mon0

XPLOiTS FTW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hehe I don't get that joke mate :)

I didn't check gateway3ds website... I got the email, posted at nforush and then on gbatemp.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not bad for a first gen 3DS flashcart :). But "no-online" means "no gateway" for me.
You could still walk away with more money in your pocket (over time, of course) if you had two consoles. One you use specifically for Gateway, another for online-enhanced/only games. Just buy a cheap secondhand console off of Craigslist (or the British equivalent).

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not bad for a first gen 3DS flashcart :). But "no-online" means "no gateway" for me.

I don't understand why online doesn't work. You can always say no to the update prompts, and play online multiplayer on an old firmware (only eshop forces you to update). Why is there an error when trying to play online with the Gateway? Can the error not be fixed? Has Gateway spoke about the issue at all? It seems like the issue should be surmountable.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
First and foremost, I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often:
Who is ready for the next generation of anti-piracy within the games? It may not be considered now because AP hasn't been included in games up to this point. There wasn't a point, as, I mean, the games couldn't be played without the actual game in your 3DS. With that changed, you can bet Nintendo is going to get back to their old tricks. With that said, even if Pokemon works on the Gateway, it is still early enough that they could very easily add in some AP code prior to manufacturing. I'm kinda curious to see what Nintendo and other developers will do with it now that piracy is a risk once more. Of course, there's a chance Nintendo won't have the Gateway entirely dissected and figured out before Pokemon, so you Gateway owners could be safe. Then again, Nintendo seems to work rather quickly where piracy is concerned.

Now, if I'm off here, feel free to correct me, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be that hard to start up the practice once more. I'm highly doubting that firmware is Nintendo's only anti-piracy tool that they can pull out. Just thinking of all of the fun we had with some DS titles, the waits could be rather entertaining once more.

For anyone hoping for support over the current only working firmware version, you're likely hoping in vain where the Gateway is concerned. Figuring out how to remove the region code and bypass the firmware requirement is one thing, but the odds of finding a similar exploit on later firmware versions is going to be very low. Whatever the gap was, it apparently was only available shortly, and Nintendo patched it up with the first update after that. Anybody past the required firmware, I'd suggest hoping that something a little bit more permanent than yet another flash cart comes to light.

In reference to Ace Attorney 5: a physical release was said to not entirely be off the table, but seeing as we haven't heard anything by now, odds are, the only English Ace Attorney 5 we'll be seeing is an eshop release. So if you want to enjoy that game without referring to a script on your computer screen every six seconds, you gotta update. Playing 3DS ROM's is one thing, but we've heard nothing of anybody figuring out how to pull eshop content in a useable fashion from any 3DS. That's likely on the eternal waiting list until 3DS hacking moves along significantly.

For those wanting homebrew: who is to say it's actually right around the corner? Who says it will happen at all? As far as I know, we still don't have the ability to run unsigned code. Nobody knows how to code for the 3DS yet to utilize the hardware. We haven't even seen a "Hello World". I'd say we're still quite a ways off of homebrew, and that it's not going to happen before the Gateway is old news. As far as I can tell, all the hopes for homebrew rest completely on the fact that we've found a way to trick the 3DS into running its own signed code. There has been nothing to hint that we're even remotely close to seeing anything. The Gateway is not a DS flash cart. It is much more limited in its current range of abilities. I understand we've all been spoiled, but realize that we are a ways off of being anywhere near how efficient DS flash carts were.

As for cheating, that's another thing that may not happen with the Gateway, at least, not in the way we're used to it on the DS. Thankfully, there are no online capabilities with the Gateway currently, and with any luck, there never will be. The DS saw enough cheaters online. Legitimately playing a game isn't hard folks. I encourage you all to try it if you aren't yet familiar. That said, I'd guess that cheats are also a ways off until we have a better understanding of near everything.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but there really seems to be some unrealistic hopes all because firmware requirements and region lock were bypassed. Nothing changes that, as of right now, the Gateway is nothing but a piracy device. It may never make it beyond where it is right now. There is no saying when the team may just up and disappear. So, for now, until the Gateway team says something will happen for sure, it's probably best to presume that it isn't going to happen.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
But on the website it says "
PUBLIC RELEASE OF GATEWAY 3DS V1.1A REGION-FREE AND FIRM-SPOOF"
The firmware spoofing is for the games themselves. So, say, a game requires 5.x firmware to run. Initially, the Gateway couldn't play it because the game would still detect the system as 4.2. Whatever it does, the system doesn't detect the required firmware or region for the games anymore. That doesn't mean they've discovered a new exploit for later firmware revisions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse