Hacking Gateway Questions

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a 8.1.0-19E 3DS XL and a Gateway coming in the post. While I'm waiting I need a few questions answered

1. If in the future I install a newer firmware on my emunand does that delete all my .cia games?

2. I'd like to play games from the 3DS, DS and GBA. I understand this means I have to use the red card for the 3DS and blue card for everything else. Can you use the same microSD card with all the games in both the blue and red cards?

3. What is the difference between type 1 and 2 saves? how do they affect my gameplay?

4. What is the maximum microsd size and speed I can use as I'm thinking of using a 64gb or 128gb card? any recommendations on cards?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a 8.1.0-19E 3DS XL and a Gateway coming in the post. While I'm waiting I need a few questions answered

1. If in the future I install a newer firmware on my emunand does that delete all my .cia games?

2. I'd like to play games from the 3DS, DS and GBA. I understand this means I have to use the red card for the 3DS and blue card for everything else. Can you use the same microSD card with all the games in both the blue and red cards?

3. What is the difference between type 1 and 2 saves? how do they affect my gameplay?

4. What is the maximum microsd size and speed I can use as I'm thinking of using a 64gb or 128gb card? any recommendations on cards?

1. No, updating emunand's firmware just simply updates it. The only cia that can be removed are DLC and official themes that you don't normally own. This can happen when accessing eshop or DLC shops in-game.
Edit: Another wya to absolutely delete all the cia installed on your SD card, is by accessing data management while in sysnand. It only works from emunand. Just do everything from emunand and you'll be safe. Also remove all internet connections setup in sysnand.

2. Yes you can use the same micro SD for both cards. but the blue card doesn't work on 8.1. You'll have to install cearp's special cia that unblocks flashcards. Or better yet just downgrade your 3DS to 4.5 and make life easier.

3. card1 saves are saved on the 3DS SD card, and card2 saves are saved inside the rom itself. card2 games are Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Tomodachi Life. Every other game is card1.
Tho you can convert card1 games to be card2, for whatever reason. Just stick to what the rom originally was, don't change it.

4. I'd say a 64 GB is the most you should really go for. Especially since you can install cia instead of using the roms. So your 3DS SD card also plays a role in storing games.
Class 10 is the max speed I believe, I never seen anything higher than class 10 when it comes to micro SD cards. I personally use a 64 GB micro SDXC class 10 card, Sandisk brand. The price was $40 from Amazon.

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. No, updating emunand's firmware just simply updates it. The only cia that can be removed are DLC and official themes that you don't normally own. This can happen when accessing eshop or DLC shops in-game.
Edit: Another wya to absolutely delete all the cia installed on your SD card, is by accessing data management while in sysnand. It only works from emunand. Just do everything from emunand and you'll be safe. Also remove all internet connections setup in sysnand.

2. Yes you can use the same micro SD for both cards. but the blue card doesn't work on 8.1. You'll have to install cearp's special cia that unblocks flashcards. Or better yet just downgrade your 3DS to 4.5 and make life easier.

3. card1 saves are saved on the 3DS SD card, and card2 saves are saved inside the rom itself. card2 games are Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Tomodachi Life. Every other game is card1.
Tho you can convert card1 games to be card2, for whatever reason. Just stick to what the rom originally was, don't change it.

4. I'd say a 64 GB is the most you should really go for. Especially since you can install cia instead of using the roms. So your 3DS SD card also plays a role in storing games.
Class 10 is the max speed I believe, I never seen anything higher than class 10 when it comes to micro SD cards. I personally use a 64 GB micro SDXC class 10 card, Sandisk brand. The price was $40 from Amazon.

1. So can you just have the wireless connection details saved in emunand and leave it blank in system nand

2. Thanks I'm planning on the downgrade

3. Thanks again

4. Do I need to format the card in any particular format, I've seen conflicting information on what it should be

oh 1 more question

5. How do I go about doing cheats on the 3ds using backed up roms?, what are the options available?

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly and clearly :D

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. So can you just have the wireless connection details saved in emunand and leave it blank in system nand

2. Thanks I'm planning on the downgrade

3. Thanks again

4. Do I need to format the card in any particular format, I've seen conflicting information on what it should be

oh 1 more question

5. How do I go about doing cheats on the 3ds using backed up roms?, what are the options available?

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly and clearly :D

1. Yep you can keep the sysnand wifi settings blank. You'll only need it in emunand. Both emunand and sysnand will start up linked. So if you make a connection in emunand, it will show up in sysnand. Just delete it off sysnand and it will still be in emunand.

4. For the SD card, it can be Fat32 (Default format). For the micro SD, it can be fat32 also, and exfat. If you get a 64 GB, it will default to exfat. Fat32 can't hold 4 GB files, but ALL 4 GB games can be trimmed so you should be fine on fat32.

5. There aren't really any cheats, the least you can do is backup saves. For specific games, people have hex edited save files to change values in the game. such as money, character name, items held, etc. I've only seen this done for games like Fantasy Life and Pokemon so far. They even created programs that can edit your save and it's really easy to use. So you can pretty much cheat for those two games.

Reactions: mitpat

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
5. For the cheats what about using devices like the following or does this only work on original cartridges

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Action-Replay-Power-Nintendo/dp/B00CQ9L1Z6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
*snip*

oh 1 more question

additional info for #4, if you plan to use the SD in both the blue and red card you will have to format it to fat32, only the red card will read exfat
andpowersaves will only work with legit carts, but really if you want save cheats there's is always the option of shared saves, or you can manually edit saves by extracting them with savedatafiler...there is also a few pre-made save editors for stuff like pokemon, fantasy life etc....there is the option of game mods and stuff like that with gateway but for the most part you will have to do stuff like that yourself mainly

but for gateway users powersaves is pretty much useless

Reactions: mitpat

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
additional info for #4, if you plan to use the SD in both the blue and red card you will have to format it to fat32, only the red card will read exfat
andpowersaves will only work with legit carts, but really if you want save cheats there's is always the option of shared saves, or you can manually edit saves by extracting them with savedatafiler...there is also a few pre-made save editors for stuff like pokemon, fantasy life etc....there is the option of game mods and stuff like that with gateway but for the most part you will have to do stuff like that yourself mainly

but for gateway users powersaves is pretty much useless

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup