Gateway 3DS, ROM releases & GBAtemp

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Got some news I'd like to share with you today!

3ds.png

Gateway & existing 3DS roms
    I have just received confirmation from someone who currently has the Gateway 3DS in their hands that the card does indeed support the existing 3DS ROM dumps. Which means the existing 243 releases are confirmed to be legit/valid, and potentially playable (depending on the region). There shouldn't be any need to redump games. The source of this information is reliable but I do not wish to disclose their identity as they prefer to keep it secret.

3DS release info
    GBAtemp will partner with a well-known scene release information site (not naming it until it's confirmed) to provide the latest 3DS rom release information straight on our home page. Obviously, there will be *no roms for download* but you'll be able to get fresh info and discussion on this very site, like back in the day.

2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I'm liking where this is going. Really loved that 0sec releases feature.

(Now if you'd make a section for me to post PS3 Scene releases I'd be in heaven. :D)

3. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    Oh how funny it'd be if that partner turns out to be DS Scene :tpi:

stephysanrio likes this.
  4. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Excellent. Hopefully now the releases will start to fill up. There are quite a few gaps in releases, currently...

5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Dartz150, Ron and Castiel like this.
  6. ImperialX

ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2007

This is what I hope as well. Can you believe that some staple games such as New Super Mario Brosand Fire Emblem still haven't been dumped for the US region?

Interestingly the EU scene has more releases than the US. Still, the completeness leaves much to be desired.

7. Lakerfanalways

Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    Have you gotten any word from your source if this card works with the latest Nintendo 3DS firmware, I haven't seen any posts about what is required in order for this to work..I have the latest firmware which is why I'm asking.

8. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

It works with the lastest firmware. Someone emailed the Gateway 3DS team in the other thread, and they replied that it does.

9. ImperialX

ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2007

It does work with the latest 5.0.0-11 firmware. Confirmed by Gateway team in the previous thread.

EDIT: Ninja'd

10. Lakerfanalways

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    Awesome thanks so much. I was not aware of someone responding with that information. There have been so many posts its tough to find these things

Since supposedly this card is region locked..I have noticed that all of the US releases of 3DS roms are all from 2012..nothing even remotely recent

11. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

I'd imagine with no previous incentive to dump games they just stopped. The only use for them at the time was to poke around the inside of them, but when this cart is released I'm sure interest will perk right up again. (That and there's like 2-3 teams dumping games.)

12. Lakerfanalways

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    That's true, no one really thought that the 3DS could be hacked, I sure as heck didnt, that is why I kept on updating when an update became available..so probably more games will come out once this thing comes out, wish it wasnt 80 bucks though, especially since Nintendo can probably put a mandatory update on the game itself, but someone will figure that out eventually so will cross that bridge when we get to it

13. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    omg awesome ty for the news :D

14. Cartmanuk

Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2010
    Good work Costello

I hope they don't rush the build of this cart just to get it out the door but its likely.

Great news on all current games working.

Any more information on whether it will be paired with or even work with the Cyber Gadget Save Editor for 3DS?.

I will be adding a few of these to my collection of carts.

I know people compliant about piracy but this offers me the chance to try out games and if I think there worth playing then I'll happily buy the retail game, because I want the guys that make great games to continue making them.

On the plus side 3ds sales should go up in this struggling market because of this cart, the big N should take a little while before trying to block this exploit because it may just hurt them doing so.

15. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I do not care how much this costs, because now that it is confirmed, I am buying one.

raystriker, frogboy and Riyaz like this.
  16. TackyPie

TackyPie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    United States
    Did they try with a different region rom?

Kippykip likes this.
  17. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Great, great news.

Releases on the front page, like the old days :wub: :wub:

18. DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

May 29, 2011
    Japan
    Charicific Valley
    How is anything confirmed? (No offense Costello) We didn't even receive a review sample...the cart hasn't even been made available for purchase. TBH I think the temp is jumping the gun a little, call me a skeptic.

19. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Because.
    Would Costello make a post to say this if he didn't confirm it himself? It's not April, so I am quite confident this is legit.

20. DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

May 29, 2011
    Japan
    Charicific Valley
    IDK, he just says 'someone' lol, could just be some guy from the gateway 3ds team who of course would say "It works, insert money here."