RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I've been out of the game for some time now but just picked up my 3ds after having completely forgotten about which version of FW and luna I was on etc.. Anyway I ended up upgrading to luna 9.0 and upgrading to 11.6 with no issues. Homebrew and CIAs worked perfect along with side loading into god mode etc. Great :D I then decided to download and install FreeShop which also worked fine.

This is where is goes down hill.

I still have a gateway cart and had the gateway loader working by holding D pad down on boot. So i thought i'd give it a quick go, it loaded with the gateway splash screen as usual and then hard crashed. After rebooting nothing works/launches, no homebrew, no CIA's, no holding START or SELECT for luma or godmode on boot, no left or down D pad... just standard OFW 11.6.

I did find another thread on here (can't post URL) Which states at the top it'll go back to stock FW if used with 11.3 +... FML :( but I wasn't sure how up to date this was and i'm hoping there's a way to get me back on CFW without buying another 3ds lol.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Russ

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep that will happen. Gateway doesnt protect the exploit and the new firmwares try to verify and restore the firmware banks. This will brick N3DS machines luckily it only restores O3DS to stock. You will need to rehack.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Check out
https://3ds.hacks.guide
It has the most uodated info

RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep that will happen. Gateway doesnt protect the exploit and the new firmwares try to verify and restore the firmware banks. This will brick N3DS machines luckily it only restores O3DS to stock. You will need to rehack.

Dam quick response man thanks. I'm on 11.6 now (lucky me) so guessing re-hacking is out of the question for now.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also there is a single 3ds dsiware injection method called seedminer. Look for the thread on this forum and someone can help you hack without having to buy anything but a compatible DSiware game.

RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no its not out of the question theres quite a few methods to get cfw on 11.6 just none of them free

Also there is a single 3ds dsiware injection method called seedminer. Look for the thread on this forum and someone can help you hack without having to buy anything but a compatible DSiware game.

Thanks both - I'll look into them. The soldering method doesn't look 'too' difficult, although I haven't soldered in about 10 years!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Check out
https://3ds.hacks.guide
It has the most uodated info
It won't brick B9S consoles, that was only an issue with A9LH because of how it relied on corrupting the decryption key for FIRM, which the 3DS firmware doesn't restore when it restores FIRM.

Actually 3ds.hacks.guide doesn't have the most updated info right now. It's been outdated for well over a month. But I guess you already knew that.
Thanks both - I'll look into them. The soldering method doesn't look 'too' difficult, although I haven't soldered in about 10 years!
I wouldn't suggest it unless you're confident in your soldering and you have decent soldering equipment.
The seedminer method only requires a DSiWare game worth a few quid and a PC, and has zero risk of bricking.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/seedminer-single-system-dsiware-injection.495685/

Reactions: Garou

RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It won't brick B9S consoles, that was only an issue with A9LH because of how it relied on corrupting the decryption key for FIRM, which the 3DS firmware doesn't restore when it restores FIRM.

Actually 3ds.hacks.guide doesn't have the most updated info right now. It's been outdated for well over a month. But I guess you already knew that.

I wouldn't suggest it unless you're confident in your soldering and you have decent soldering equipment.
The seedminer method only requires a DSiWare game worth a few quid and a PC, and has zero risk of bricking.

Thanks man - dsi injection looks like the best method so far. I've just quickly skimmed the instructions am I right in thinking all I need is a compatible game and I can just brute force with my graphics card or do I still need a friend with CFW to help out?

Cheers!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks man - dsi injection looks like the best method so far. I've just quickly skimmed the instructions am I right in thinking all I need is a compatible game and I can just brute force with my graphics card or do I still need a friend with CFW to help out?

Cheers!
You'll need a CtCert from someone else, but I'm betting someone already uploaded theirs to one of the 3DS warez sites. That ISO site could be worth a look.
I'm not sure exactly why this is needed, but I guess it has something to do with signing the DSiWare file.

If you have homebrew through a game exploit, you can use that to get the LFCS, otherwise you'll need help for that part, as the thread explains. But there are plenty of willing users on this forum ;)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Cheers!

You need either the ability to run usermode homebrew (3dsx) or a friend (defined as someone on your 3ds friends list) with the ability to run 3dsx homebrew for seedminer but there are plenty of people on here that can help you.

The easiest way is to get a Ntrboot compatible DS flash cart which can be used to hack any system or even fix an a9lh brick.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You need either the ability to run usermode homebrew (3dsx) or a friend (defined as someone on your 3ds friends list) with the ability to run 3dsx homebrew for seedminer but there are plenty of people on here that can help you.

The easiest way is to get a Ntrboot compatible DS flash cart which can be used to hack any system or even fix an a9lh brick.
The easiest, but also the slowest.
It is a useful thing to have anyway since it can be reused to hack other 3DSes or used as a DS flashcart, and the DS still has a lot of great games that are worth playing.
But even if he were to order one now he'd have at least a couple of weeks to try to figure out Seedminer in the meantime and would likely have his 3DS hacked by the time it arrived :P

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The easiest, but also the slowest.
It is a useful thing to have anyway since it can be reused to hack other 3DSes or used as a DS flashcart, and the DS still has a lot of great games that are worth playing.
But even if he were to order one now he'd have at least a couple of weeks to try to figure out Seedminer in the meantime and would likely have his 3DS hacked by the time it arrived :P

Yep, and even when they get SDK5 saving working without a donor cart there are some games that will probably never run at full speed with NDS-Bootstrap.

RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I'm using option 'C' and brute forcing my exported MII so it doesn't look like I need a friend, unless i've missed something (I probably have). This will then create moveable_part1.sed which I can then brute force again into moveable.sed which I can then use to patch my exported DSI.bin file. I'll post back tomorrow once with progress, if any lol.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok so I'm using option 'C' and brute forcing my exported MII so it doesn't look like I need a friend, unless i've missed something (I probably have). This will then create moveable_part1.sed which I can then brute force again into moveable.sed which I can then use to patch my exported DSI.bin file. I'll post back tomorrow once with progress, if any lol.
Ah yes, that should work if you can figure it out. I didn't even know that method existed, but I looked over it and it seems like you're right.

RussellClarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a quick update - I'm now back back up and running with bootstrap 9 and Luma 9 with latest 11.6 FW. I did this all with Option C on Zoogie's guide / method. I didn't need anyone else with a hacked 3ds - I just brute forced mii QR, moveable.sed and then used that to patch my exported DSI .bin file (I used EA Sudoku). For reference it took around 4 hours on my PC with a AMD 290x GPU.

The hardest part was actually figuring out how to run the Python commands lol but after googling around I got there.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is news to me
got any source?
It's true. FIRM overwrites (which is what happens when you try to use Gateway on an 11.3+ sysNAND, or update sysNAND in Gateway CFW, or some other seemingly random times using Gateway on sysNAND (seriously don't use Gateway on sysNAND)) only caused bricks on A9LH N3DS systems because A9LH modified the secret sector to work. With a corrupted secret sector, the default N3DS FIRM would be unable to boot. O3DS doesn't make use of the secret sector by default, so overwriting the FIRM merely returns the system to official firmware.

sighax (which B9S uses) allows FIRMs to be installed directly without any of the corruption that A9LH required. Assuming the secret sector was returned to normal when updating from A9LH to B9S (which technically isn't required but IIRC all guides have you do it and I think SafeB9SInstaller requires it), FIRM overwrites just put you back to official firmware on all systems.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
It's true. FIRM overwrites (which is what happens when you try to use Gateway on an 11.3+ sysNAND, or update sysNAND in Gateway CFW, or some other seemingly random times using Gateway on sysNAND (seriously don't use Gateway on sysNAND)) only caused bricks on A9LH N3DS systems because A9LH modified the secret sector to work. With a corrupted secret sector, the default N3DS FIRM would be unable to boot. O3DS doesn't make use of the secret sector by default, so overwriting the FIRM merely returns the system to official firmware.

sighax (which B9S uses) allows FIRMs to be installed directly without any of the corruption that A9LH required. Assuming the secret sector was returned to normal when updating from A9LH to B9S (which technically isn't required but IIRC all guides have you do it and I think SafeB9SInstaller requires it), FIRM overwrites just put you back to official firmware on all systems.
I'm not doubting what he said, just need to know more details on that statement which is exactly what you did
thanks, appreciate it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: i almost destoryed my friends tv playing it on his wii lmao