Hacking Gateway + 3DS sleep mode battery life

ceevee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this perform similarly to a flashcart with a SoC that will drain the battery at a higher than normal rate even in sleep mode?

Or does the Gateway flashcart perform similarly to a retail cart and drains battery at a normal rate in sleep mode?

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without EmuNAND, there will be zero impact on normal battery life.

With it... there should be no impact on battery life, it hasn't really been tested thoroughly [to my knowledge].

MrEl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just turn it off if you're concerned about the battery life.
I always turn off my 3ds after playing games.

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found that when I just remove the Gateway Cartridge when I put my 3DS in sleep mode significantly increases battery life.
Like from barely lasting one night to lasting several days in standby.

Reactions: Nightwish

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Like all flash cards: ds2 or gateway has their own CPU so they drain more faster your battery than the original ones, even you've got ur 3ds fully charged. Just like Mrei said, turn off your console when you done with it :)

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
All flash cards like ds2 or gateway has its own CPU, they drain more faster your battery than the original ones, even you've got ur 3ds fully charged. Just like Mrei said, turn off your console when you done with it :)

Or just do as I started to do since I left the console on all the time , close the game when you're done with it. It can't use that cpu so much when the only info that it sends to the console is the info of what game is in the cartridge

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
My battery drains CRAZY fast in sleep mode with the card in. I have definitely noticed this.

I just click the card out of the system when putting it into sleep mode. I dont remove it, just click it out then when playing click it back into place. The battery does last much longer this way.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these claims of battery drainage while the cart is in use (e.g. while a ROM is active) or just simply in the sys or emuNAND menu? I've not noticed any difference in the battery life at all in my experience. Then again, I'm usually playing a legitimately obtained eShop game.

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed an increased battery usage in standby with both hemuNand and sysNand just when the red cart was plugged in.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed an increased battery usage in standby with both hemuNand and sysNand just when the red cart was plugged in.

The fact there's increased battery usage just by having the cart inserted while in the main menu (sysNAND or emuNAND) is very bizarre to me. Do you or anyone else know if the DSTWO is similar in that it uses power by simply being inserted and not necessarily by being in use?

The way I see it, it makes the most sense for a cart to use the battery when the cart is actively in use. But maybe I'm misunderstanding how this process is supposed to work.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact there's increased battery usage just by having the cart inserted while in the main menu (sysNAND or emuNAND) is very bizarre to me. Do you or anyone else know if the DSTWO is similar in that it uses power by simply being inserted and not necessarily by being in use?

The way I see it, it makes the most sense for a cart to use the battery when the cart is actively in use. But maybe I'm misunderstanding how this process is supposed to work.

The second that a flashcart is fully inserted into a console, it's "in use" regardless of whether you are actually using its functionality. Why? Because you have just completed the circuit to power said cart. While you may see longer battery life with it simply inserted vs being actively used, both times are still shorter than what it would be if you didn't have the cart inserted in the first place. The cart's PCB is always going to be draining some electricity so it can at least tell the 3DS what is inserted.

The course of action that I generally take whenever I put my 3DS XL into sleep mode is to plug in the charger. The battery can't die if it's charging.

Now as for a direct comparison against the DSTWO, the GW drains FAR less battery power than the DSTWO. I can leave the GW inserted, walk around 8-12 hours with it in sleep mode, and lose only a bar (rarely two) of battery life. If I do that with the DSTWO, my 3DS would be flashing red by the time I got home, if it even had any charge left.

The GW's battery consumption is rather minimal though. Earlier this month, I had put it in sleep mode with a game running before I flew home from my Wrestlemania trip. I had forgotten that it was on for a full 24 hours, at which point it was flashing red as opposed to being dead. Had I done that with my DSTWO, my 3DS would have died sometime in the middle of the night instead of being barely alive the next afternoon.

Reactions: IronClouds

MrEl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like all flash cards: ds2 or gateway has their own CPU so they drain more faster your battery than the original ones, even you've got ur 3ds fully charged. Just like Mrei said, turn off your console when you done with it :)

I didn't know there's a cpu in flash cart! I learned it today.. Thank you :)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
My R4i 3DS Gold cart drains my sleep battery down to just a few hours (Under 8) where-as if I eject the cart, and still keep it in the 2DS, the battery in sleep mode lasts me about 2 and a half days. Quite the difference, so I recommend always ejecting the card when sleeping. I haven't tested legit cart runtimes yet.

solamour

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is something I noticed. The battery goes drain noticeably faster if I leave Gateway cart in and just close the lid without turning it off completely. I'm sure completely powering off will save the battery most, but I'm just too lazy to go though the booting process. But if I leave the cart in and unload the game, the standby time increases significantly. What I mean by unloading is,

1) Exit from the game by pressing HOME and EXIT.
2) Press SELECT to bring up the list of games in GW cart.
3) Press B to unload the currently selected game.

After step 3), it's as if you pulled out the cart. When you want to play games again, just press SELECT to bring up the game list.
__
sol

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a dstwo and a GW and the only thing i can say is that: dstwo plugged inn runs very hot after a bit,hot=Power consumption=battery will be drained a little more fast,not tested my GW because i have a9lh installed and i put the red card away for now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou