one game the gateway EEPROM will have the save from this game so it should work I belive. I still don't have to gateway to try it myself so I can't be 100% sure...

Zaneris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I heard red card have a EEPROM inside, which is used by games to save. After you do home + close it copy the EEPROM data to the SD card. So if you use only one game the gateway EEPROM will have the save from this game so it should work I belive. I still don't have to gateway to try it myself so I can't be 100% sure...
Yes, this is exactly how it works.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone who has a gateway should do further testing to see if 1.2 actually did fix the problem. Those of you on 1.1 try saving about 5 games without pressing home + x and see what happens back to back. Those on 1.2, do the same and report back.

Reactions: IronClouds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol