Hacking Gateway could run a port of Majora's Mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorchy

Wanderer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Nintendo won't do it, let's do it ourselves!

Seriously, i just got this awesome idea, everyone want Majora's Mask on 3DS and Nintendo is ignoring them, so why not make a Gateway port? I know that the current states of 3DS Homebrew does'nt look like it would be possible but if Yeti3DS worked maybe this would work too. Now, i have no code skills at all but i someone have spare time, that would be really great to see. What do you think about it?

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course we can do by ourselves, we just need the source code and a nintendo SDK unit/tools :lol:

Stop dreaming, port something is nearly impossible for us, the best someone can do is a emulator to run MM from n64 but i don't think someone have spare time to work on one and 3DS hardware is not enough.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, go start working on porting an N64 emulator :) (but honestly, don't make threads like this unless you're serious and have made some initial progress).

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, go start working on porting an N64 emulator :) (but honestly, don't make threads like this unless you're serious and have made some initial progress).
Why someone need some progress to put that on discussion? He just wanted to help at something and give a idea. Post a new topic about that is not a entirely a good idea but not a motive to be stupid as that quick, lets edit my previous post! .
Explaining better what i said, port a entire game for another platform is something that just nintendo can do right now. Someone can try to do a n64 for 3DS but i don't think hardware is enough to a satisfactory experience.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No one is going to make a MM homebrew port for you.

Anyone with the skills to do that has better things to do. Moreover, asking them to invest years of their lives to give you something you want is not realistic.

Scorchy

Wanderer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one is going to make a MM homebrew port for you.

Anyone with the skills to do that has better things to do. Moreover, asking them to invest years of their lives to give you something you want is not realistic.

You think i'm the only one who want Majora's Mask for 3DS? Huh? Well maybe one of those 57 017 peoples can make it possible

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
or maybe they don't, so they resort to signing frivolous petitions online....Nintendo gonna do what they want, when they want....dont get me wrong i would like to see it, but generally speaking homebrew ports of games dont generally live up to the original...and even rarer still it actually get completed, it usually goes...here is a beta, its buggy and is only the first 20 minutes of the game........never to be heard from again or....a pretty poor attempt of a port

if it ever happens i would prefer for it to be done properly by nintendo or if theres was a genuine fan made version it would be better it be made for the PC so it has a much bigger audience and more power to make something technically and visually impressive

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think i'm the only one who want Majora's Mask for 3DS? Huh? Well maybe one of those 57 017 peoples can make it possible

And how does that change the situation? Whoever does it still needs to invest years of man hours and what will the team get in return? Nothing but infamy and lawsuits from Nintendo. It would also require additional and specific hardware to be played so the market (if it could even be considered a market) would be too tiny to be worth pleasing.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo won't do it, let's do it ourselves!

I can't remember where, but I specifically said in a previous thread that whenever an OP uses words like "For us" "Can we" or "Let's do it ourselves", 9 times out of 10 whatever they are asking for is impossible and they have no idea how anything relating to that topic works. Also, they usually mean "Do this for me while I sit on my ass". You just prove my point.:p1ng:

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I would not say it's impossible to do a ROM hack based on oot3d. No one seriously thought about that?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, i have no code skills at all

Then why did you make this post? It'd be one thing if you could actually contribute a useful skill (ie ASM, C, or C++ knowledge in either embedded or desktop platforms) but threads like this tend to just derailing into a complete cluster or garbage and people saying what isn't and is possible. While homebrew is kinda possible at the moment, the most we will ever get is (maybe) an N64 emulator, because chances are that OoT 3DS is not a direct port, and it likely does not use many of the same resources/scripts/whatnot from the original game.

Reactions: IronClouds

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I would not say it's impossible to do a ROM hack based on oot3d. No one seriously thought about that?
Perhaps this would be realistic if the information were able to be modified. As things stand, ROMs can be dumped, but nobody can modify, read, or even so much as extract actual game content from 3DS ROMs. If we were modifying ROMs from generations past that were much simpler and had far less encryption, then it would be possible.

Even if such tools did exist, there are two issues. Firstly, even if content were modifiable, it isn't something that can be copied and pasted from the original N64 variation. It would take months, if not years, of work to modify and create the world of Majora's Mask and insert it into the OOT ROM. Secondly, the game would need to be rewritten at a low level to handle time based systems and events that go on within Majora's Mask--something that is highly unlikely even with reverse engineering. It's almost a guarantee that something like that would require the SDK to properly implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol