Hacking Gateway 3DS Issues - "The Game Card was removed"

drnkbeer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello all,
I recently purchased a new Gateway Card to use in my N3DS which is on firmware 9.2 (down from 10.3). I spent today setting it up, using BrowserHax to boot into HBL, backed up the NAND again, and then set about creating an EmuNAND and booting into it all good. GW9.2

Then I put games on the microSD, and pressed select and there they were, clicked one and tried to play and got "The Game Card was removed". So I tried another, and another, and I also tried 3 different micro SD cards both on FAT32 and ExFAT. All the same with the same message.

So I downloaded the Gateway Test Rom, it shows up, I click it, nothing happens at all. I go into Gateway Menu and try diagnostics and the card reports back all is okay.

I'm pretty sure the card is faulty, I've already emailed the company I got it from, but does my assumption sound right? Anything I can do to confirm it? I also use a R4i card which works flawlessly and other DS/3DS retail cards so I don't think it's the slot either though it does go in rather awkwardly.

Unfortunately I'd love to test with my original 3DS and gamecard but they were stolen, shame I don't have anyone around to check the problem with. Would love people's thoughts on this.

Thanks,
DB

Last edited by drnkbeer,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever looked into a9lh? Gateway is mostly outdated. You can follow this guide 3ds.guide to hack your 3ds and then download free games right from nintendo and install them onto your system.

This will allow you to use cheats and even record your screen without a capture card.

drnkbeer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you ever looked into a9lh? Gateway is mostly outdated. You can follow this guide 3ds.guide to hack your 3ds and then download free games right from nintendo and install them onto your system.

This will allow you to use cheats and even record your screen without a capture card.

I did briefly look into a9lh but I felt it was more trouble than it was worth (then again that was a while ago, as I've been too busy to even look at my 3DS). The gateway does feature a way to install this easily though apparently.
I'll see what the company reply back with, typical it would be me with the faulty card haha

Last edited by drnkbeer,

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did briefly look into a9lh but I felt it was more trouble than it was worth (then again that was a while ago, as I've been too busy to even look at my 3DS). The gateway does feature a way to install this easily though apparently.
I'll see what the company reply back with, typical it would be me with the faulty card haha
a9lh has been really streamlined since back in the day. Trust me, it's super easy now - and free.

Even if you get your gateway working, I suggest you still set up a9lh. I use both. It's nice to have the native_firm write protection from a9lh, with the drag and drop of gateway.

Reactions: rikumax25!

drnkbeer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a9lh has been really streamlined since back in the day. Trust me, it's super easy now - and free.

Even if you get your gateway working, I suggest you still set up a9lh. I use both. It's nice to have the native_firm write protection from a9lh, with the drag and drop of gateway.

Just having a look into the Gateway method of installing A9LH they use to do FastBooting straight into GW mode, it'll involve talking the console down to OFW2.3? I assume you still need the otp etc to do A9LH? You're probably right and I will most likely do that myself, once all this is ironed out

How does it work side by side? So is the SysNAND the CFW (Luma is it)? and you can have EmuNAND of the Gateway or?

I am so out of the scene it's ridiculous hah! Thanks for the comments, I'm not even sure what to try with the GW card now, I feel like it's only the card that can be at fault now or atleast the MicroSD slot on the GW card.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just having a look into the Gateway method of installing A9LH they use to do FastBooting straight into GW mode, it'll involve talking the console down to OFW2.3? I assume you still need the otp etc to do A9LH? You're probably right and I will most likely do that myself, once all this is ironed out

How does it work side by side? So is the SysNAND the CFW (Luma is it)? and you can have EmuNAND of the Gateway or?

I am so out of the scene it's ridiculous hah! Thanks for the comments, I'm not even sure what to try with the GW card now, I feel like it's only the card that can be at fault now or atleast the MicroSD slot on the GW card.
Don't do the gateway a9lh, it's atrocious and can't be undone.

Follow the guide that I linked, after that I can explain how to boot gateway using a9lh and luma.

3ds.guide

Reactions: drnkbeer

drnkbeer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's fair enough, okay well I'll hang fire and wait until the company email me back. Is it okay if I PM you at some point and ask any questions after I've followed the guide?
I appreciate the help. It's much appreciated.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fair enough, okay well I'll hang fire and wait until the company email me back. Is it okay if I PM you at some point and ask any questions after I've followed the guide?
I appreciate the help. It's much appreciated.
You can pm me, yeah anytime.

And you don't have to wait to follow that guide. It's fully reversible, and who knows maybe you'll accidentally solve your issue.

fuctfuct

Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to hijack but i am planning on doing this today. Do i need to delete everything off my gateway emunand sd first? (The one that goes into the 3DS not the gate way). It has all my installed CIAs and stuff on it. I dont even use the gateway to load roms.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hijack but i am planning on doing this today. Do i need to delete everything off my gateway emunand sd first? (The one that goes into the 3DS not the gate way). It has all my installed CIAs and stuff on it. I dont even use the gateway to load roms.
No. And there's actually a section on moving your EmuNAND, so that you don't lose anything.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would make a backup of your emunand using decrypt9. Then I would make a backup of the "nintendo 3ds" folder. Then I would format the card and wipe the partitions.

Then Just follow the guide from the beginning. At the end you can restore your gateway emunand to sysnand using hourglass9, and copy your nintendo 3ds folder back onto the card - and all of your games and saves will be restored.

Make backups of your saves using jksm before you do anything just in case.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would make a backup of your emunand using decrypt9. Then I would make a backup of the "nintendo 3ds" folder. Then I would format the card and wipe the partitions.

Then Just follow the guide from the beginning. At the end you can restore your gateway emunand to sysnand using hourglass9, and copy your nintendo 3ds folder back onto the card - and all of your games and saves will be restored.

Make backups of your saves using jksm before you do anything just in case.
The guide covers the first 2 things you said. He'd just be doing work ahead of time, or getting confused.

Reactions: x65943

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about anything on it really. Only my zelda save. Would it be easier to just format it (i have backed up all the sav files)?
If you want to start fresh, and have your saves backed up. Then you can go ahead and do that. Would it be easier? Well, the steps are laid out for you in either scenario.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about anything on it really. Only my zelda save. Would it be easier to just format it (i have backed up all the sav files)?
If you format it, you'll have to reinstall all of your cias. If that's okay with you, just format it. You can make a backup of your zelda save with jksm first if you want.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant just drag the .sav files over in windows?

I'll just follow the guide with eh card the way it is. Guess it would help if i read it all first lol
cia saves are encrypted in the nintendo 3ds folder, so you can't drag and drop sadly.

Yeah just read the guide :P ask questions after you've informed yourself.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant just drag the .sav files over in windows?

I'll just follow the guide with eh card the way it is. Guess it would help if i read it all first lol
.SAV files are GW only, and only should be appearing if you are using .3DS/.3DZ files. CIA installs, store them differently in the Nintendo 3DS folder, and must be exported using JKSM.

drnkbeer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can pm me, yeah anytime.

And you don't have to wait to follow that guide. It's fully reversible, and who knows maybe you'll accidentally solve your issue.

Well i've got a free day tomorrow, I'll give the guide a once over and then I'll give it a go. I've got a trip next week, 6 hours on a train, so I'm hoping I can get some 3DS backup system working so I won't be driven insane.

Thanks appreciate it,
Also happy to see the thread helped someone else in a different way. Fortunately my 3DS is basically brand new so I've got nothing to lose.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr