Gateway B1 to B2 and current restrictions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by apachehavok, Mar 28, 2014.

1. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    So ive been rolling on B1 for a bit now and have a long trip coming up. I havent really started playing any games yet but the fact that when running B1 it only goes into gateway mode like 50% of the time is starting to get annoying.

UNDERSTANDING all this B2 brick risk and even never running diagnostic mode is no guarantee, how do I update to B2?

Do I literally just replace the launcher.dat? Is B2 a lot less buggy then B1 (except of course the whole brick thing)?

I never installed emunand but can someone tell me if I need it or not? I have no interest in Pokemon X/Y

Thanks!!

2. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Yes

I guess, it crashes less on startup. I don't crash often on B1 though, what I do is hold L to get into the Gateway menu, then after hitting "Gateway mode" I quickly start to hold L. I remember reading this when B1 first came out months ago and it generally works for me.

Not unless you have an interest in eshop games.

3. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Yes and yes.

4. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Cool thanks for the advice.

What about the saving stuff? I heard some people have issues on B1 saving? Are all these issues gone on B2?

ALSO - Lets say you close your lid in gateway mode and it runs out of battery. Any reports of that causing a brick? Im assuming it cant be too good for the system at all when in gateway mode right?

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Gateway mode doesn't do anything permanent to the system, so I'd think it should be just as fine as turning it off manually.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    1 person reported that they got bricked when it went flat, but mine has gone flat plenty of times in gateway mode...so i cant really say what went on there.....i have tested it a bit with a flat battery and let it run out of charge plenty of times still no flat battery brick....if you wanna play it safe just shut down when you finish playing

7. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    There is an issue at times (SORRY, B1 ONLY!!!). All you have to do is get into a game, save and exit to record the save in the SD. If it does work, you're good to go and start playing. If not, reboot and retry

There could be, but what was found was that the brick triggers at some point, but the system continues to function until you reboot. So it seems to be fine, but it's already semi-bricked, although you'll only notice when rebooting.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    the save issues are completely gone afaik on b2, never had it freeze on saving like in b1

and yeah that is correct about it still working in emunand after the brick as displayed in my video, emunand will still make your 3ds appear as if its working fine, when i bricked running diagnostics with no emunand it just freezes when you go to gateway mode forcing you to reset and find your brick, thats why it took so long for the "main" cause to be found

9. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    You need emunand if you want to play retail 3DS games which require higher firmware than 4.5.

10. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Well he has no interest in Pokemon X/Y so he can play every other game with GW. For animal crossing since it requires 4.5 he can play that too.

11. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    So if we were to compile a list this is how it would be correct? Please feel free to add/remove or change.

2.0B1:
    - No brick code what so ever
    - Boot bugs sometimes
    - Save game bug sometimes

2.0B2
    - Brick code present
    - Boot errors gone
    - Save errors gone

But as far as we know, to date B2 will run any game. Including the new Yoshis island in English. (with the exception of pokemon)

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    suppose 7.x emunand compatibility too for b2

13. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Ahh so Emunand doesnt work on B1?

2.0B1:
    - No brick code what so ever
    - Boot bugs sometimes
    - No Emuand
    - Save game bug sometimes

2.0B2
    - Brick code present
    - Boot errors gone
    - Save errors gone
    - Emunand support

14. Loke

Loke GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Netherlands
    It does work, but as far as I know it's working better with older firmware.
    I still got the 7.1 emunand from 2.02b, but a lot of games load with an incorrect language with the 2.01b.

Nightwish likes this.