Hacking Gateway nand backups and what they can do?

Gateway Or Ntr (Cheat Engines Which is the bst)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He didn't ask for A9LH, he asked if he could recover his GW backed-up NAND with GW.

And to the OP, yes, you can.

Can you flash a backup? Sure, but I don't think that really counts as a "Recovery Menu".

If you screw up your system to the point that it doesn't boot, you're screwed (Without a9LH or a hardmod).

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you flash a backup? Sure, but I don't think that really counts as a "Recovery Menu".

If you screw up your system to the point that it doesn't boot, you're screwed (Without a9LH or a hardmod).
But the question is, did op ask his question on those terms? Honestly I don't think he asked on either one of our terms, since he didn't mention anything dangerous. To me it seemed like he asked if you could recover your nand backup within the gateway menu, which you can do.

dahacker2017

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the question is, did op ask his question on those terms? Honestly I don't think he asked on either one of our terms, since he didn't mention anything dangerous. To me it seemed like he asked if you could recover your nand backup within the gateway menu, which you can do.
but how can u access a gateway recovery menu to restore the nand if u do screw up?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ikr
but who choose ntr in the poll o_0

im only using gw for cheats (3ds and ds games) and cia's on an emunand will this fuck my system up?

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Have fun when your console bricks. Gateway does nothing but steal the work of others, slap their logo on it and sell what is free. You'll also be using outdated hardware from 3 years ago when you pop your card in. Also, the only reason the ntr codes crash on you is because you're not using the correct region codes. Try to use eur codes on a USA system, two things will happen. It won't work, or it'll work and crash. Also, don't come bitching on here when you brick from trying to set up gw version of a9lh. It's basically a guarantee that you will brick.
Not true.

1. Gateway was the first who decrypted the 3DS
2. Why do you think the cfw is only for 9.2

So it is a win win you know. About bricking Gateway need to release an official update.

Last edited by DragonSky,
Reactions: Tony_93 and yarib

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
This thread has gone a bit toxic now, so best to leave it, as it is and let em figure it themselves.
yeah, what can we expect of delusional gateway fanboys?
Agreed
Not true.

1. Gateway was the first who decrypted the 3DS
2. Why do you think the cfw is only for 9.2
1-Gateway wasn't the first who decrypted the 3ds, it was neimod and as of now, they are absolute cancer.
I'm not telling to gateway users go go f-ck themselves, but Gateway, the product itself and the company itself(the team) are shitty. The product might have been original and "revolutionary" in the first generation, but as of now, it's just stolen software. Specially with the downgraders, which is just an unstable and unsafe downgrader straight ripped of from justpingo's kernel time machine, conviniently renamed and rebranded to "Gateway Time's Machine".
And the brick code, who in the world could forgive a company for intentionally bricking its users and users using clone cards. Sure it might have been a dick move by the others by cloning their cart, but it's a dick move to brick innocent users( permabricking the console itself).

2-CFW can only be used either with sysnand 9.2(you can use previous versions, but as of now, the arm9 exploit is only compatible up to 9.2) or a9lh updated sysnand.
And in this is where gateway enters, because you have to have a 9.2 sysnand to use it, so there's nothing revolutionary in it as of now, because if you have sysnand 9.2(either if your 3ds came with it or you downgraded) you can use free and open source software to hack your 3ds.
Also, it was a dick move of Gateway by implementing an arm9loaderhax entrypoint and calling it theirs
https://gbatemp.net/entry/psa-dont-use-gateways-arm9loaderhax-installation-tools.11242/

Last edited by Davidosky99, , Reason: Thank Mr. Wolfvak

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was strongly debating whether to post in this, considering the amount of vitriol and fanboy-ism.

All I can say on this matter is that I have Gateway on my O3DS XL, and it works. Simple, emuNAND covers my ass and the cheat functionality is great. I also appreciate the convenience of using .3DS files on the Red card, for games I might not either want installed via .cia, and if it doesn't have online functionality I care about.

Only reason I would want to go the CFW path is to be able to launch the DSiWare and GBA VC stuff, because I've seen some releases on that ISO site that I would genuinely want. But it's the attitudes of people here, and the confusing and risky nature of it, that convince me I would rather wait until Team Gateway finalize A9 support before I go that route, and ensure I can do it all. Earlier attempts with the then king that was RxTools was little more than a very lousy experience.

Reactions: Tony_93

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
You need a9lh to access Arm9 tools like Decrypt9 at boot if you want some sort of recovery option. GW does not offer that at present and their current a9lh implementation will marry you're 3DS to their DRM version of it and lock it to that only, so no chainloading of payloads at boot time.

Use the free a9lh guide and use GW's payload to use their red cart for drag n drop roms and cheats.
Don't they also make the NAND non-writable if firm isn't running? This kind of makes hardmods... useless. If you brick (and you might, considering how shitty and poorly explained GW A9LH is), you're screwed.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know but personally I wouldnt flash a GW NAND dump, just to be safer i would use Decrypt9 or something to make a dump then flash it with Hourglass. I could be wrong.

Last edited by jscjml,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
im not using any ANY a9lh shit or gw-a9lh non of them
A9LH isn't shit. GW-A9LH is shit. I haven't personally used it, but GW are known for their shitty implementations of open-source code...

Reactions: Davidosky99

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yeah, what can we expect of delusional gateway fanboys?
Agreed

1-Gateway wasn't the first who decrypted the 3ds, it was neimod and as of now, they are absolute cancer.
I'm not telling to gateway users go go f-ck themselves, but Gateway, the product itself and the company itself(the team) are shitty. The product might have been original and "revolutionary" in the first generation, but as of now, it's just stolen software. Specially with the downgraders, which is just an unstable and unsafe downgrader straight ripped of from justpingo's kernel time machine, conviniently renamed and rebranded to "Gateway Time's Machine".
And the brick code, who in the world could forgive a company for intentionally bricking its users and users using clone cards. Sure it might have been a dick move by the others by cloning their cart, but it's a dick move to brick innocent users( permabricking the console itself).

2-CFW can only be used either with sysnand 9.2(you can use previous versions, but as of now, the arm9 exploit is only compatible up to 9.2) or a9lh updated sysnand.
And in this is where gateway enters, because you have to have a 9.2 sysnand to use it, so there's nothing revolutionary in it as of now, because if you have sysnand 9.2(either if your 3ds came with it or you downgraded) you can use free and open source software to hack your 3ds.
Also, it was a dick move of Gateway by implementing an arm9loaderhax entrypoint and calling it theirs
https://gbatemp.net/entry/psa-dont-use-gateways-arm9loaderhax-installation-tools.11242/
With decrypting I meant the first flashcard/hacking the 3DS games.

Last edited by DragonSky,

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please no, Gateway makes bad nand backups! Don't use it, they're usually fragmented! Serious don't do it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gateway nand backups are perfectly fine, they just dump the nand exactly how it is on the console, people are just looking for stuff to moan about gw and mashing up random info, the "fragmenting" stuff was supposed to be in regards to their downgrading tool.

that said if you are of the paranoid persuasion make a nand dump with decrypt9 too

as for buying a GW buy one if you want, sure there are lots of free alternatives, but hell its your money, buy what you want, just be prepared to get a lot of anti-gw crap shoved at you at any opportunity even if you say you dont care, its like those pressure sellers you get harassing people on the high street around here sometimes

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Hiatus

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not going to back up nand then

ADMIN close thread
Stop getting upset because you aren't getting the answer and support you expected. You asked if you could flash a NAND backup with GW, with or without A9LH. We told you without a9lh you can't if bricked. Then all of a sudden you don't care about your own original question and just try to defend GW. Yes GW has a better cheat engine, but other than that the free software based options are far superior now. If you still choose GW for personal reasons then that's fine. But imo I wouldn't trust Brickway with my NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ughh the C64 version looks almost as bad lol