Gateway save file gone. Any way to recover?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by solid278, Jun 10, 2014.

1. solid278
    OP

solid278 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    Playing Danball Senki W and the game crashed. I forced the console off and when I get back into the game, my save file has reverted to one from ten hours earlier (I'm guessing, the last time I exited to the home menu. I guess v2.1 doesn't do true real time saving?). Is there any way to recover that data or is it gone forever?
    Thanks.

2. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    if the save that got deleted has ever been written to the sd card, you can try with a program that recovers deleted files, but if it got overwritten even by only a few bits, it will count as corrupted.
    search "recover deleted files" with google.

3. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    You can try to use recuva.

I'm curious though, did you play for 10 hours and not save at all during that time, or did you save, just not do the home close thing?

If it's the latter then it looks like Gateway's Real Time Saving isn't actually there, or it has some bugs.

4. solid278
    OP

solid278 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the replies.
    It's the latter. I was saving the whole time (I'm not *that* stupid >_>) and in fact just had before it crashed. I'll try out recuva, but I don't have my hopes up. Now that I'm coming to grips with the reality of it, I realize that Gateway must never have written the save to the SD card, possibly due to the system crash, which means it's a temporary file that's now long gone.
    I may be losing hope, but if anyone has any ideas, please don't hesitate to share! I'd love to be wrong.

5. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Nope, it's gone forever. You still have to do Home > X to save, IIRC the RT Save is only for Card 2 games. I learnt that the hard way with a 2 week savegame rollback. :(

6. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Omg we covered this with you already justin in your one week of progress gone thread. Real time save is for all carts. Its just not true real time save. You can use home and x or power your system down. But you have to do one of them for your save to write. Gateway probably didnt spend a lot of time on it and took a shortcut because MOST people turn their system off when they are done playing.

7. solid278
    OP

solid278 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    Argh, so I suppose then the system crashing doesn't count as being turned off?

8. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    No unfortunately it doesnt. Crashing or freezing. For me at least 8 out of 10 times 3ds dying will delete your save too