Gateway and accessing eshop. Different regions as well?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Avenger2000, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Avenger2000
    OP

Avenger2000 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2014
    United States
    I have a few questions about the Gateway flash card. If you use the Gateway card and assuming the emunand is up to date, can you access the Nintendo eshop and buy games? Will these games work with no problem using the emunand? Also can you choose which eshop to access? So if I have a US 3ds, can I somehow choose to access the Japan eshop? I understand that nintendo updated the firmware to version 8 so until gateway does the same with the emunand, this won't work at all. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Nope, emuNAND eShop is region locked.

3. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    Also you can't streetpass with a game of a different region of yours.

4. SaggyBeans

SaggyBeans GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    Gateway has not yet released a firmware update to support 8.x firmware so eShop is down for the time being. The upcoming firmware update should support eShop but no one can say 100% since it hasnt been released yet. I don't believe you can choose your eShop.. If you have an american 3ds you can only access the US eShop, same goes for Uk or Japan. If you want to access the Japan eShop you would need a Japanese 3ds.

5. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    Can you please elaborate on that, I'm not exactly sure what you mean

6. PercentSevenC

PercentSevenC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I do hope that changes at some point. Frankly I'd much rather have the Japanese eShop than the US one.

7. SaggyBeans

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    The region is embedded in the firmware itself so gateway would have to find out a way to modify the region in the firmware and give us an option to change it to allow such access.. not sure how hard that would be and if it's even possible.

8. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007

For example I'm european and I tried to streetpass with the na version ( since they still won't release it for europe grr) of SMT IV and I couldn't because it told me to accept the terms of agreement which I already had accepted .... but it was asking for the NA ones LOL

9. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I'm a bit surprised nobody really answered the first question yet...
    Yes, once you're able to access eShop again, you will be able to buy games and they will work just fine on EmuNAND.
    The downside to this is that the purchases are tied to your emuNAND. You can't get the games on your real NAND or a different system, and (re)formatting your emuNAND will get rid of the purchases.

10. Avenger2000
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2014
    United States

You wouldn't be able to download them again?

11. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Not if the EmuNAND has been reformatted, since the download tickets will be wiped away with the old EmuNAND. And the eShop checks these download tickets to see if you have bought the game and can redownload it.

12. SaggyBeans

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    It's very strange that they would not link purchases to an eShop account but rather these "tickets".. what if your 3DS breaks one day? Nintendo is forcing you to repurchase all these games because their product failed.. sounds pretty dumb to me.

13. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    Hmm I've streetpassed with a JPN region game on my US region 3ds, the game that I used was project mirai 2, it seems to work alright, maybe it depends on the game

14. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Well, they do have a record of who purchased what and customer service is willing to restore your purchases on a new 3DS.
    ...That said, I doubt they'll do it if they know you used emuNAND, and they definitely won't restore purchases to a new emuNAND.

SaggyBeans likes this.
  15. Avenger2000
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2014
    United States
    Hmmm... Looks like if I want to buy Japanese eshop games, I'll have to buy a japanese 3ds from the above statements. Too easy to lose purchases otherwise. I guies with Japanese roms I can try that header modifier rick to get them to work online under gateway but it looks a bit tricky to me.

16. sgtkwol

sgtkwol GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    United States

Any idea if Nintendo can detect emuNAND, remotely? I kind of wonder if they would restore, without realizing what they are doing.

17. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    My guess is... no, they can't see that. But that really is just a guess. There is no proof for either side.