Hacking Gateway or Sky3ds with no wifi

roguesmoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which card is the best option for a v7 firmware 3ds xl which will not have wifi access?

The sky seems to be the easiest in that it should just work but the tradeoff is that its region locked, no eshop games, a rubbish game selection method and it doesnt exactly look like a future-proof product.

The gateway tho needs to be patched every single time its powered up? And it's a hassle to do so without wifi?

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Downgrade then you can use the (offline) DS Profile exploit for the Gateway. It's much faster than pressing the button of the Sky3DS to change the game, especially if you have a lot of ROMs.

tarovisions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For GW I believe you can use an offline method like Go! Gateway if you have an android device; doesn't have to be connected to internet on wi-fi or cellular data. Assuming you need 9.x for any reason.

Is it still a hassle to run? Yeah kinda.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Plasmastar510

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can downgrade to 4.x via GateWay's exploits, if that helps your decision any.

Then you could just use the regular GateWay exploit to boot into GateWay mode.

Reactions: Margen67

Chickenhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone,
This will be my first and probably only post here and I just want you to clarify something for me.

I am going to purchase a 3DSXL soon and I want to be able to play pirated games on it.
Let me make this clear, I don't want to play any pirated game online or use the E-shop.
I don't care about region locks or homebrews. I just want to buy a card that can hold as many pirated games on it as the memory card inserted in it can hold.

Now I don't uderstand how firmware updates effect the system and the flashcards. I don't understand how firmware updates work. Are they mandatory the second you turn on your Wi-Fi and connect to the internet and you just can't use your system unless you update? Can you simply just not update your system and risk not being able to play some of the newer games that may require a newer firmware version? Because if that is the case I am more than willing to wait untill anyone of the flashcard devs releases a update that supports said new firmware update, if they ever do.

Also if I use Sky3ds or Gateway can I access the internet at all? Can just simply browse the web for example or would that be putting my system at risk of being bricked/blocked? Because here is what I will use my 3DSXL for, playing mostly pirated games offline. If I could I will probably never update the firmware, because if that doesn't effect a new game I want to play I wound't care. Maybe, maybe on the odd occasion I might use the 3DS to browse the web.

I read somewhere that Sky3ds doesn't support some games and those can only work with Sky3ds unless you download the version "made" for the flashcard (has some ussues with certain games). I hope you understand what I am trying to say. While Gateway supposedly can play any game as long it can run on the firmware that Gateway supports.

What should I choose if that is what I will use my 3DS for? Is there even a card that can do that? If you think these questions are extremely stupid feel free to let me know. I just want to clerify this for me before making a purchase. I don't care what flashcard you prefer.

Thanks for reading and I hope somebody can help me.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Which card is the best option for a v7 firmware 3ds xl which will not have wifi access?

The sky seems to be the easiest in that it should just work but the tradeoff is that its region locked, no eshop games, a rubbish game selection method and it doesnt exactly look like a future-proof product.

The gateway tho needs to be patched every single time its powered up? And it's a hassle to do so without wifi?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-which-flash-cartridge-should-i-buy.382857/

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
I read somewhere that Sky3ds doesn't support some games and those can only work with Sky3ds unless you download the version "made" for the flashcard (has some ussues with certain games). I hope you understand what I am trying to say. While Gateway supposedly can play any game as long it can run on the firmware that Gateway supports.

What should I choose if that is what I will use my 3DS for? Is there even a card that can do that? If you think these questions are extremely stupid feel free to let me know. I just want to clerify this for me before making a purchase. I don't care what flashcard you prefer.

Thanks for reading and I hope somebody can help me.

Not sure what you're talking about with the 'made for sky' comment there but read this http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-which-flash-cartridge-should-i-buy.382857/

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware updates are automatically downloaded when you connect to the Internet, but they are not automatically installed. If you don't install them, you can't connect to eshop, which may also mean that you can't play certain games online, if they need patches that you normally get from the eshop. Also, the 3DS keeps nagging you to install the firmware update every day or so. You can get rid of this nag (in real firmware) using the method at https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-delete-predownloaded-update-spotpass-nag.381489/ .

Gateway requires real firmware of 4.1-9.2. You run one of the exploits every time you boot the 3DS and it then puts you into EmuNAND, which is an emulated copy of a newer firmware, and you can run pirated games from that that need the new firmware. Gateway has to update their own launcher so that each new firmware version can be used as EmuNAND, so if they go out of business tomorrow you may not be able to play games that need firmware newer than the EmuNAND you already have.

There are two exploits. One is a web browser exploit which works with real firmware up to 9.2. You need to connect to a special web page to trigger the exploit. However, people have written Android apps that let you do this without really connecting to the Internet, so you don't risk downloading a firmware update at the same time. The other exploit is the profile exploit which is in system settings. The profile exploit requires real firmware of 4.1-4.5. You need to install this profile exploit using a DS flash card (the Gateway comes with one) and every time you run a DS game, you need to install it again. If you have firmware up to 9.2, there is a method to downgrade the firmware so you can use the profile exploit from then on instead. Neither exploit takes more than a few seconds to run.

Gateway lets you use as many pirated games as you can fit on your flash card. It supports 64G and 128G cards.

I don't know as much about the Sky3DS since I don't have one. It supports the newest firmware right now. In theory Nintendo could block it, but they haven't so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water