Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying that it's good to see flashcarts go back up in price is an assbackwords way of looking at the market. This device is step back in terms of technology compared to Gateway and it's clones. It only emulates cartridges and does so poorly. It clearly does not cost $80+ to mass produce it. If it was higher end and was flashable to get around updates, I can see the price making sense.. But as it is now...It's clearly an overpriced product designed to milk ignorant customers of their money and once an update comes to block it, they may release a new flashcart revision or just close up shop and run with the money.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to keep paying $30 or less for my flash carts and I never said it was actually good that they are going up in price again. I was only saying that back when almost no one knew about them, they were made in some college kid's dorm room one at a time and cost $800 there was far less of the nonsense being posted by people who had no idea what they were doing or talking about... And there was almost no "Links th3 ROMz ple3ze." Us users back then knew what, when and how. That's what I miss, and really it was their price and obscurity that kept it from being more like it is now, wouldn't you say?

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A couple of methods:

1. Learn Japanese (Tricky business, but quite worth it)

2. Look online for translation guides. (English patches are not known of at the moment. Give it about a year or so to pop up.)
Did you learn Japanese personally or do you know anyone who did? I thought about it once, because it would be cool to understand anime I'm watching, or maybe if I get into LNs I could read all those untranslated stuff.
Tbh though, along with most people, I would probably just forget about it 1 week in.

Reactions: PLEYOR and Wilhelm

mmn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is an exception. It might be the first english patch on the 3DS for a 3DS game.
There's been a Persona Q undub, but that's not the same as an actual translation patch.

Did you learn Japanese personally or do you know anyone who did? I thought about it once, because it would be cool to understand anime I'm watching, or maybe if I get into LNs I could read all those untranslated stuff.
Tbh though, along with most people, I would probably just forget about it 1 week in.
I would absolutely learn Japanese if learning languages wasn't one of my most hated activities.

Wilhelm

The Voice of Reason
Trophies
Website
myaltimit.com
XP
Country
United States

Like my three years of French class in middle school. Still can't remember much of it... Or the year of Spanish. In fact all I can remember is "Swiper, no swiping!" and that's not even Spanish or from the class.

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like my three years of French class in middle school. Still can't remember much of it... Or the year of Spanish. In fact all I can remember is "Swiper, no swiping!" and that's not even Spanish or from the class.

I meant I would just get lazy and stop trying to learn a week in.
But you're right, that too. I barely remember any of the French I learned in elementary, and each time summer break ends, I've had forgotten 80% of the Spanish I learned the year prior.

Reactions: Wilhelm

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
I had learnt it myself, had to self study.

If you wish to learn though, some Japanese titles like Yokai Watch that has furigana to aid in Kanji pronounciation would be ideal in helping, though it may be wise to learn hiragana and katakana first, then open an online Japanese dictionary or something to help you understand words you do not understand as you play the game.

In short, it really depends on you, if you wish to learn by comparing the english translation to the original text, or to learn the language as you progress the game.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to keep paying $30 or less for my flash carts and I never said it was actually good that they are going up in price again. I was only saying that back when almost no one knew about them, they were made in some college kid's dorm room one at a time and cost $800 there was far less of the nonsense being posted by people who had no idea what they were doing or talking about... And there was almost no "Links th3 ROMz ple3ze." Us users back then knew what, when and how. That's what I miss, and really it was their price and obscurity that kept it from being more like it is now, wouldn't you say?

The Sky3DS isn't something being produced 10 at a time out of someone's garage. It's a mass produced product that doesn't cost much more to produce then a Gateway or one it's clones. From the photos of it's PCB that are floating around, there isn't anything perticularly fancy going on under the hood. Sure the idea of how it works is a bit "different" then how previous 3DS flashcarts operated, but for something this simple, it requires a smaller dev team to maintain since all it does is emulate a cartridge. All they are really doing at this point is just releasing updates to their title database file so the cart knows how to emulate a new game that came out. That's about it. There is no emunand support to worry about, no homebrew features to keep track of or fix bugs on.

I still see no justification for the price it currently sells at. The retail shops that sell it have the right to refuse stock it. But they lack the courage and principle to do it. They just stock it because like the manufacturer that made and sets the price, they do it just to make a quick buck. That's all there is to it.

Prices are set by demand. The real sad part is that there really is enough people out their buying this flawed piece of ***t that it continues to sell for the outrageously high price that it goes for. If any good portion of their customer base had any sense or knowledge of the problems this device had, they wouldn't buy it and said lack of demand would eventually drive the price down. That's how a free market is supposed to work. But alas, fill the world with enough stupid people or those who know but just don't care, and this is what you get. I hope you enjoy them higher prices. :P

Reactions: VinsCool

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
I meant I would just get lazy and stop trying to learn a week in.
But you're right, that too. I barely remember any of the French I learned in elementary, and each time summer break ends, I've had forgotten 80% of the Spanish I learned the year prior.
The main issue with languages, is that you have to be actively using them, in which most of us who are trying to learn languages have problems with due to communicating most of the time in or native/most used to language.

The technique to avoid this is to find ways in which you are forced to utilize said language, most effectively in books or games, something that will engage you.

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had learnt it myself, had to self study.

If you wish to learn though, some Japanese titles like Yokai Watch that has furigana to aid in Kanji pronounciation would be ideal in helping, though it may be wise to learn hiragana and katakana first, then open an online Japanese dictionary or something to help you understand words you do not understand as you play the game.

In short, it really depends on you, if you wish to learn by comparing the english translation to the original text, or to learn the language as you progress the game.

How long did it take you, and at what age did you start? @.@
For me, if I would try to learn Japanese, I would have to either give up on my grades, stop gaming, or stop watching anime

That, and my family would probably be pissed I mastered Japanese instead of Korean rofl

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The main issue with languages, is that you have to be actively using them, in which most of us who are trying to learn languages have problems with due to communicating most of the time in or native/most used to language.

The technique to avoid this is to find ways in which you are forced to utilize said language, most effectively in books or games, something that will engage you.

Actively using french and english, very useful for romhacking and translations :P

Reactions: medoli900

ComedyGold

Trophies
XP
Country
You'd need to dedicate a lot of time to properly learn Japanese (Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji). It's pretty much up to learner to decide how difficult it'll be, if you have a lot of free time and dedicate yourself to it, it won't be difficult.

However, if you do decide to learn an additional language, I'd recommend learning one which will give you more job prospects (if you need them). Since Japanese students now have mandatory English classes, Japanese employers who are looking for translators will prefer to employ Japanese people also know English, rather than westerners who also know Japanese. This is for many obvious reasons, such as westerners not having a full grasp on the Japanese language which is very common.

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
How long did it take you, and at what age did you start? @.@
For me, if I would try to learn Japanese, I would have to either give up on my grades, stop gaming, or stop watching anime

That, and my family would probably be pissed I mastered Japanese instead of Korean rofl
Eh, it took me about a couple of weeks to get the hiragana and katakana in, then procrastination kicked in, and I played Japanese titles for 2 years every now and then ( read at most 2 weeks worth), then I continued on with Kanji this year. It really is more of how determined you are. If you're not as lazy as I am, you'll most prob have no problem. Kanji however, will be more like a lifelong thingie since there actually is a whole bunch of 'em.
Anime is actually not a bad way to learn Japanese, but you would have to find one with Japanese subtitles, it'll be easier, preferably with english subtitles as well if you wish to.

As for learning Korean......well, I'm learning French here as well. So yeah......As long as you understand the basic grammar and sentence structure of a language, along with some vocab, you're a-OK.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
As long as you understand the basic grammar and sentence structure of a language, along with some vocab, you're a-OK.

that's how we mostly learn to speak, any languages, as a kid.
It is much harder as an adult though. easible, but difficult.

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
that's how we mostly learn to speak, any languages, as a kid.
It is much harder as an adult though. easible, but difficult.
Nah, it's only harder due to how we link things that sound and/or look similar to what we say in our native tongues. If fact, learning Japanese KINDA helped me out a LITTLE for some of the french words, due to an already set number of pronunciations that I can play with to as close to how the word may sound. -_-;

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, it's only harder due to how we link things that sound and/or look similar to what we say in our native tongues. If fact, learning Japanese KINDA helped me out a LITTLE for some of the french words, due to an already set number of pronunciations that I can play with to as close to how the word may sound. -_-;

Weird, I found much more similarities between english and french than japanese and french lol

Reactions: 2Hack

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Weird, I found much more similarities between english and french than japanese and french lol
Where do you get all that time to learn all those languages? Don't you have school or work?
I would love to learn new languages, but I also don't want to give up on alot of things.
I guess I don't really care enough to go through with it.
Maybe this will help my friend though, he's always trying to talk to me in Japanese and keeps asking people to take Japanese classes with him haha :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof