Hacking Gateway eshop titles to 3ds: permanent or not?

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i'm reading how people with gateway are able to download/buy eshop titles just fine. But some are reporting that they are erased after the 3ds shutsdown. Is this true? If so, is there a method reported by GW that allows ehsop games to stay on the 3ds/microsd AFTER it's shutdown?

I mean sure, you COULD try to never turn it off, but how realistic is that? If we have eshop access, but everything gets wiped even if you purchase something, then what's the point??

Please enlighten us whoever has tested this out. Thanks!

Rainbowsixvegas6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've purchased Ace Attorney 5 from the e shop since monday, and have not had any problems with it being deleted if I turnoff or reboot my system.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From another thread:
Don't go to "data management" with sysnand. Newly downloaded stuff will be deleted. Everything's available for redownload, but I lost my save data.
That's my experience with the Youtube app and Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Reactions: tjexp

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
Never had any deletes with any emunand eshop purchases! people are talking about thing they don't undertstand.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, they don't get deleted if you shutdown the 3DS.
To update First backup your entire SD, after your emunand is updated you must re-copy all your backup SD files, make sure to first delete the empty folders made after the SD gets formatted by gateway ("DCIM" & "Nintendo 3DS" folders)

If you purchase something you must make a Full SD Backup using the "Read" feature of Win32DiskImager, just in case your SD gets corrupted, deleted or something like that & don't forget to make another RealNand Backup.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also bought PW:AA-DD including the case dlc from emuNAND and had no problems with it. Only drawback (as far as i can tell) is that the symbol for the game shows in the same place in realNAND and emuNAND and fails to launch in realNAND with an error message, but doesn't delete anything. Once booted to emuNAND it works just fine (and is a heck of a game, very well spent 35€).

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
I also bought PW:AA-DD including the case dlc from emuNAND and had no problems with it. Only drawback (as far as i can tell) is that the symbol for the game shows in the same place in realNAND and emuNAND and fails to launch in realNAND with an error message, but doesn't delete anything. Once booted to emuNAND it works just fine (and is a heck of a game, very well spent 35€).

yep i can confirm the same thing, Mario land 3d downloaded works fine in emunand, shows in regular nand on booting but wont launch. Got it free though.

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, thanks for the clarification. I'm hoping R4i team gets their stuff together and releases a emunand/eshop compatible firmware. Looking to get the new Ace Attorney, and (if it's out) Retro City Rampage.

Did you guys use CCard or some kinda gift card/eshop points thing to buy the games?
Since i'm new to the whole 3ds scene, are there any "Must have" eshop exclusive games? (besides some japanese eshop only games that we can't touch.....yet) :(

Mat xD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys,

does somebody of you know if add-ons (dlc) from e-shop work with gateway?
I mean for example, can i play the fire emblem's add ons which were bought in e-shop, when i have the fire emblem game on my flashcard.

did somebody tested it? Cause i want to play these fire emblem add-ons

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have downloaded the bravely default demo from eshop using gateway / emuNAND and it has not disappeared after turning off the 3DS, in fact I would like to know how to delete the demo as I do not need it any more...............sudeki300

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Great, thanks for the clarification. I'm hoping R4i team gets their stuff together and releases a emunand/eshop compatible firmware. Looking to get the new Ace Attorney, and (if it's out) Retro City Rampage.

Did you guys use CCard or some kinda gift card/eshop points thing to buy the games?
Since i'm new to the whole 3ds scene, are there any "Must have" eshop exclusive games? (besides some japanese eshop only games that we can't touch.....yet) :(

NOE promotion for mine http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns...R-MARIO-3D-LAND-Welcome-Promotion-831595.html

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
I have downloaded the bravely default demo from eshop using gateway / emuNAND and it has not disappeared after turning off the 3DS, in fact I would like to know how to delete the demo as I do not need it any more...............sudeki300

Its under settings, software.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

does somebody of you know if add-ons (dlc) from e-shop work with gateway?
I mean for example, can i play the fire emblem's add ons which were bought in e-shop, when i have the fire emblem game on my flashcard.

did somebody tested it? Cause i want to play these fire emblem add-ons

I think you can i have seen it posted in another thread but i cant find where. I would think its probable but they may only be available via emunand? can someone verify this?

I was thinking actually if one day i went back to a regular setup and ditched the gateway would any games ive downloaded via eshop to emunand be re-downloadable once i've updated my real nand and gone legit? sorry for the hijack.

The only thing i have done in this respect is patch Dream Team Bros to 1.1 The rom was on the microsd in the gateway when i accessed the eshop and it found an update for it. Not sure where its stored though.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The stuff showing in realNAND and EmuNAND but wont play in Real is possibly because its expecting a higher FW version to run

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
lol, then its not that, maybe something is set to it requires the latest version of FW to run, I might buy something just to do some tests..

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stuff showing in realNAND and EmuNAND but wont play in Real is possibly because its expecting a higher FW version to run

It will not play on the real NAND as there is no license/ticket file on the real NAND for that game. the reason it shows up is that the game itself is encrypted with the same console-unique key as the Emu NAND and real NAND are from the same console.
without any license/ticket for the game, it makes sense that the 3DS would refuse to launch it.

Reactions: hashcheck1

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I would refrain from purchasing anything on the EmuNAND as any downloads are tied to that rather than the console, which is even worse as if the SDCard breaks, corrupts, or gets lost, you lose any puchases, vs only needing to worry about the 3DS itself getting stolen, damaged, or lost as it is stored on the NAND, which under normal circumstances would not randomly corrupt, break, or get lost.

good luck trying to explain to Nintendo that you need your puchases relinked to your console as the games as the console lost its license to play the game somehow?
in order to get them to do that, you need to have your 3DS stolen and a police report filed, only then will they link purchases, and it would need to be to a new console as they will not relink it to the same console.

the best bet here is to use 2 seperate 3DS's. one Gateway and one normal. that way you at least have some sort of recourse (however limited that may be) to getting purchases back vs none if you mess up and forget to backup the emunand/or delete the backup then end up having the SD Card with the emunand corrupt on you.

having backups is still not good enough as you could still lose stuff by backing up the emunand, buying a game away from home, and having the emunand or sdcard corrupt somehow before you get to make a backup on the purchase you made away from home.

Reactions: tjexp

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually agree with the above comment I have two 3ds XLs one legit will all purchases and another just with emunand game patches and free stuff. Though it's possible to clone SD card I would more worry that Nintendo block emunand stuff in future firmware releases!

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
actually, I would refrain from purchasing anything on the EmuNAND as any downloads are tied to that rather than the console, which is even worse as if the SDCard breaks, corrupts, or gets lost, you lose any puchases, vs only needing to worry about the 3DS itself getting stolen, damaged, or lost as it is stored on the NAND, which under normal circumstances would not randomly corrupt, break, or get lost.

good luck trying to explain to Nintendo that you need your puchases relinked to your console as the games as the console lost its license to play the game somehow?
in order to get them to do that, you need to have your 3DS stolen and a police report filed, only then will they link purchases, and it would need to be to a new console as they will not relink it to the same console.

the best bet here is to use 2 seperate 3DS's. one Gateway and one normal. that way you at least have some sort of recourse (however limited that may be) to getting purchases back vs none if you mess up and forget to backup the emunand/or delete the backup then end up having the SD Card with the emunand corrupt on you.

having backups is still not good enough as you could still lose stuff by backing up the emunand, buying a game away from home, and having the emunand or sdcard corrupt somehow before you get to make a backup on the purchase you made away from home.

Moral of the story: backups were important before because flashcarts in general sometimes break save games; backups are now even more important because you can lose your eshop games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol