Hacking Gateway - Moving from Old 3DS to New 3DS, Help!

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's hopefully a quick question. I have Gateway (on 3.1 I think?) working on my old 3ds xl. I got the New 3ds earlier this year and have been waiting to see what my options are to eventually migrate my Gateway playing to this new console.

Is there really no other way to get Emunand going on my New 3ds than buying either Ocarina of Time ($46-$50) or Cubic Ninja ($20)? I mean don't get me wrong I LOVE OoT and wouldn't mind owning it, but why bother when I could just emulate a game I've played 20 times anyways? The other thing I'm sacrificing is dropping another Jackson (on Ninja) to take advantage of my new system and features, which arguably is worth it. I just wanted to check my options first given where I'm at with an already working (old) system. Should I go pick up CN?

My other question is if I could somehow transfer any of my saves over to my new system. In my experience they're encrypted to the nand (in my case Emunand) they were created on but I haven't yet tried the save restore feature on Gateway. My 3ds emu-playing has grinded to a halt since I got this new system because what's the point of continuing to play if I'm going to lose my saves when I transfer systems -.-

Please and thank you for any help!

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First: IS the N3DS <= 9.2? You didn't state, and if it's higher no games will save you.

Yes, you need OoT or CN, though if you find CN at $20, that's practically a steal. In any case, you only need them once at this point, though I'd suggest getting CN and then holding onto it as there's quite the number of useful things you can do with it.

Saves depend, though they're not exactly my expertise. If it's .3ds games played from the red card, then they should stay with the red card. If it's cart games that aren't Fantasy Life, the save stays on the cart. If it's .cia games installed to the system, then you need to extract/inject the save with SaveDataFiler.
Any saves you extract/inject should work, though you may need to initialize the save on the target console (I have to with NTR, not sure about how SDF handles it) before injecting. Worst case, you have to inject it twice.
Any cart game saves I know depend on the SysNAND, something around 7.X(?) creates saves incompatible with lower versions. If you want to be safe, extract the saves with SDF before trying them on the new console.
Any .3ds saves are where I'm not sure if it depends on the SysNAND like carts. If you want to be safe, I suppose copying them from the red card's MicroSD for safety is an option. If they don't work, put them back on and use SDF yet again maybe.
Save restore feature is probably for carts to set up OoT hacks, not to move saves between systems. SDF is probably still simpler for that since you might need it anyway.

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I double checked and GS has a copy on my route home, so requested a pick up on that and thankfully I got a confirmation. Weird thing is I think that was available there last time I checked months ago O.o those things are like $60 on Amazon, worse than OoT now! I'll have to look into what else you can do with it, as you mentioned...guessing it's the QR functionality.
Yeah I just have a couple 3ds rom saves created while using my Emunand mode. So I'll just have to test and see if those saves (remaining on the red cards microSD) still work on the new Emunand I guess? Also I don't believe it was brought up, but I'll have to decide if I want to transfer my Sysnand to my new system. I believe saves for eShop games are lost as I frustratingly found out last time I did this (and lost A Link Between Worlds saves) but maybe there's a way to save those too?

Last edited by finz,

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, apparently I got unlucky and mine came with 9.4 :sad: I did grab Cubic Ninja though before I found that out. Is there any reason I should keep it now? Might be useful with my old 3ds but no idea how...otherwise I might see if I can return it..or sell it xD

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nevermind, apparently I got unlucky and mine came with 9.4 :sad: I did grab Cubic Ninja though before I found that out. Is there any reason I should keep it now? Might be useful with my old 3ds but no idea how...otherwise I might see if I can return it..or sell it xD
9.4.0 Isn't as bad as 9.5.0+ though..
MemChunkHax was patched, but you still have FirmLaunch-Hax

If you decide to keep it:
If you can solder, you should make a nand backup at 9.4.0 and then you can downgrade whenever an exploit is available...

Reactions: Zidapi

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9.4.0 Isn't as bad as 9.5.0+ though..
MemChunkHax was patched, but you still have FirmLaunch-Hax

If you decide to keep it:
If you can solder, you should make a nand backup at 9.4.0 and then you can downgrade whenever an exploit is available...
Sorry but what's FirmLaunchHax? My search for it didn't turn up much of anything except that it can be 'ported over'. Totally unhelpful.

I have soldered basic things like LEDs and hacked an old 360 through some weird parallel port hack that soldered a bunch of wires to points on the board. Enabled a custom dash and all kinds of cool things. Poor thing only lasted a few hours before it red ringed (it was already toast already).

A firm shove in the right direction is appreciated, I still don't know what my options are. Don't know if I'm comfortable potentially ruining a piece of hardware that's worth several hundreds of dollars.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
firmlaunch-hax is one of the two exploits that made all the 9.2.0 stuff possible
But, before it can be used on 9.4.0 a replacement for memchunkhax is needed...

Which is why you'd backup your 9.4.0 nand... So when/if memchunkhax gets replaced you can restore your backup (effectively downgrading)

But, could totally be pointless for a long time..
You may be better off looking for a <9.2 console... Unless you have a hard to find special edition...

Short answer: without a memchunkhax replacement.. you can't use firmlaunch-hax

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's what I'm saying, I have the MM limited one (which looks AWSOME) and I wouldn't want to ruin it. I'll just have to hang onto it and hope Gateway can find a way into 9.4 on the N3DS =/ Guess I'll hang onto Cubic Ninja for now and continue to use my old XL. Unless there's anything else, thanks for the help guys (sad face).

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah that's what I'm saying, I have the MM limited one (which looks AWSOME) and I wouldn't want to ruin it. I'll just have to hang onto it and hope Gateway can find a way into 9.4 on the N3DS =/ Guess I'll hang onto Cubic Ninja for now and continue to use my old XL. Unless there's anything else, thanks for the help guys (sad face).
I'm in the same situation... 9.4.0 MM N3DS XL... But i added the hard mod

Also, get the hori duraflexi case

finz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the same situation... 9.4.0 MM N3DS XL... But i added the hard mod

Also, get the hori duraflexi case
Yeah I probably should get a case for it, if I ever end up using it; hopefully soon. Could you pm me a link to the hard mod? Either a thread or a site that sells it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself