Hardware Gateway 3DS traveler: Gateway 3.0/3.1.1 exploit with no Internet

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As project is cool but, there's some problems.
Ppl will not pay for anything that is already free for mobiles... (iOS app, Android App or WP App).

Also, with the same price you can buy a wifi sd. So you can serve more things :)

Yes for sure, if you have a mobile phone. If not (a children), first buy a mobile phone for him first then use a wifi sd accessory to put on it so that it becomes a hotspot.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have been informed of the product; now chat as long as you want; no problem, it is your free will to think and do what you want.

The mentality here seems pretty negative, not interesting. It is often the way of those not doing things: they criticize eveything because this is not usefull for them, but don't know to do anything really by themselves as a solution to a problem. You can't imagine that it could be usefull for others... it has been the case of my son and is the case of many other people.

I am not interested anymore in your opinions. You have been informed; I went here because somebody told me to go here; but it was not a good idea, since it seems to be populated not be those nice guys I meet in real life. I let you feel the best with your sentences, I continue not to be the best with doing real things usefull in real life.

Bye

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have been informed of the product; now chat as long as you want; no problem, it is your free will to think and do what you want.

The mentality here seems pretty negative, not interesting. It is often the way of those not doing things: they criticize eveything because this is not usefull for them, but don't know to do anything really by themselves as a solution to a problem. You can't imagine that it could be usefull for others... it has been the case of my son and is the case of many other people.

I am not interested anymore in your opinions. You have been informed; I went here because somebody told me to go here; but it was not a good idea, since it seems to be populated not be those nice guys I meet in real life. I let you feel the best with your sentences, I continue not to be the best with doing real things usefull in real life.

Bye
I think everyone's getting off the wrong foot with you. The problem here is the prevalence of Android - I literally don't know a single person who has a 3DS and doesn't have some kind of a mobile device that could run the Gateway exploit site for them. Your argument is that your box could be used by children, but I'd argue that children are better off with a Sky3DS since that can't break anything wheras executing an exploit can. I think your little portable server (because really, that's what it is) is cool, I just don't think it has a lot of application in the real world.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your efforts are obviously effective, but due to the prevalence of cheap android devices, it's not much consideration besides a DIY project. The problem is an android device can be had for nothing. You don't even have to pay for one; I've fished some out of Target phone recycling. But I've bought them for $30, even one for $10 (kyocera hydro on black friday.) The offline solution seems perfect.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes for sure, if you have a mobile phone. If not (a children), first buy a mobile phone for him first then use a wifi sd accessory to put on it so that it becomes a hotspot.
Wifi SD is just a SD card with a built in wifi hotspot, you could use it as the 3DS main SD card and the exploit would always be accessible from the 3DS browser ;)

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll chime in on this since I love electronics and hobby projects are always always fun to look at.

So i am going to start with the good:
This is nice idea it really is, if you don't have a smart phone, or a computer handy at the time this works nicely. It's simple with a single button operation and it seems to just work, also I like the fact that it's a custom enclosure too. I can see the effort you put into making this and applaud you of you work. I love microcontrollers and wifi (IoT stuff lol) so I enjoy the use of it in this project (but then against how else would you do without it?) This fills a niche need and sometimes things like this are wanted / needed. Good job. ;)

So the Bad (in my humble opinion):
I will not re-iterate what everyone else has said but instead let's take a look at your project. The PCB design isn't bad but it kinda reminds me of a auto routed circuit, maybe it is hand routed and I am mistaken but some of your traces could be cleaned up. A couple of them have a small zig-zag in them or are very very close together, while this probably will not affect operation at all since how wide the traces are it's just something to consider. Honestly it's fine, i'm just being nit picky. :unsure:

When you are taking photos of your project and you have a very reflective surface, consider not using flash. Try using a tripod to allow for ambient lighting, as it hurts to look at the beautiful PCB board you made in that picture.

Why other are saying what they are:
A couple other members have commented on phones and even specialized wifi SD cards. While they are not trying to say your work is bad they are just pointing out common options that many have access to. They aren't ridiculing your work just questioning the need for such a device which you have stated. Here on the forum we trade a lot of ideas around as you'll notice that they are praising your work but still feel there is another way to solve this issue. I agree there isn't just one way to solve an open problem like this. ;)

Closing thoughts:
This again is a really cool project, I'd update the PCB board and make this really modular. What if instead of a single use application then we can use this for other things, because truely it is a mini webserver. Why not add headers to both controllers and have them removable so people can play and tinker around with the Atmega328p and wifi controller on their own? So now they are not just buying a single use thing but can expand on your ideas if gateway later on comes up with a new solution that no longer requires this. If your goal is really single application I think this can be shrunk down immensely, for LiPo charger you could use a TP4056, maybe use an ATTiny, and your wifi module but stack them to save space. Either way I am happy I got to see this and thank you for sharing :lol:

Reactions: cearp

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, uncomfortable because dangerous, you risk a 3Ds brick = buy a new 3DS. What is more, when downgrade, you can't anymore use many game cartridge because system version is too low. My son can use all his cartdridges in addition, R4 card too, or Gateway.

This is why we have "CLASSIC MODE" to run retail cartridges. Also, has there been any issues or reports of people bricking their 3ds by downgrading it? What's the fail rate? My 3ds XL that was once on firmware 9.2 is now 4.2 through downgrade and no issues whatsoever.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wifi SD is just a SD card with a built in wifi hotspot, you could use it as the 3DS main SD card and the exploit would always be accessible from the 3DS browser ;)

A hotspot has bever been a HTTP server. Your wifi card will need a http server, so a smartphone to buy: it changes nothing.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As project is cool but, there's some problems.
Ppl will not pay for anything that is already free for mobiles... (iOS app, Android App or WP App).

Also, with the same price you can buy a wifi sd. So you can serve more things :)

Yes you are right.
So I wonder why you bought a 3DS? You know that you can play for free to all 3DS games and NDS games with a free emulator. Why are there so many unclever people buying then a 3DS... I ask again.... maybe because it is not to be used the same way, doesn'ty offer the same services, for the same persons.

The same applies for my project. It is usefull for those with the same needs my son had. You aren't those persons, but you can't imagine that other persons could need the same services because you yet have your way.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think everyone's getting off the wrong foot with you. The problem here is the prevalence of Android - I literally don't know a single person who has a 3DS and doesn't have some kind of a mobile device that could run the Gateway exploit site for them. Your argument is that your box could be used by children, but I'd argue that children are better off with a Sky3DS since that can't break anything wheras executing an exploit can. I think your little portable server (because really, that's what it is) is cool, I just don't think it has a lot of application in the real world.

I did nit buy Sky3Ds for myu children when choosing between sky3DS and Gateway because there is a big annoyance with sky3DS: you must push the button to have tghe next game (when loaded), then if it is not the one you want, then push button and wait again to show what it is. In 5 lminutes you can find the game you want to play to at blind... this is not at all interesting and is why I did not choose sky3DS. With gateway you have a menu and can choose.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess I'll chime in on this since I love electronics and hobby projects are always always fun to look at.

So i am going to start with the good:
This is nice idea it really is, if you don't have a smart phone, or a computer handy at the time this works nicely. It's simple with a single button operation and it seems to just work, also I like the fact that it's a custom enclosure too. I can see the effort you put into making this and applaud you of you work. I love microcontrollers and wifi (IoT stuff lol) so I enjoy the use of it in this project (but then against how else would you do without it?) This fills a niche need and sometimes things like this are wanted / needed. Good job. ;)

So the Bad (in my humble opinion):
I will not re-iterate what everyone else has said but instead let's take a look at your project. The PCB design isn't bad but it kinda reminds me of a auto routed circuit, maybe it is hand routed and I am mistaken but some of your traces could be cleaned up. A couple of them have a small zig-zag in them or are very very close together, while this probably will not affect operation at all since how wide the traces are it's just something to consider. Honestly it's fine, i'm just being nit picky. :unsure:

When you are taking photos of your project and you have a very reflective surface, consider not using flash. Try using a tripod to allow for ambient lighting, as it hurts to look at the beautiful PCB board you made in that picture.

Why other are saying what they are:
A couple other members have commented on phones and even specialized wifi SD cards. While they are not trying to say your work is bad they are just pointing out common options that many have access to. They aren't ridiculing your work just questioning the need for such a device which you have stated. Here on the forum we trade a lot of ideas around as you'll notice that they are praising your work but still feel there is another way to solve this issue. I agree there isn't just one way to solve an open problem like this. ;)

Closing thoughts:
This again is a really cool project, I'd update the PCB board and make this really modular. What if instead of a single use application then we can use this for other things, because truely it is a mini webserver. Why not add headers to both controllers and have them removable so people can play and tinker around with the Atmega328p and wifi controller on their own? So now they are not just buying a single use thing but can expand on your ideas if gateway later on comes up with a new solution that no longer requires this. If your goal is really single application I think this can be shrunk down immensely, for LiPo charger you could use a TP4056, maybe use an ATTiny, and your wifi module but stack them to save space. Either way I am happy I got to see this and thank you for sharing :lol:

I routed my PCB myself at hand. I don't need specially fine roads, I personnaly chosed to have big roads to have better conductivity. this is not a HF circuit.

Don't spend more time about what this project could be usefull for you if it were different. I wernt not here to design a circuit for your needs or not. I designed a product answering a specific need. This is not your need? No probklem, so why are you (collectively) here riting down on this subject? Because the world must know that you don't need it? This is very interesting for the whole world I think. But maybe with no specific writing here to telle that YOU don't need it, this could be more productive not to write down?

Yes, it seems a big problem for many not to spend time explianinbg how you should do things and why they are not interesting because you don't need it. But as I stated yet, you don't need 3DS, you can use computer to do the same for free. Why do you spend time on 3Ds subjects so?

I will keep a good remembrance of people here, very interesting remembrance.

Pascelectric

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is that an Arduino clone I see :P
You should consider including a barebones Arduino as part of the main PCB, it would save space (and maybe money). Only a few components are needed for a functional arduino: the ATmega chip, a 16mhz crystal oscillator, and two capacitors. It can run at 8mhz without anything more than the chip itself. If you don't use many I/O pins you can get away with one of the many supported ATTiny chips which are even cheaper. In addition you will want a voltage regulator on the board. This will be more soldering work than a separate arduino board but a much more permanent solution and you may be able to make the finished product more compact this way.

Thank you bvery much. As i did not spend 200 hours on the subject I did not think to this idea before. So I did not search the web for prices at the right beginning of my project, and then I did not find that only an Atmekl chip costs two times the whole arduino clone module from China with Atemel, crystal, regulator 3.3V for 800mA, etc.

I have been saved by all of you; because you made me realize that my device was useless and I must be a fool to pay to build a device I could clone for free with an Android device. All this I did not ever think about, thank you for all; and it is why I did not think about the real need of the device for children that I built one. If not I would have stopped before building.

There are so many helping people here. Thank you again.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I routed my PCB myself at hand. I don't need specially fine roads, I personnaly chosed to have big roads to have better conductivity. this is not a HF circuit.

Don't spend more time about what this project could be usefull for you if it were different. I wernt not here to design a circuit for your needs or not. I designed a product answering a specific need. This is not your need? No probklem, so why are you (collectively) here riting down on this subject? Because the world must know that you don't need it? This is very interesting for the whole world I think. But maybe with no specific writing here to telle that YOU don't need it, this could be more productive not to write down?

Yes, it seems a big problem for many not to spend time explianinbg how you should do things and why they are not interesting because you don't need it. But as I stated yet, you don't need 3DS, you can use computer to do the same for free. Why do you spend time on 3Ds subjects so?

I will keep a good remembrance of people here, very interesting remembrance.
Sigh it's like you purposely see only the negatives of what I and others wrote and didn't even bother with the positives, like you've already filtered them out. It seems that you feel that we are attacking you, I was just sharing my thoughts and opinions and if that is so wrong or you feel like it's a personal attack on your then I shall have nothing else to say to you unfortunately and apologize for my words. It seems you cannot take any dose of criticism, constructive or not. :(

So again I am sorry, please disregard everything i have said I was merely curious about it all. I enjoy projects like this, and I always try to understand other people's design choices to learn for myself as well. I like when people chime in with other ideas that may have worked as well because we all learn, you forget this is a forum. I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you. Goodbye. :glare:

P.S. "I wernt not here to design a circuit for your needs or not. I designed a product answering a specific need." We all understand that, but you like to berate anyone and make snarky sarcastic remarks to those that have anything else to say regarding your design and application. I was just suggesting things, you didn't have to take it as personal attack, sheesh.:sad: This again is a forum, if you didn't want a reply, write your post and then have the mods lock it immediately.

Reactions: cearp

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
the idea is interesting, but not good enough since people can just downgrade to 4.x (relatively safe) and not cheap enough (downgrade to 4.x is free)

just keep it for your son, since he will be happy?

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I received my Gateway 3DS Traveler a few days ago and I think it's a really cool device. I don't want to downgrade my 9.2 SysNAND because of the save encryption, I don't own a smartphone (and don't intend to get one) and I like to have my 3DS around when I'm on vacation - so this is perfect for me. It's really easy to use - just switch it on, boot Gateway and switch it off again.

There's no rxTools compatibility (yet?), but that shouldn't be a big deal breaker for Gateway owners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou