Hacking Gateway EmuNAND: How Long Will it Last?

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's an interesting find...

I re-downloaded the update, and it was there in the Downloadable Content. Restarted the system and checked again, well it was still there, did few other stuff and the file was still there.

THEN, while in the normal 4.5 (meaning SysNAND), I did one of the steps I had done earlier, which was going to Data Management, Nintendo 3DS, and tapping Add On (as there's no Downloadable Content on v4.5), and after the normal 'searching through the system', it says no data is found.

Afterward, once the system is fully off and restarted, ALL MY EmuNAND eShop 'PURCHASES' ARE COMPLETELY DELETED FROM THE SD!!!

So I hope someone else will try going through the same procedure to see if it's the same for everyone, and if that's the case, then I urge Gateway to mention it in their release notes, because it can be quite annoying and troublesome if you have lots of contents such as actual full eShop games deleted like that without being informed about it.

Moral of the story: Don't go to "data management" with sysnand. Newly downloaded stuff will be deleted. Everything's available for redownload, but I lost my save data.

Edit: This might make it impossible to play newly purchased DSiWare? Since DSiWare doesn't work in emunand, it has to be copied over from the SD card to sysnand. This worked for my old purchases, which of course were accepted by sysnand. But it might reject new purchases.

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Pretty sure Sony bans cfw users almost as soon as they connect to psn. Even with homebrew "protections " in place, your console can still get flagged and eventually banned.

I haven't heard of a complete system-wide network connection ban on PS3 like Microsoft's, but honestly, I am not highly informed in that area, as I have an unhacked PS3 myself.

But I know that very recently, in a 'gold trophy contest' there were a lot of illegitimate PSN users using hacked gold trophies to get those real world items. It was not until it became obvious by the gaming community that Sony started removing (and possibly banning) those folks.

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Moral of the story: Don't go to "data management" with sysnand. Newly downloaded stuff will be deleted. Everything's available for redownload, but I lost my save data.

Edit: This might make it impossible to play newly purchased DSiWare? Since DSiWare doesn't work in emunand, it has to be copied over from the SD card to sysnand. This worked for my old purchases, which of course were accepted by sysnand. But it might reject new purchases.

Yes, that's what I was implying, and it seems this is something causing all users, so best to avoid going there. Hence I personally suggest against making DSiWare purchases.

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
imho I thought it would only last 1 day but apparently there's no update yet right? I haven't checked updates so I don't know. But usually they were quick to fix things so people couldn't use flash carts. But don't worry, Nintendo pays their engineers a lot I am sure, they'll find a way to block the emunand shortly, I would give it before the end of the month at the latest.

The situation is a bit peculiar this time around though. Even if they patch EmuNand, flashcarts can still be used with SysNand Gateway. All they will end up doing is preventing flashcart users from buying games off eshop, which doesn't benefit them in anyway.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The situation is a bit peculiar this time around though. Even if they patch EmuNand, flashcarts can still be used with SysNand Gateway. All they will end up doing is preventing flashcart users from buying games off eshop, which doesn't benefit them in anyway.

WOW i can quote now.

Anyway, it benefits them because it is a way for them to try to ween people off of flash carts. It does work btw, look at the what happened to when the ban hammer came down on the xbox 360 sheep. Most of them got rid of their banned consoles and bought new ones and got legit games. Sure there will be a percentage that won't do that, but the percentage is rather small. I used to find big time pirates on irc that would buy legit games and have one modded console. They still make money that way and they don't care. That's why they don't brick the whole box, not because of waste or anything like that. Nintendo will do the same, they won't brick anyone's console but they will happily sell you another one and happily sell you games.

Personally I think Nintendo deserves to get paid for games since I could find bargains on practically every game I wanted to play when no flash cart existed yet. And things are still trending that way a bit this holiday season. The market is flooded with competition so Nintendo has to compete with price on game carts even though there is a bit of piracy.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure Sony bans cfw users almost as soon as they connect to psn. Even with homebrew "protections " in place, your console can still get flagged and eventually banned.

Stop it....that is just mis-information. I have been using CFW consoles on PSN in the US since the 3.41 JB and then 3.55CFW. Sony does not ban everyone. For the most part the people that get banned are either cheaters (doing game save or other cheats in online games like COD or BF), or they are playing early releases...which is sort of a tip off when a game isn't out in your territory and you play it. I play online, use PS Home, and PSN to download games for my Vita and PS3 and never been banned.

To that point Nintendo isn't going to start banning people either, their previously stated philosophies and lack of complex network infrastructure would just make it very unlikely. Microsoft is the only ones who have ever been ban happy, but even they have eased off in the last few years with the massive ban waves.

I have said this before and that is it makes no sense for console manufactures to ban or brick peoples' consoles, you have now removed their machine from ever purcahsing more digital content and likely pissed off a potential customer.....its just bad business sense.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Doesn't matter. It stands to reason that most people whom use flashcarts aren't willing to spend for games hence it makes no difference with regards to eshop sales. True, it doesn't necessarily help them by blocking shop access but it doesn't harm that that much either. In the end, it is the flash kart users that lose out on the newer 3DS features

I have said this before and that is it makes no sense for console manufactures to ban or brick peoples' consoles, you have now removed their machine from ever purcahsing more digital content and likely pissed off a potential customer.....its just bad business sense.

Exactly. In all likelihood, they will just simply block future access.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like 7.x will be out soon and that will end the fun for a while (as far as eShop access and such goes). I do think Gateway has made great progress though in getting the redirected Nand to run and likely what they are learning is going to carry forward...meaning when Nand 7.x comes out they will likely be able to get it working as well. Nintnedo is going to have to do some major overhauling of their Nand to likely 'break' EmuNand for good...again I just don't think they will bother...This whole 4.5/Gateway/EmuNand/Clone segment of the user base is soooooooo small. I would be shocked to find out there are already 100K flash cart users on 3DS and by year's end they will likely have sold 40mil 3DS worlwide.....That means the 'Gateway' crowd is like .25% of the user base if that...its just not worth messing with.

longgt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop it....that is just mis-information. I have been using CFW consoles on PSN in the US since the 3.41 JB and then 3.55CFW. Sony does not ban everyone. For the most part the people that get banned are either cheaters (doing game save or other cheats in online games like COD or BF), or they are playing early releases...which is sort of a tip off when a game isn't out in your territory and you play it. I play online, use PS Home, and PSN to download games for my Vita and PS3 and never been banned.

To that point Nintendo isn't going to start banning people either, their previously stated philosophies and lack of complex network infrastructure would just make it very unlikely. Microsoft is the only ones who have ever been ban happy, but even they have eased off in the last few years with the massive ban waves.

Nope, i was never play game online or play new game before releases date, all i did was sync trophies. And I got banned, it was happened to a lot of people too :rofl:
Just because you haven't got banned yet, it isn't mean Sony doesn't ban people for using CFW. Perhaps it depend on luck

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, i was never play game online or play new game before releases date, all i did was sync trophies. And I got banned, it was happened to a lot of people too :rofl:
Just because you haven't got banned yet, it isn't mean Sony doesn't ban people for using CFW. Perhaps it depend on luck

You know what that sounds like right? It sounds like you played a yet to be released game, earned trophies for said game and synced the trophies and got banned.

There are plenty of people that use CFW and don't get banned, the only ones I've heard of getting banned was because they played yet to be released games.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what that sounds like right? It sounds like you played a yet to be released game, earned trophies for said game and synced the trophies and got banned.

There are plenty of people that use CFW and don't get banned, the only ones I've heard of getting banned was because they played yet to be released games.

That is what I was saying....I am on plenty of ps3 forums and rarely does anyone ever complain of being banned. Sure I have heard of it happening but its definitly not many people or 'everyone' or even a majority. Many games get released on different days in different territories and many EU games seem to get dumped days or even weeks before official release in EU let alone USA.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft does it all the time...And playing a game before release is a poor decision to ban on any company's end because you can somewhat legitimately obtain games weeks before release if there is some mistake on the retailer's part. Anyone who's read my posts knows that I think release dates are full of crap and are yet another way that actual paying customers get screwed over and the pirates benefit.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I'm sure Nintendo already have plans in the next firmware version to counteract Gateway's simple redirection of NAND read/write operations. Especially if they've learned anything from last generation.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
You are trying to state a fact based on observation of an unknown and uncountable population.
Yes, most people that "we heard of" got banned playing pre-releases or for that matter just playing online. But there are also others like longgt that -allegedly- got banned for just synching trophies, in which case could be true because you are also spreading open the PS3 to PSN servers and telling Sony everything they want to know.
Otherwise I think DeanK wouldn't had bothered so much to get out MultiMAN Stealth (w/e), hiding the MM app from the system and doing various tricks to pass as legit.

But anyway it's hard to tell whether Nintendo will block Gateway but my feeling is that they won't. Because they are usually several steps behind in the web aspect of tech (e.g this new integration amongst Wii (U) and 3DS should have happened a long time ago) and they were probably too busy trying to "get this right".

No. I'm not stating any facts. I just providing an opinion based on the information at hand. Get it straight.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
lambstone is 100% correct, they have threatened, but majority of CFW users go online fine, its when they cheat, play unreleased games etc, they get flagged and banned, with apps like SEN Enabler you can be quite safe, as you can use other ids so you never actually ban your own id if banned..

Im not 100% sure what people are expecting in regards to blocking, EmuNAND has only just come out and the FW prob went gold even prior, I dont see them making last minute changes, especially when gateway users would equal the smallest percentage of users (alot less than %1 of users, %1 being 350,000) they could look to specific patches GW made, but possibly even if we cant update the GW3D firmware, we should be able to do it in classic mode, I cant see any major changes internallyto the native_firm, so hopefully it will be quicker and easier to port patches from 6.3-7.0, compared to 4.x to 6.3, and since its booting into the EmuNAND from 4.x anyway, chances are we might even have a working classic mode straight away if we are able to update straight off the bat...

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
lambstone is 100% correct, they have threatened, but majority of CFW users go online fine, its when they cheat, play unreleased games etc, they get flagged and banned, with apps like SEN Enabler you can be quite safe, as you can use other ids so you never actually ban your own id if banned..

Im not 100% sure what people are expecting in regards to blocking, EmuNAND has only just come out and the FW prob went gold even prior, I dont see them making last minute changes, especially when gateway users would equal the smallest percentage of users (alot less than %1 of users, %1 being 350,000) they could look to specific patches GW made, but possibly even if we cant update the GW3D firmware, we should be able to do it in classic mode, I cant see any major changes internallyto the native_firm, so hopefully it will be quicker and easier to port patches from 6.3-7.0, compared to 4.x to 6.3, and since its booting into the EmuNAND from 4.x anyway, chances are we might even have a working classic mode straight away if we are able to update straight off the bat...

Well it's better to prevent in order to be safe. Nintendo has heard about the plans of the Gateway team releasing the EmuNAND for a long time. We never know what can happen.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This shouldn't even be a question or option. I'm sure it's not in their best interest to brick anyone intentionally regardless if they pirate games or not.

it's not in their best interest to block emunand eshop access either for that matter ,we cant play roms online even if we could there are no cheats anyway ,they would only be blocking people from giving them money
but on another note i heard that gamestop is being instructed to update used 3ds consoles they take in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."