Hacking Gateway 3DS: Is there any difference between 6.1 and 6.2?

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My 3DS XL currently is on 6.1 and I'm asking myself if I should update to 6.2 (for the Etrian Odyssee demo). Is there anything new blocked in 6.2 concerning the Gateway "entry point"?

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My 3DS XL currently is on 6.1 and I'm asking myself if I should update to 6.2 (for the Etrian Odyssee demo). Is there anything new blocked in 6.2 concerning the Gateway "entry point"?
Since the product is now released and soon in Nintendo's hands, anything above 6.2.0 will most likely never be compatible.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the product is now released and soon in Nintendo's hands, anything above 6.2.0 will most likely never be compatible.

Which means that the team is working on having the Gateway work with 6.2.0 or below firmware. In other words, turn off WiFi and never update your 3DS again.

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS XL on a 5.1 and I want to update it because I want to get Netflix and Swapnote. I am not sure if its worth it cause I will be getting the Gateway. So should I update anyways since they are going to get it working on 6.2 as they say or its more safe to stay at 5.1.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS XL on a 5.1 and I want to update it because I want to get Netflix and Swapnote. I am not sure if its worth it cause I will be getting the Gateway. So should I update anyways since they are going to get it working on 6.2 as they say or its more safe to stay at 5.1.

You're going to want to stay on 5.1, and just a heads up, an exploit for 5.x and 6.x may never be found. Best to stay where you are in case something DOES happen, but do not update further.

And psst, netflix on the 3DS is slow as balls.

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what about 6.1 to 6.2? Does that make a difference?

We can always assume nintendo will work on stopping flash carts every patch.

However, the Gateway came after 6.2, so the team is saying anything PAST 6.2 won't work.

Again, though, don't update unless you need too.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We can always assume nintendo will work on stopping flash carts every patch.

However, the Gateway came after 6.2, so the team is saying anything PAST 6.2 won't work.

Again, though, don't update unless you need too.
Ok, but I'm not asking about past 6.2. i'm asking if there's a difference between 6.1 and 6.2 for the future of Gateway.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Ok, but I'm not asking about past 6.2. i'm asking if there's a difference between 6.1 and 6.2 for the future of Gateway.

the DS Exploit is Still Present
but the Kernel is not

most likely the next update will block the DS one

so exploit wise there is no difference between 6.1 and 6.2
apart from more DS game headers where blocked for DS Flashcard
and also the DS Flashcard supplied with gateway was blocked with 6.2 but that doesnt stop you using a DSTwo or a R4ids.cn to install a DS mode exploit

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the DS Exploit is Still Present
but the Kernel is not

most likely the next update will block the DS one

so exploit wise there is no difference between 6.1 and 6.2
apart from more DS game headers where blocked for DS Flashcard
and also the DS Flashcard supplied with gateway was blocked with 6.2 but that doesnt stop you using a DSTwo or a R4ids.cn to install a DS mode exploit
This is just speculation at the moment. We don't know what Nintendo might have patched in that update. Most likely it makes no difference for the Gateway but it's best not to take that risk.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
This is just speculation at the moment. We don't know what Nintendo might have patched in that update. Most likely it makes no difference for the Gateway but it's best not to take that risk.

the DS Mode Exploit has been tested and still works tho? so how can that be speculation?
was also confirmed in IRC that Homebrew code can still be used through it on 6.2
but Kernel the Kernel Access hack they had found had been block above 4.5

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the DS Mode Exploit has been tested and still works tho? so how can that be speculation?
was also confirmed in IRC that Homebrew code can still be used through it on 6.2
Not that. I mean, whether anything besides what we already know has been patched between 6.1 and 6.2. Should've made that clearer.

antisniperspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Does the gateway 3ds use both the DS Mode Exploit and the Kernel Access hack?

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Does the gateway 3ds use both the DS Mode Exploit and the Kernel Access hack?

Yes

the DS MSET hack
and then you use that to get the 3DS Kernel Access hack which then boots the 3DS into "Gateway Mode"

the DS MSET hack still works in 6.2.0, but the Kernel Access hack has been blocked

antisniperspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes

the DS MSET hack
and then you use that to get the 3DS Kernel Access hack which then boots the 3DS into "Gateway Mode"

the DS MSET hack still works in 6.2.0, but the Kernel Access hack has been blocked

Thanks,

So by that logic then gateway 3ds will most like never work on anything 5.1 or greater unless a new kernel hack is found?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.