GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hi guys, sorry to be a bother once again

before i proceed to install i wanted to make sure i understand how it's done correctly

- i put launcher.dat on the miniSD card in the new 3DS
- i launch cubic ninja and scan the QR code
- this make cubic ninja work as a bootable for gateway
- i just pick cubic ninja, select "create level" gateway boots up and then replace the cubic ninja cartridge with the gateway

do i need my 3ds to be online as i do this? should i use the 3.1 gateway release or the latest 3.2.1? do i need to format the microsd in the gateway to fat32 before using it?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) I don't think you need to be online. But anyway, if it doesn't work then get online and be careful with updates. But it shouldn't. (EDIT : You need wifi at first installation as LameNobody said)
2) Always use the latest Gateway version.
3) No, you better use exFAT.

100 posts yay!

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi guys, sorry to be a bother once again

before i proceed to install i wanted to make sure i understand how it's done correctly

- i put launcher.dat on the miniSD card in the new 3DS
- i launch cubic ninja and scan the QR code
- this make cubic ninja work as a bootable for gateway
- i just pick cubic ninja, select "create level" gateway boots up and then replace the cubic ninja cartridge with the gateway

do i need my 3ds to be online as i do this? should i use the 3.1 gateway release or the latest 3.2.1? do i need to format the microsd in the gateway to fat32 before using it?

You should always use the latest launcher.dat (currently 3.2.1) because of bug fixes/other support
The micro SD in the gateway cart should be formatted to exfat, because it supports files bigger than 4gb
If you choose to format emunand, make a backup of your 3DS's SD card... Because it will be formatted in the process of formatting emunand
Yes, you do need wifi enabled when installing the QR code in cubic ninja

Reactions: Margen67

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh i see, i don't understand how this emunand thing works... am i automaticaly inside emunand the instant i boot into gateway mode?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No.

If you don't setup emuNAND, when entering in Gateway Mode you will be on a modified version of your real NAND that can do piracy and stuff. So if you update that YOU WILL ALSO UPDATE sysNAND, WHICH IS BAD.
If you format emuNAND however, when you'll enter in Gateway Mode you will be in emuNAND which is a copy of your real NAND but on your SD card so that one can be modified without caring about sysNAND.
You can also unlink them by then formatting sysNAND to avoid some problems.

Reactions: Margen67

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
allright so right now i just performed the cubic ninja exploit, what should be the next step? i see a format emunand option... can i do that without worrying?

EDIT: there is nothing worth in my SD card so really nothing i want to save anyway, is it still a good idea to make a sysnand backup?

D

Deleted-355425

Make a backup of your nand, remove the SD card and backup the nand file on your pc, this will come in handy if your console decides to brick it's self. Put the card back in and format emuNAND.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
allright, i backed up the nand and after it was done i told it to start in classic mode thinking that it would boot me back up to the 3ds screen but i got a black screen instead, the power up button is not turning it off, did i fuck up?

You need to have the gateway card to boot into classic mode or GW mode, you can then remove it once you've entered classic mode and insert your retail game

Also, it just froze your console, nothing to worry about there. hold the power for ike 10 - 15 seconds and it'll shut off

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Make sure you have the latest launcher.dat (currently 3.2.1)

Since you apparently didn't have emunand set up, now that you formatted emunand you do.
enter gateway mode, open system settings, It should say GW3D x.x.x-xx (your version number)
make sure wifi is turned on and update in the system settings app (again, make sure it says GW3D)
Then you will have emunand on 9.7

DON'T DO THAT! 9.7 emuNAND isn't supported on New3DS.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Make sure you have the latest launcher.dat (currently 3.2.1)

Since you apparently didn't have emunand set up, now that you formatted emunand you do.
enter gateway mode, open system settings, It should say GW3D x.x.x-xx (your version number)
make sure wifi is turned on and update in the system settings app (again, make sure it says GW3D)
Then you will have emunand on 9.7
and then you can enter classic mode and play your retail game

i don't plan to run any game that require firmware 9.7 at the moment... beside i seems to understand that the current gateway doesn't support emunand 9.7?

Format sysNAND from the System Settings while having the microSD card out of the console. That will unlink the NANDs to avoid some problems.

do i really have to do this? i don't want to unscrew the 3ds plates, i transfered the nand and the launcher through setting exactly to not go through that

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well... It's always more convenient to unlink them. It's not necessary tho.
You know, it's not a big deal to open a New3DS.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i don't plan to run any game that require firmware 9.7 at the moment... beside i seems to understand that the current gateway doesn't support emunand 9.7?

do i really have to do this? i don't want to unscrew the 3ds plates, i transfered the nand and the launcher through setting exactly to not go through that

Wait, DONT UPDATE EMUNAND, i forgot you have a new 3ds

(I got two threads confused and gave you bad info)

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well... It's always more convenient to unlink them. It's not necessary tho.
You know, it's not a big deal to open a New3DS.

i can always do that later no? anyway everything seems to be working properly, thanks for helping me out guys!

before closing this thread... if i want to setup the thing so that it doesn't require a copy of cubic ninja what do i need to do exactly?

oh also the 3D effect doesn't seem to be working... should i worry?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.