Gaming gateway fx laptop problem, please help

• Thread starter tal32123
  • Start date
  • Views 1,403
  • Replies 7
T

tal32123

OP
i will explain what happened to my gateway fx laptop over the course of the last couple days in detail so you might have any ideas as to what happened and/or how to fix it below:

environment: I am currently traveling in the middle east so it is very hot and sunny (could be the source of the problem)

day one: i used my computer normally then shut it down and put it in my suitcase

day two: i go to turn on the computer and it seems like it turns on but the screen is completely unreactive. it makes sound like stuff is going on inside and it works, but the monitor doesn't even flicker. so i looked online and saw a way to fix this that said remove battery and charger press power button for 30 seconds. put battery back in and turn on. unfortunatly this did not work. i have also made sure that the battery was charged enough to do this.

day three: this still doesn't work haven't found anything online about the problem so i had to write on gbatemp.

sorry about the past/present tense. anyway i had once left my mp4 in the car where it was sunny and really hot one day and the screen became really bad and hard to see (is this similar to what happend?) i am writing as much as i can because i have no idea what is the source of the problem. also it hasn't been dropped or anything. please help!!! anything would be appreciated.
cry.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sounds like it could be a RAM problem maybe. Try opening up the back panel and testing it with just one RAM module. You should have two RAM modules, so remove one, try turning it on, if that doesn't work test it with the other. If that does not work it could mean your CPU or BIOS have died, which isnt easy to fix.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Put it somewhere cool first. Sounds to me like your computer overheated. Check to see if the hard drive is working or not. Reconnect the hard drive.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it's a modern enough laptop, it should have shutdown if it was overheating, before any real damage happened.

Does the laptop make any beeping noises, like short beeps or continous beeps?

Also I realise you are travelling, so this next part may be difficult. Most laptops have a VGA port that allow you to hook them up to an external monitor, you could try that if possible.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, to everyone saying it over heated, the OP said it was working, HE TURNS IT OFF, and places in his bag...

So, the overheating problem, doubt it... since it turned off just fine.

Then the OP states that IT TURNS ON, and HE CAN HEAR SOUNDS, but CANNOT SEE...

there is a problem with your screen. I highly doubt the RAM has anything to do with it.

Now, to the OP.

Are you still under any warranty? Attempt to use an S-Video or VGA cable to connect to a TV (I know this is gonna be hard to do, if you have to activate the second "monitor" in the Video Properties.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
zidane_genome said:
there is a problem with your screen. I highly doubt the RAM has anything to do with it.

In fact a RAM, CPU or BIOS failure will result in just a black screen with no boot up. RAM failure is the most common and easy to diagnose cause of this. From the OP's post it sounds like the hardware is turning on but no boot up is happening, so he should check his RAM first of all.

I agree it doesn't sound like overheating, and he can plug his laptop into a monitor to see for certain if its just the screen. But from what he said I think the cause is down to one of the things I said.

T

tal32123

OP
yes it is under warranty which means i can't open it up without voiding it (even if i do open it up i have no idea what i am doing) also thanks for all the advice, i will try to hook it up to another monitor, hopefully it will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free