Gateway is about to arive! some tips, warnings for a noob?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Metoroid0, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    Ok, this is it! i waited a long tine for this and my GW is almost in my hands! :D

So are there some things you guys would like to warn me about or give some tips about the card, firmware, installation, ROM's setups, tips, tricks whatever you know before GW arives? :)

I also think this would be good for NOOBs who will buy their first GW and are scared or thinking about things, and want to be at ease to have simple to understand and complete list of things for the first time :)

Oh and please, before you start commenting, please write if you own actual Gateway 3DS card. Thanks guys! :D

(My 3DS is XL version, on Ver. 4.5.0-9E)

Please if it's not to much to ask, don't post off topic comments like "why you created such thread" et cetera... :bow:
    But if you really must than...well...ok.... :sleep:

2. CJL18

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States

card- plays multirom every 3ds rom out right now and plays eshop games
    firmware- i hope you already knew this before you bought the gateway but you must be on 4.1-4.5 for it to work
    installation- is very easy you download gateway omgea 2.1 from gateway site and put it in the root of you 3ds sd card
    roms setups- very easy with gateway omega you literally just extract the roms with a program like winrar or 7zip and put them in the root of your micro sd card
    tips- dont ever update your real nand because your gateway will become useless to you
    tricks- dont let anyone trick you into updating your real nand :0

Metoroid0 likes this.
  3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    make sure to get a large MicroSD of at least 32GB (64GB recommended) for games as anything smaller fills up with just a handful of games. if you can, use exFAT over FAT32 so you can store 4GB size roms as one file and not need to split them.

Metoroid0, AriaofMarina and Ykr1113 like this.
  4. octopus

octopus Member New

Sep 6, 2013
    Somalia
    Yeah: read sticky topics, wikis, google manuals and do not clone pointless threads.

5. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L

Its my personal thread and i don't clone anything, because there is no such thread with advice's and warnings in one place for people who feel lost..like i was..am a little less now.

If you don't like this thread, don't post such comments please.
    If you have something useful to say to me about GW please do,
    or if you just want to chat casually that's also Ok.

But telling me what i should do or don't.... please don't.
    And let admins do their jobs.

AriaofMarina and Deboog like this.
  6. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    OK, cool. i must ask..do you own GW card?

EDIT: i also heard myself you should not run diagnostics as it will brick your 3DS..i mean there IS a chance it will brick your console.

7. CJL18

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States

Yes I do and that was with version 1.2 they supposedly fixed everything with omega version

8. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    "supposedly"? so omega is 101% ok/safe to install?

By the way, did you noticed any strange things using GW that didn't occurred with legit card?
    going to home menu, some bugs et cetera

And by the way...why would you even run diagnostics i newer understood??

9. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia

I recommend you to read this guide, probably the easiest gateway installation guide I found in internet:
    www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/278794-GUIDE-Step-By-Step-Gateway-3DS-Installation

Metoroid0 likes this.
  10. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    The brick code still exists, but it is near (nobody has done it yet) impossible to brick with a legitimate Gateway card.

11. deathking

deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    The most worrying part is when you udate the gateway firmware - make sure to double / triple check you are updating gateway firmware over regular firmware

12. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    do you think everyone whose gateway is about to arrive should make a thread asking for help?

13. cabal_man

cabal_man Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2014
    Here is a good tip for you for once you have all the gateway stuff/emunand installed.

Go into NORMAL mode and setup parental controls then delete all the WIFI settings. This is to help stop you accidentally updating the 3DS.
    Now go into gateway mode and change the Icon display to be two rows instead of one. This gives you a very strong visual distinction between gateway and regular mode.

AriaofMarina likes this.
  14. Catch22

Catch22 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2013
    Canada
    Can you clarify for me, as it says 100% compatibility, did they fix that problem with animal crossing and Pokémon saving?

15. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Yeah, "NAND" saving was fixed with the latest Fw.

General advice for all GW users is to use the omega firmware. It seems to have best compatibility and doesn't brick AFAIK.

AriaofMarina likes this.
  16. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    LITERALLY the very first sticky is "3DS noob paradise - ask questions here" :P although maybe it should be changed to flashcard noob paradise

Also, this should tell you everything you need to know... This link is in the first post of said thread

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

enarky likes this.
  17. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Also some good tips m8ty, make sure when you have done your Emunand properly and updated to latest GW3D 7.1.0 -16E Firmware erase your wifi settings of your 3DS System Nand, the original 3DS Home page also back it up with a parental code lock on both Sys and Emunand. Also what I do for a double make sure on Systemnand create a folder and name it SYSTEM NAND and in your Gateway Emunand create a folder and name it GATEWAY EMUNAND its just to make sure you know which one your on because going into Emunand settings and closing takes you back to Systemnand again and it can get confusing but not too much! Those are good tips bud you should stick by it stops you from updating your 3DS accidentally which is so important.

Also m8 you didn't say up above, you have checked your 3DS Firmware being on 4.1.0 - 4.5.0???

Metoroid0 likes this.
  18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Tips:
    Create the EmuNAND on 2.0b1 or earlier before you update to 2.1, since some people reported being unable to use the eShop after making an EmuNAND on 2.1 and updating it to the latest firmware. Also don't run the diagnostics test, it was reported to cause bricks in 2.0b2 and while the brick code (ask profi200 for more details as it was his claim) is removed there may still be remnants of it, better safe than sorry.

Don't set up Wifi on your main NAND, and turn on parental controls, these two will help to avoid accidentally updating it. Always make sure you see the "GW3D" in the version before you update your EmuNAND, ONLY update it from the system settings, and remember that when you exit the system settings it goes back to your regular NAND, a few people accidentally updated the wrong NAND by doing this.

Create a folder on your EmuNAND that's visible on the first page, to easily distinguish between the regular NAND and the EmuNAND. After updating your EmuNAND you will have the Miiverse icon making it easier to distinguish but this is still a good idea.

I would use FAT32 for the Gateway MicroSD, this is mostly for convenience reasons for example you can use a MicroSD adapter insert the card in your 3DS to dump games directly to it as long as you have the launcher.dat placed on it.

That's all I can think of at the moment. These are the steps I took on my own 4.3 3DS, minus parental controls since I feel safe enough by not having a WiFi network set up on my real NAND.

Metoroid0, driverdis and AriaofMarina like this.
  19. InfoAddict

InfoAddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2014
    Backup your NAND so just in case you ever update you can restore with a hardware mod.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  20. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    No..i just made one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.