1. kineticUk

kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

Can you can update .3ds games via eshop (using Luma with the Gateway emunand)?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

iirc the frankenfirm methods used to continue running the 3ds on a pseudo higher firmware with gateway 3ds will still register with Nintendo that certain parts of the firmware are out of date, so online will not work

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You can install eShop game updates, with or without the game.

4. badzi_amine

badzi_amine Newbie
    Newcomer

Morocco
    well go with 3ds to cia then back up save with jksv to play online and safe i suppose i just wanted to make gw work on my 3ds with the latest updated for fun xD

Ps : i managed to back up save with thit methode soo i'm gratefull to ppl who helped me thanks again

Last edited by badzi_amine, Jun 30, 2020
  5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    It is highly recommended that you only use the Gateway for recovering save files. You should be using Luma3DS without a frankenfirmware for everything else.

6. badzi_amine

badzi_amine Newbie
    Newcomer

Morocco
    yup it was the idea xD

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Cubi™ :P

Antarctica
    Honestly, you shouldn't still be using a frankenfirmware with Gateway. You should really just set up a clean Luma3DS install on an OFW that is a mess. You don't lose any eShop functionality and you are better off.

Stealphie, TurdPooCharger and Lacius like this.
  8. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    You are not technically on 11.13. You are on a frankenfirm which spoofs this allowing gw to work.

9. aadz93

OP aadz93 Hypavisah

United States
    eShop will not function on the emunand, it still works if you boot into luma on sysnand, some games require updates, which can be installed via cia, super smash Bros and Mario kart multiplayer both work fine if you have the latest updates and patched with private headers

This was created mainly for gateway owners to continue using the cards via a sighax/b9s method plus gateway cards are less than $20usd now, keep the ROMs on the card the homebrew are installed as cia's, plus gateway mode will boot some homebrew luma may not currently boot (older homebrew) properly

Once the gateway mode boots you can boot luma into sysnand go to system settings and exit and hold start, the gateway launcher will automatically boot the emunand by default regardless if luma is booted using sysnand or emunand, in gateway mode you can go to system settings exit holding nothing and boot back to luma sysnand

PS: I never have encountered the gateway bricker either with my use of the card, I dunno if it still exists in 4.2, either way that's another reason it's installed to emunand

This also does not modify the sysnand, this I consider a dual boot cfw, luma has access to both sysnand and emunand (eShop and "priming" the emunand) once the emunand is patched you can set luma to boot via sysnand and everything still works via luma, while gateway mode only ever sees the emunand

Last edited by aadz93, Jul 1, 2020
  10. lazyguy

lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  11. aadz93

OP aadz93 Hypavisah

United States
    i originally tried that but couldn't get it to work, both gateway and luma allow you to do the same thing (homebrew and roms), the sysnand has b9s and boots luma....i bought a gateway after using luma since it only cost me $15 shipped and mainly for the extra micro sd slot (i come from gameboy and nds flashcard era so i see them as an expansion like romeo2 or dserial), only luma has over gateway is rosalina menu, though i do like the cheat features included with gateway (has a cheat engine style setup)

i use gateway one to organize my roms and homebrw (and its much quicker to drag an drop serveral GB of roms and don't need to install), and luma as a backup/maintenance, everything i can do in luma can be done in gateway minus rosalina, plus gateway mode is compatible with some homebrew while last i tried didn't work via luma (ntrcfw and earlier homebrew)

honestly i use gateway more than luma, there isn't a performance difference, luma is newer so of course will have more features plus its open source. it would make sense to me to add custom support for loading from gateway pr dstwo cards in luma, 256GB sd in gateway and 256GB sd in 3ds = plenty of storage

my sysnand is stock (11.13 b9s +luma) so it works with everything (eshop), the emunand can be loaded by luma or gateway which eshop wont work (if you want to use eshop you have to use luma in sysnand)

ps: this setup only uses 2 files. bootctr9. and a .firm payload to boot the launcher.dat from the sd

12. lazyguy

lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah, that's my thinking as well, I rather just seperate my games on gateway and with new 3ds xl, it's easier to just use the game slot to take out the microsd card.
    in the original post, it says 'visit this thread to get the needed folder just follow steps 1 - 3B on 11.10 this folder will include 5 files you don't need to go further than step 3b', which steps/thread are you referring to?
    And are you using latest luma? unclear if there's a specific version to go by; the tutorial thread I previously linked specifically mentioned 8.0, but it sounds like you're on the latest luma (as of the post dates)

Last edited by lazyguy, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:08 AM
  13. aadz93

OP aadz93 Hypavisah

United States
    i cant post the cias here, you can download the files you need there based on region

Last edited by VinsCool, Jul 9, 2020 at 12:33 AM - Reason: Removed link
  14. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    If its warez thats in that link. Not only can you not post the cia here. But you cannot link to that site with the warez either.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - gateway,