Gateway and retail Pokemon X/Y and OR / AS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by novadragon849, Dec 21, 2014.

1. novadragon849
    OP

novadragon849 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2011
    United States
    Hi I haven't touched my gateway for a while and want some clarification if possible.

I read a while back that you can play retail pokemon X/Y and OR/AS via emunand and go online / save etc all perfectly.

The only problem is that when you slot the retail cart into another official 3DS, the save will be corrupted so you must play on the 3DS with emunand as it saved using different encryption or something.

Is this still the case or has it been changed since?

Also what is classic mode? Should I choose that over gateway mode to play my retail pokemon game?

Thank you

2. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Yes. This is possible now.

AFAIK this has changed. But don't take my word on it I don't own a Gateway to confirm this.

Yes. Classic mode is what allows you to play retail games.

3. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    it's still the same. Gateway uses an older encryption on the saves and so it's not compatible with saves from higher firmwares

4. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Classic mode is the only way to play retail cartridges, region free and without minimum firmware requirements.

Emunand or "gateway mode" is for roms. The only way to play your retail cart in gateway mode is to dump it via the Gateway menu (hold L after pressing "DS Profile) rename the rom to .3DZ and copy it to your microSD.

Regarding the saves thing, someone else might be able to chime in here and explain it better than i, but it's because of something to do with nintendo changing the keyY method of saving.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. novadragon849
    OP

novadragon849 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the help guys.

From the sounds of it, things haven't changed for the save issue which is a shame as that means I can't play the game on another 3DS.

Cheers guys

6. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    thanks for opining this thread
    i have another question related to the save for Pokemon

using a retail game on gateway 3DS , will make the save unreadable on other 3DS ? right ?
    also the powersave 3DS can't read the save from a retail game that was played on the modded 3DS ?
    this also applied for Pokemon ORAS ?

7. safkjgs

safkjgs Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2007
    United States
    Am I correct in understanding that if I use a Gateway on my 3ds that I will be unable to use my X/Y retail cart & save with that particular console?

8. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    if you're using GW then you can use it to play the retail card on your 3DS. if you already played the game before on a console with firmware above 6.x and you saved the game, then GW can't use that savegame because of its encryption and says the save is corrupted.
    you could try however to dump the rom, use savedatafiler to extract the files inside the save, make a new save and then inject the old files back into the new save. Dunno if like that would work.
    this is only valid for pokemon games since they're card 2 games tho.