Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
At this point it's obviously all just speculation, but the exploit might exist in earlier versions as well, might be just that GW focused on the latest OS for now.

Reactions: Margen67

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this thread was open because people wanted to speculate more here than the old one.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT XBOX EMULATOR BRO!!!

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
considering they know about the exploit, they would do EVERYTHING in their power to skip that update in games.
Because if there is no game containing the 9.0-9.2 update, then soon people won't be able to update to 9.0-9.2 at all when Nintendo rolls out the new firmware.
Because they would loose money if they didnt?
But they don't know what to patch.
For all we know Nintendo releases an update to 9.3.0 AND simultaneously a game, and gateway happens to work on the firmware, there you go you have a game with a firmware.

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For all we know Nintendo releases an update to 9.3.0 AND simultaneously a game, and gateway happens to work on the firmware, there you go you have a game with a firmware.
Naturally. But we're all here wandering in the field of speculation. Nintendo could just as well find the exploit and patch it for next release. Or maybe the release after that.
Perhaps the question isn't so much "What are the chances they'll skip firmwares 9.0-9.2?" but rather "What are the chances they'll skip firmwares that are exploitable?"

D

Deleted-355425

It doesn't matter of they don't let you have the 9.x patch in games because it will only affect jap 3ds as they ship with firmware below 9.0 the pal ones come with 9.0 standard.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Would you really release a game that works on the latest firmware after this announcement? I sure wouldnt an N wouldnt also because they are not so stupid ( I guess ). Im guessing the next game update will be when they patch the exploit.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
One thing is for certain now. From now on It's Nintendo's turn to all the hacks that have been released. Whether they decide to fix Gateway first or ssspwn/Sky3ds remains unknown.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It doesn't matter of they don't let you have the 9.x patch in games because it will only affect jap 3ds as they ship with firmware below 9.0 the pal ones come with 9.0 standard.
How often has Nintendo cycled their productionline in the past?
Like how are the jumps between 4.x and higher firmwares?
Would you really release a game that works on the latest firmware after this announcement? I sure wouldnt an N wouldnt also because they are not so stupid ( I guess ). Im guessing the next game update will be when they patch the exploit.
Would you hold off on game releases or FORCE them onto a lower firmware untill this exploit got fixed? (Not even knowing for certain what the exploit is?)
I doubt that they can freeze their productionline like that, getting any developers to alter their schedule.

Its just not very practical/realistic. (Note, there are numerous titles scheduled to release for late 2014 and early 2015 that could contain 9.x FW)

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country

It wouldn't surprise me honestly, Nintendo is completely clueless in many areas.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How often has Nintendo cycled their productionline in the past?
Like how are the jumps between 4.x and higher firmwares?

Would you hold off on game releases or FORCE them onto a lower firmware untill this exploit got fixed? (Not even knowing for certain what the exploit is?)
I doubt that they can freeze their productionline like that, getting any developers to alter their schedule.

Its just not very practical/realistic. (Note, there are numerous titles scheduled to release for late 2014 and early 2015 that could contain 9.x FW)

Its not practical but it does the job. Saves the developers and Nintendo a lot of money!

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I agree with this. Nintendo has historically rolled all their exploit fixing firmwares into their AAA releases.

Now that pokemon is out of the door for this year, they probably won't be able to force people to update for a while.

Reactions: Margen67 and Danjal

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
A game must contain an update with the FIRM related to the SDK used by the developers. It was like that also with Wii IOSes, and 9.0 had a new FIRM included.
So that means, if a developer just started making a game right now with the for the 9.0.0 3DS using the 9.0.0 FIRM as you say, and release it on say mid, 2015, the game MUST come with 9.0.0 update?

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wondering if the creators of Sky3ds is going to do something about this... Anyways so happy for this and can't wait to buy mine cause my Nintendo 2DS is crying out for it.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So that means, if a developer just started making a game right now with the for the 9.0.0 3DS using the 9.0.0 FIRM as you say, and release it on say mid, 2015, the game MUST come with 9.0.0 update?
I think when the carts are manufactured (the game goes gold) they just slap on them the latest available fw. But it must be at minimum one containing the firm related to the SDK used

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Something I posted a few pages back:

Might have been already mentioned but:
Sky3DS may not be as F*CKED as we think.
Nintendo will most likely patch this kernel exploit. And if Sky3DS does turn out to be 1:1 copy of a retail game, then it should be unblockable.
Thus, if you have a 9.3 or higher 3DS/N3DS, and you don't want to buy a 4.5 or a 9.2 3DS, then Sky3DS could have some value if they remove the 10 game limit.
Also,
I think when the carts are manufactured (the game goes gold) they just slap on them the latest available fw. But it must be at minimum one containing the firm related to the SDK used
There are many examples, but I'll take fire emblem awakening for this example.
  1. Fire Emblem Awakening was released in April 19, 2013 in Europe.
  2. This game has 4.5 firmware In the PAL release.
  3. 4.5 was released in December 4, 2012 in Europe.
The game was released in 2013, yet it used a patch that was released in 2012.
It may be Europe only, But it seems updates are not relevant to the date of manufacture of the cartridge.

Conclusion: There may be a retail cartridge released later that might contain 9.0.0 update.

Sources:

Reactions: Phantom_User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey