Hardware [GATEWAY] Accidentally formatted my EmuNAND, and my Blue Card isn't working. Stuck?

FDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dumb noob alert.

Okay, I'm on firmware 4.1. Long story short, I was following a guide to update my EmuNAND. I had formatted the EmuNAND through the Gateway Menu to be sure, had started fiddling with the connection settings, but my 3DS blacked out. Resetted it. The Gateway launcher stopped working.
"All right" - I thought - "I'll just have to use the Blue Card to run the exploit again, I guess". But... Cool! Now not the Blue card is not working. Probably too old for its own good.

To make sure (*2) I cleaned the card with alcohol, still not working. Opened it up, cleaned it again thoroughly, blasted thing still not working.

Now, to sum it up, I'm kind of lost between all the tutorials and stuff. I hadn't been using my Gateway for a long time. 'kay, now, to make it simple: is there a way, as of today, on an old 3DS with firmware 4.1, to get back to the friggin' Gateway launcher without the Blue Card?

P.S. I had made a CTRL+C/ CTRL+V backup of the entire content of my SD on my PC. Although I suppose it was useless?

Thanks for your time. This thing is driving me crazy. I should buy a new R4 probably, but I'd have to wait weeks for it to arrive.

Last edited by FDA,

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I think you can only get back without a DS Flashcart if you the Internet Browser from your same Firmware, in case you have it you can try to launch it from the Internet Browser if you have one.

FDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Eh... No browser, sadly. I'm on firmware 4.1, but never updated through the internet. Thank you for the heads up, though. :)

*Sigh* what a pain. If I update through a game to a higher firmware, would it be enough to get the browser? Read that Smash Bros would work. Are there any others?

Last edited by FDA,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has 8.1, which would have a Gateway-compatible Internet Browser. I bought a copy from GameStop, updated, then returned mine for a full refund the next day. In your case, I would find someone who has a copy and ask to borrow it solely for updating.

FDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Haha, not too real life friends with the 3DS around my parts. Anyway, thank you too! Might have to check it out.
Could "Pokemon Art Academy" work as well? Looks like the cheapest of the bunch.

Even if it doesn't give me the browser, I read that there is a way to bypass this in order to use the exploit. That is by using a QR scan. If that's the case, would updating to, say, aforementioned firmware 8.1 suffice? I'll stress that I believe I need to update through a game anyway... I don't think I can use the QR scan feature with firmware 4.1.

https://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hold on, though. Reading here that the latest firmware (11.0.0-33) supports the browser exploit... (well, technically it would the contrary). Is it correct? In that case could I simply update reguarly and then use the exploit?
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits

Sounds a little too good to be true.

Last edited by FDA,

NintenDavid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, not too real life friends with the 3DS around my parts. Anyway, thank you too! Might have to check it out.

Even if it doesn't give me the browser, I read that there is a way to bypass this in order to use the exploit. That is by using a QR scan. If that's the case, would updating to, say, aforementioned firmware 8.1 suffice? I'll stress that I believe I need to update through a game anyway... I don't think I can use the QR scan feature with firmware 4.1.

Hold on, though. Reading here that the latest firmware (11.0.0-33) supports the browser exploit... (well, technically it would the contrary). Is it correct? In that case could I simply update reguarly and then use the exploit?

No! Don't update! You will lose access to gateway or anything cfw.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Do not update, you will only make things worse for yourself.
When you say "not working" what exactly do you mean? As that is not helpful to people trying to help you at all. It's pretty much the worst thing you can say when asking for help. Where, when and how is it failing?
Either you get the blue card working again, or you can use another DS flashcart to install the exploit, but you will need a DS flashcart.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

FDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Right, sorry. "Not working" as in "dead". I'm reasonably sure because:

A. The card was working before,
B. The right files from the Gateway Team are there in Micro SD,
C. My PC reads the Micro SD when it's plugged in,
D. Carefully cleaning the card with a q-tip and alcohol didn't work.

I haven't used the card in some months or maybe even a year or two. I guess it simply lived its life and died quietly.
I've read of another situation similar to mine here, and apparently having an old 3DS with no browser seems to seal the deal. Looks like I necessarily have to get an R4 or similar.

*sigh* I would've preferred to go out and buy a game instead of waiting for another R4, but I'm starting to think that's inevitable at this point.

Last edited by FDA,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
There IS a way to get Gateway functionality back, but it requires you to spend quite a bit of money.

This method requires these 8 things in addition to a working Internet connection:
1.) a Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (OOT3D) cartridge
2.) a Super Smash Bros. 3DS (SSB3DS) cartridge
3.) A Datel Action Replay Powersaves 3DS
4.) The Internet Browser (Spider) v1.7567 in .cia format (get it from 'that 3ds iso site'; Google helps here - just search for "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)" without quotes) on the root of your 3DS SD card
5.) The FBI.3ds file in the root of your Gateway microSD card
6.) The Homebrew Launcher's (HBL) boot.3dsx and '3ds' folder on the root of your 3DS SD card (just extract the Homebrew Starter Kit archive to the root of your 3DS SD card)
7.) A hacked OOT3D save for accessing the HBL (get it from yellows8's GitHub)
8.) The GW.3dsx file in /3ds/GW/ on your 3DS SD

First, start the process of updating to 9.2 with the SSB3DS cartridge, then install the Powersaves 3DS software on a Windows or Mac PC (make sure to also update the software when asked; it should ask you to update when you open it after installing it!)

Second, insert and run the OOT3D cartridge after updating to 9.2 completes. If there is no save, create a save, then play until you can move and save the game. Quit and return to the Home Menu.

Third, install the hacked save on your OOT3D cartridge using your Powersaves 3DS by following the instructions in the oot3dhax readme.

Fourth, set up your 3DS SD card with the proper files on steps 4-8 above, then back up your entire SD card's contents on your PC (the reason for this is explained further down)

Fifth, launch the hacked OOT3D save, then in the HBL, eject the OOT3D cartridge and put in the Gateway Red Card, select Gateway, then immediately press and hold the L button.

Note: If you still have an emuNAND, the process outlined in the next step should work, but if for some reason you don't have an emuNAND anymore, you'll need to choose 'Format emuNAND' before doing the next step, turn off your 3DS when it finishes, then copy back all the backed up files to your 3DS SD.

Sixth, hover over the Gateway Mode option, hold B, and press A while still holding down B (this will boot sysNAND in Gateway mode, which will enable you to install the Internet Browser .cia file).

Seventh, press Select, then hover over the FBI icon and press A to load it, then press A on the FBI icon on the Home Menu screen.

Finally, install the Internet Browser .cia file by selecting SD, then finding the .cia file in the root and selecting it. When finished, just turn off your 3DS, then turn it back on.

To access the Gateway menu later on, just use Browserhax to access the HBL, then install MenuHax (use the MenuHax_Manager homebrew to do this). Then the HBL will open upon system startup automatically (after quite a few colored screens). If you ever get stuck on a yellow screen, just hold down your 3DS power button until the power LED light turns off, then try turning it on again.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
@MarcusCarter That wll work but I don"t think use Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is the better option to update since not all gamecards have the 9.2 updates only some of tthem.
Maybe the DS Flashcart will be a little cheaper if the OP cares about that, if he wants to update to 9.0-9.2 with a gamecard then he will need to search the correct Super SmashBros. for 3DS with the 9.2.0-X update or another gamecard with that update.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have to go through all this trouble to get gateway working again why don't you just install A9LH?

It's not like the gateway card provides any better features...

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
If you have to go through all this trouble to get gateway working again why don't you just install A9LH?

If he can't boot Gateway, he can't install A9LH.

And it does have some better features: .3DS loading and easy to use cheats. Granted, Luma has some better features too, so I'd recommend using a combination of both.

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That doesn't relate to the topic on how he wants to use his gate way. I'm tired of people who say use Luma etc when they want to use a gateway

Reactions: evandixon

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he can't boot Gateway, he can't install A9LH.

And it does have some better features: .3DS loading and easy to use cheats. Granted, Luma has some better features too, so I'd recommend using a combination of both.

That doesn't relate to the topic on how he wants to use his gate way. I'm tired of people who say use Luma etc when they want to use a gateway

Okay... my bad... I didn't realize that you could do cheats on gateway...

But nonetheless.. can't gateway boot faster / easier using A9LH?

Couldn't the system be updated to 9.2 using smash, and follow the guide from there?

Gateway works on 9.2 right?

Last edited by DanTheMan827,
Reactions: zezzo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ