Hacking Gateway No Longer Viable, Any Alternatives?

2DSUSERHere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Since the beginning i've been using Gateway 3DS.

However, its been over a month since they said they would try and release an update for the 11.3 Emunand and at this point im tired of waiting.

Is there any other custom firmware i can use instead?

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
There should be a standard 3ds.guide under every topic, automatically :P

Just be warned, if you do not follow exact instructions listed on 3ds.guide, you will (potentially( brick!!

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated above, do the guide. It even tells u how to (basically) bring your emunand stuff over to sysnand. Pros: 1. Being a part of the a9lh master race. 2. Being able to toss your gateway and never look back. 3. Regaining the space that emunand is taking up on your sd card.

PROTIP: read the intro and prepwork of each section BEFORE touching the 3ds. Then read it again while performing the steps. Skip nothing, assume nothing. Make sure u have AT LEAST 3gb of space available on your sd so you don't have to bother with juggling files more than necessary. Don't question what the guide tells u to do. If it has you putting files on the sd that you already have, do it and merge folders/overwrite files. If you have any questions during the process, ask.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I am still using Gateway and Emunand.
I have a9lh installed and Luma cfw as well. I was just thinking to update the emunand to 11.3 and use Luma for now then if I want to use my Gateway again for its features then just revert the emunand to 11.2. lol It's quite a workaround but I think it will work. :P
At least, until they update for 11.3 emunand support.

Reactions: Dionicio3

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still using Gateway and Emunand.
I have a9lh installed and Luma cfw as well. I was just thinking to update the emunand to 11.3 and use Luma for now then if I want to use my Gateway again for its features then just revert the emunand to 11.2. lol It's quite a workaround but I think it will work. :P
At least, until they update for 11.3 emunand support.

If anyone has a9lh/luma and is still using gateway and/or emunand, they're doing it wrong. Period.
But, to each their own i guess.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is exfat really a reason? Get any good quality card, fornat to fat32 and no problems.
Gateway cheats can be ported to ntr for use on cfw without a cart.

Those points don't seem like valid points to stick with a pretty much dead way of doing things. But like I said, if ppl want to remain in the dark ages, that's their choice.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is exfat really a reason? Get any good quality card, fornat to fat32 and no problems.
Gateway cheats can be ported to ntr for use on cfw without a cart.

Those points don't seem like valid points to stick with a pretty much dead way of doing things. But like I said, if ppl want to remain in the dark ages, that's their choice.

I know people who use both GW and Luma3DS. NTR cheats are BS compared to GW ones, and I don't think they can be ported. FAT32 starts to be a poblem when you go above 64 GB. And I don't think you can even format a 256GB SD/µSD to FAT32. It is an outdated format type, that's all.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many of ntr cheats are infact ports of gateway cheats.That's why gateshark2ntr is a thing. And yeah fat32 may be outdated, but it works great for me. Then again i haven't gone above 64gb either.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone has a9lh/luma and is still using gateway and/or emunand, they're doing it wrong. Period.
But, to each their own i guess.
To each their own yes, but if you've experienced Gateway additional features and Cheats and it's convenience, leaving it behind for something that's harder to use is not really something I would like. Most people would dismiss Gateway because they haven't experienced the features yet. People who kept their Gateways are normally those who've been using them even before CFW became a thing. And I am one of those people. I don't compare being a Gateway user to anything else. Would I suggest people to buy Gateway at this time? Probably not.

I have games on my Gateway cart that I prefer to keep there and keep CIA games installed. I have 64gb in Gateway and 64gb in my N3DS. Dragging and dropping games on the sd card so I can play it quickly when I plug my Gateway Cart is a feature that I appreciate, I would never call it doing it "wrong".
I think Gateway is even easier to use than those Action Replay Cheats that goes for almost the same prices. You don't need to install a program on your pc.

The reason why Gateway Cheats are ported to NTR is simply because it's so much easier to get with Gateway. Right there while playing the game you can get the cheat you want almost instantly. If it were so easy for NTR to do so, Gateway cheats wouldn't be so necessary to be ported. So technically, these tools work together to benefit the community whether you are a Gateway user or an NTR cheat user, or both.

Reactions: V0ltr0n

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
These discussions always go the same way. I have A9LH with Luma, but I also still have my Gateway from back in the day. I rarely ever load the Gateway itself these days, but it's handy as a second SD slot for the games I already have on there. It's that simple. Nobody should buy a Gateway anymore, but some of us still have ours from back in the day.

I may have to ditch the card if they don't fix support for 11.3 soon, however.

Reactions: V0ltr0n

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
These discussions always go the same way. I have A9LH with Luma, but I also still have my Gateway from back in the day. I rarely ever load the Gateway itself these days, but it's handy as a second SD slot for the games I already have on there. It's that simple. Nobody should buy a Gateway anymore, but some of us still have ours from back in the day.

I may have to ditch the card if they don't fix support for 11.3 soon, however.
Yeah, it sucks that 11.3 support is taking a long while to get here but since I've gotten my Gateway from back in the day, I've kind of gotten used to Gatewait. There's no use complaining anyway.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To each their own yes, but if you've experienced Gateway additional features and Cheats and it's convenience, leaving it behind for something that's harder to use is not really something I would like. Most people would dismiss Gateway because they haven't experienced the features yet. People who kept their Gateways are normally those who've been using them even before CFW became a thing. And I am one of those people. I don't compare being a Gateway user to anything else. Would I suggest people to buy Gateway at this time? Probably not.

I have games on my Gateway cart that I prefer to keep there and keep CIA games installed. I have 64gb in Gateway and 64gb in my N3DS. Dragging and dropping games on the sd card so I can play it quickly when I plug my Gateway Cart is a feature that I appreciate, I would never call it doing it "wrong".
I think Gateway is even easier to use than those Action Replay Cheats that goes for almost the same prices. You don't need to install a program on your pc.

The reason why Gateway Cheats are ported to NTR is simply because it's so much easier to get with Gateway. Right there while playing the game you can get the cheat you want almost instantly. If it were so easy for NTR to do so, Gateway cheats wouldn't be so necessary to be ported. So technically, these tools work together to benefit the community whether you are a Gateway user or an NTR cheat user, or both.

I appreciate your post. It now makes a lot better sense why ppl that have a gateway still use it. And I do agree, the ability to search cheats and activate your own in real time is a plus. Loved that about my dstwo. Although I've abandoned my dstwo in favor of my acekard2i for the simple fact that ds2 drains batteries insanely fast.
Anyway, i realize that emunand is pretty much required for gateway users since they don't update for firmware compatibility all that fast. I'll be less harsh on the gateway/emunand plebs from now on. :)

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I appreciate your post. It now makes a lot better sense why ppl that have a gateway still use it. And I do agree, the ability to search cheats and activate your own in real time is a plus. Loved that about my dstwo. Although I've abandoned my dstwo in favor of my acekard2i for the simple fact that ds2 drains batteries insanely fast.
Anyway, i realize that emunand is pretty much required for gateway users since they don't update for firmware compatibility all that fast. I'll be less harsh on the gateway/emunand plebs from now on. :)

You don't have to be harsh on anyone for any sort of reason. I mean there's still a number of people I know who are using menuhax and emunand :rofl: but I know that's because they felt like not fixing something that is not broken.
Some people just want to do things differently than what most people are doing now. :D

Anyway~
I just realized that everything that I need still works on 11.2 and there is absolutely no reason to update to 11.3. So all is good. :yay3ds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?