Hacking Gateway + extended memory mode issue

sebdelp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dear all,

I've read a lot on the subject, but didn't find (yet) a solution to my issue.
The gateway is working well with many games => a priori clean installation
I'm experiencing a black screen issue with Pokemon Moon E : In gateway mode, select the pokemon moon rom, logo is displayed on to screen. Launch the game. A 3DS (red) logo is displayed, then black screen and the 3DS remains frozen.
I tested 2 roms downloaded from different sources. I did (successfully) apply the Cart1to2 conversion. It is successful because if I try to apply the card1to2 again, I've got an error message saying the rom is already in mode 2.

Details:
I'm using an "old" 3ds which is running firmware 4.5.0-8E. I use a gateway with latest software (gateway ultra 4.2). I use the DS profile exploit to start gateway mode => no luma, no A9HL, just "standard" gateway things.

What I did up to now:
I downloaded firmware with 3dNUS : 11.2.0-35E. Installation via the "Title Manager" program (cia file being copied on the sd card). As the same black screen was experienced, and as I read in a french forum that old 3ds only support the firmware 11.0.0-33E, despite my doubts, I try also this firmware (starting from a clean install as detailed below). Nothing changes.

1) SD card preparation
1.1) delete the two partitions from the sd card (i.e. the emunand + original partition), make a new partition + format the sd card => new blank starting point
1.1) Copy the Launcher.dat file on the root of the sd card.
1.3) Copy the firmware file (obtained using 3dNUS) on the SD card

2) Emunand setup
2.1) Install the DS exploit (using blue card)
2.2) Start Gateway software (Ds Profile + L button)
2.3) Format Emunand from the gateway software

3) Emunand update
3.1) Launch "Title Manager" (software used to install cia files)
3.2) Apply all the CIA from the firmware directory
3.3) Once finished Reboot without going onto the home menu (as advised on forums)

4) Play the game
4.1) Cry, doesn't work

5) Format sysnand
=> I read on forums that a possible problem with game using extended memory mode could be solved by formatting sysnand from the parameters menu
It does not change anything.

So I did the whole procedure many times, with variations (formating emunand instead of sysnand, installing different firmware, etc.).

Please share any idea, I do not have any idea lefts.

Thanks

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Follow this:
3ds.guide

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This way you can use a CFW and forgo your gateway, or you can update to 11.2 and use gateway from A9LH. Your issue sounds like you're trying to play SuMo on a firmware it doesn't support (probably due to >9.6 crypto)

sebdelp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you suggest that there is no other way to make pokemon moon (and other games using extended memory mode) work other than using a custom firmware ?
I thought (from the gateway website) that it should be working on the EMUNAND with "regular" firmware?

Thanks

Cross-post... I like the EMUNAND, it's safe (when it works ). This is for my daughter, I want to keep it simple, she is used to the ds profile exploit
Anyway my EMUNAND is 11.2.0-35E so it shoud be working.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you suggest that there is no other way to make pokemon moon (and other games using extended memory mode) work other than using a custom firmware ?
I thought (from the gateway website) that it should be working on the EMUNAND with "regular" firmware?

Thanks

Cross-post... I like the EMUNAND, it's safe (when it works ). This is for my daughter, I want to keep it simple, she is used to the ds profile exploit
Anyway my EMUNAND is 11.2.0-35E so it shoud be working.
It'd be even simpler to just use a9lh like a stock 3ds, but I digress.

Try doing a CTRTRANSFER on the emunand to 11.3, there's a magnet link on the temp somewhere.

sebdelp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Progress so far.
I was suspecting that a 2Gb sd card (the one inside the 3ds) was not sufficient. So I replace the original one by a 8Gb.

At first it did not work, I experienced the same issue.
Then I go use the GateWay soft to switch to EMUNAND-classic mode
Then back to EMUNAND-Gateway (the one used to lauch rom)...

And it worked !!!!

I do not have a clue of what I really did. I was just trying to setup the 8Gb card and it finally worked....
If going to classic mode make any sense to anybody, explanations are welcome...

i'm currently trying to reproduce this with the original 2gb sd card... I'll post a solution if I found something reproductible

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Progress so far.
I was suspecting that a 2Gb sd card (the one inside the 3ds) was not sufficient. So I replace the original one by a 8Gb.

At first it did not work, I experienced the same issue.
Then I go use the GateWay soft to switch to EMUNAND-classic mode
Then back to EMUNAND-Gateway (the one used to lauch rom)...

And it worked !!!!

I do not have a clue of what I really did. I was just trying to setup the 8Gb card and it finally worked....
If going to classic mode make any sense to anybody, explanations are welcome...

i'm currently trying to reproduce this with the original 2gb sd card... I'll post a solution if I found something reproductible
yeah I'd why, but iirc gateway doesn't work with extended memory mode games on a 1/2gb sd card, you need a 4gb+ card for whatever reason

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1