Gateway Online Question (yes I already searched)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dudup00p, Dec 27, 2014.

1. dudup00p
    OP

dudup00p Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    I'm new to the whole flashcart scene, but I just bought a 4.5 3ds xl and gateway card. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate game, but I was concerned with playing it online with emunand. Assuming that gateway maintains emunand support for the latest firmware, will I be able to play a legitimate MH4U cartridge online without any issues?

Thanks!

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    yes

3. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    u may have to patch the rom and rename it to 3dz, or use cia

Margen67 likes this.
  4. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    you can even play the mh4g original cartridge with classic mode, so its no biggie

5. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Was curious about this also. So you definitely can play--online included--even though we're stuck on an older firmware? I assume this is through emunand?

6. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yes. Retail cartridges work online through classic mode. Roms just need a valid header and to be changed to .3dz files to play online in Gateway mode. Most randomized headers I've used have worked fine.

7. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Yeah your emunand could be a couple version behind but as long as your Game is up to date you can play online no issue.

I am on sysnand 9.2 and play Pokemon and Animal Crossing online cuz as they are fully updated

8. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States

So basically any updates released through the e-shop, you need to use the emunand update to download it, then you're good to go? Looking forward to it, but this is one game I would be willing to update firmware for if needed. Still waiting to get some funds together for a Gateway, and the update of course ;)

9. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    You can install the updates like you can install games via emunand. But yes you would be good to go

alpha_noj likes this.
  10. dudup00p
    OP

dudup00p Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    I'm slightly confused. How did you manage to play PKM and AC online with sysnand 9.2? How did you manage to update the games without the firmware update required to access the eshop?

11. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The game updates were released before the firmware updates. So he updated his games, then 9.3/9.4 was released, and he simply kept his sysNAND on 9.2.

For people using Gateway the same applies to emuNAND. And if people dump game updates as .CIA files, then you can install them and play online even if your game is out of date and you can't access the eShop.

12. Puppy_Washer

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Are all .cia files online compatible? No editing or trickery needed? This is news to me.

13. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension

How does one change a header? I'm not OP but I'm another Gateway noob confused about this stuff

14. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Gateway has a ROM patcher .exe which comes with their firmware downloads. It's really simple to use. Basically you just load a ROM file with it, and you can import/export headers or just use a public one. Then you save the ROM, change the extension to .3dz, drop it on your microSD, and you're good to go.

dudup00p likes this.
  15. dudup00p
    OP

dudup00p Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    That makes sense. Can you explain .cia files a little more and how they work?

16. dudup00p
    OP

dudup00p Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    What's the point of changing the header?

17. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They're simply install packages that work with bigbluemenu and/or devmenu (which can be obtained as ROM files or .cia files). You load up either one of those menus and it gives you a list of all the .cia files you have on your SD card, then you can install/uninstall from them. They can be used to install eShop games, game updates, homebrew (I think), whatever.

dudup00p likes this.
  18. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    To be able to play online with a ROM.

dudup00p likes this.
  19. dudup00p
    OP

dudup00p Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    Gotcha. Is there a gateway mega guide that details all the features and how to use them? I'd like to know more about emunand and online play mostly.

20. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Really the closest thing you're going to get is the tutorial section here on gbatemp. Or just use the search function on these forums. This is the official support forum for Gateway, so you might be able to find more relevant information here: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/forums/108-Official-Gateway-3DS-Support-Forum

Otherwise, feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

dudup00p likes this.