Hacking GATEWAY 3DS IS PREPARING A BIG UPDATE IN APRIL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, I dunno about this "big update" in April. GaryOPA's been mum on this since February, other than teaser posts like something about a "gift in an easter basket." And it's ridiculous that we go 6+ months without an update sometimes. Hell, SC2+ had better support and features than GW. I STILL have one and use it often.

Granted, yes, I'm a GW user, but I also have Luma installed, with tons of CIAs. It makes playing VC games and injects a lot easier. Sure, we're stuck on 11.2, but are we really missing out on anything by not updating?
You aren't missing out on much with anything past 11.2, but it's the principle of the matter. One expect a paid service to be better than this, you paid real money for this afterall. But sitting months on something and getting so little back really begs to question it's really worth it? People are using free software and getting far better results and that's just not ok. My beef is an actual ethics concern here. They really aren't providing a service that shows results of a paid service

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I am not trying to bash Gateway, but is really worth it?
The thing is, Gateway seriously lags behind when compared to free CFWs. In fact with this update, they've waited so long between the 11.2 update and 11.3 update, that 11.4 has been released. Which 11.4 added another NATIVE_FIRM dependency, because you know, Nintendo is one trick pony. But this will most likely mean the "big news" they had planned for April has most likely been scrapped, again. And this isn't the first time this has happened, in fact it's happened a lot in the past. This means that Gateway users are either stuck on 11.2 or if they updated their emuNANDS, stuck completely with nothing.
Now of course Gateway also lacks other basic feature, such as FIRM0/1 protection. So anyone who was foolish enough to run Gateway on sysNAND, ended up loosing their A9LH in one simple update. Something that really doesn't happen with free CFWs (unless it was a CFW where FIRM0/1 protection is optional, to which it's still their fault for not using it.)
Basically Gateway users have paid to be out of date, this is a fact, not an opinion. Sure Gateway has .3DS loading and a better cheat system, but are those really worth the high price tag? Are those really worth having 1GB/2GB of your SD being taken up by an emuNAND? Are those really worth waiting weeks to months for an update? Are you really getting your money's worth out it? Compared to someone running a free CFW, who has devs that almost immediately update?
See, the thing is that this update isn't that necessary.
Sure, to be stuck on 11.2 is not a good thing, and it takes forever to GW team to release an update.
But I don't really care. I'm happy with what I've got, and pretty sure that many other do also.
P.S the .3ds games are actually a better method to me. IDK why, just better.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
See, the thing is that this update isn't that necessary.
Sure, to be stuck on 11.2 is not a good thing, and it takes forever to GW team to release an update.
But I don't really care. I'm happy with what I've got, and pretty sure that many other do also.
P.S the .3ds games are actually a better method to me. IDK why, just better.
That's all well and good, but that still does change the actual ethical question of is this really showing results of a paid service? You paid real money after all for this, wouldn't you expect that money to show results? Like at least be on par with free software? You see my concerns here? It's not about, this person is happy or not. It's about paid services vs free services granting actual results.
I am not oppose to people using this cart, but I am oppose to the lack of results from Gateway. They are not showing the results of a paid service

Last edited by The Catboy,

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your argument is based on opinions, I am using facts. Nothing I have said is incorrect. People are paying to be out of date, this is a fact. People are paying to wait weeks to months for an update. People are paying to be missing basic features. I care because people aren't getting the service they deserve from a paid product. It would be one thing if this was a one time thing, it's another when it's every single update with Gateway. I care because people deserve better for a paid for service

So what exactly in my argument is opinion? I am arguing that those of us that still have GW's and actually like them save time over dealing with CIA's/Freeshop, I even supported my argument with an example. That is the reason I still love my GW's. I don't see you refuting any of my points with fact. Show me then.

Others love the cheat system, I still don't get why people like you pollute the GW threads with this garbage.

If GW really sucked that bad, it would have already died. The fact that it has not, proves that point.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Your points aren't even remotely close to validating the continue usage of Gateway 3DS. Wow, you can use .3DS roms, that's all well and good. Expect you also can't update your emuNAND for months on end and often times you end up waiting so long, another update gets pushed out. But of course, that .3DS support, right?
Gateway CFW lacks basic features like FIRM0/1 protect or support for any version of A9LH past V1, unless you jump through hoops to make it work. But completely worth those few extra minutes you save copying over those .3DS roms.
So you win with saving a few extra minutes with .3DS games, completely worth waiting weeks to even months for an update. Completely worth clinging to out of date software or even just flat out removing your A9LH in one simple update.
So while you sit there with 11.2, I am just going to install a CIA. By the time I am done installing my CIA, you will still be on 11.2
I'm still on 11.2 :D

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So what exactly in my argument is opinion? I am arguing that those of us that still have GW's and actually like them save time over dealing with CIA's/Freeshop, I even supported my argument with an example. That is the reason I still love my GW's. I don't see you refuting any of my points with fact. Show me then.

Others love the cheat system, I still don't get why people like you pollute the GW threads with this garbage.

If GW really sucked that bad, it would have already died. The fact that it has not, proves that point.
Compared to CFW? Yeah, Gateway is consistently staying behind. Not to mention the utter fact that you need to have the card to run it. Some of you find the 3ds file format more convenient, others prefer Freeshop.

Freeshop is more secure in the fact that you're downloading directly from Nintendo. Not some third party site where you run the risk of a nice little virus.

Cheats aren't all that bad on NTR. The only issue is keeping up with firm updates.. But Gateway also fails here.

Youre using strong opinion as fact. You find it more convenient? Cool. Not everyone else does.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
That's all well and good, but that still does change the actual ethical question of is this really showing results of a paid service? You paid real money after all for this, wouldn't you expect that money to show results? Like at least be on par with free software? You see my concerns here? It's not about, this person is happy or not. It's about paid services vs free services granting actual results.
I am not oppose to people using this cart, but I am oppose to the lack of results from Gateway. They are not showing the results of a paid service
Of course I would expect results. I'm not defending GW team at all.
But some people shitting on that product itself and its history, like "who cares about GW anymore", "GW is blocked, no that anybody cares" and shit like that
Yeah, people care! Why? The reason is exactly what you just wrote
And you're completly right

ScienceBETCH

GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero™ Main
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Gateway has done great stuff for the 3ds scene in the past. But sadly, that didnt last forever. They copy community stuff, they update their stuff like once every 5 months. They even bricked their own users. Like wtf gateway?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Of course I would expect results. I'm not defending GW team at all.
But some people shitting on that product itself and its history, like "who cares about GW anymore", "GW is blocked, no that anybody cares" and shit like that
Yeah, people care! Why? The reason is exactly what you just wrote
And you're completly right
To be honest? I'm surprised they're still supporting their hardware. It's respectable, for sure.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compared to CFW? Yeah, Gateway is consistently staying behind. Not to mention the utter fact that you need to have the card to run it. Some of you find the 3ds file format more convenient, others prefer Freeshop.

Freeshop is more secure in the fact that you're downloading directly from Nintendo. Not some third party site where you run the risk of a nice little virus.

Cheats aren't all that bad on NTR. The only issue is keeping up with firm updates.. But Gateway also fails here.

Youre using strong opinion as fact. You find it more convenient? Cool. Not everyone else does.

15-20 CIA's totaling 10 Gigabytes
15-20 .3ds files totaling 10 Gigabytes

Copy each to Micro SD cards and in CIA's case install then.

Time to being able to play these 15-20 games:

CFW: 5-6 hours
GW: 20 minutes

That is Strong Opinion?

Do you know what facts and opinions are?

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
To be honest? I'm surprised they're still supporting their hardware. It's respectable, for sure.
I hope they do. At least an update that just gives the users to update their emuNAND without the need of checking if the GW menu still works. That's really annoying af to see the update message the entire time

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
15-20 CIA's totaling 10 Gigabytes
15-20 .3ds files totaling 10 Gigabytes

Copy each to Micro SD cards and in CIA's case install then.

Time to being able to play these 15-20 games:

CFW: 5-6 hours
GW: 20 minutes

That is Strong Opinion?

Do you know what facts and opinions are?

Mate, you're missing the point entirely. Also, did I mention CIA installation? Lolno. I said Freeshop. Huge difference.

And yes, you're using strong opinion. Why? You're talking about what's more convenient to you. Not everyone likes to use their red cart like you do. Pay attention.

Also, you're missing a key point.. Downloads. Why is it so difficult for you..

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I am arguing that those of us that still have GW's and actually like them save time over dealing with CIA's/Freeshop
That's the only downside to CIA's

But there are some of benefits to it

• No need to patch the header, since CIAs use the one from the system. Essentially removing the chance of a online ban
  • CIAs don't need much memory as .3ds(once you install it on the 3ds of course)
  • With Freeshop, we can install the updates and DLC easily, compared to GW (looking it online)
  • Once you have the files set up correctly, you won't need to remove the SD card anymore, minimizing the chance of damaging the pins of the SD card reader. (Which it can happen with GW, since you're constantly removing the Micro SD card)
The only reason it takes too much to download a game with Freeshop is because of the 3DS hardware, if it wasn't limited, it would be a whole lot better.

Those are facts, and upsides that CIAs have compared to .3ds. I'm not here to argue or anything so :)

Last edited by Tenshi_Okami,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

• No need to patch the header, since CIAs use the one from the system. Essentially removing the chance of a online ban
  • CIAs don't need much memory as .3ds
  • With Freeshop, we can install the updates and DLC easily, compared to GW (looking it online)
  • Once you have the files set up correctly, you won't need to remove the SD card anymore, minimizing the chance of damaging the pins of the SD card reader. (Which it can happen with GW, since you're constantly removing the Micro SD card)
The only reason it takes too much to download a game with Freeshop is because of the 3DS hardware, if it wasn't limited, it would be a whole lot better.

Those are facts, and upsides that CIAs have compared to .3ds. I'm not here to argue or anything so :)
Haven't messed with headers in 2 years.. I forgot they're still a thing. Oo

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

• CIAs don't need much memory as .3ds(once you install it on the 3ds of course)

.3ds/.3dz files can be trimmed down to the size of .cia files but yeah, i get what you mean.

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

Cheat plugins may not be that bad but, trust me, finding the offsets for the plugins using NTR compared to GW is like using really old & outdated hardware compared to newer & faster hardware. Cheat finding with NTR is hella sluggish compared to GW. It's mainly because everything is sent over wifi but thats besides the point. Although this will probably change when Nanquitas releases CTRPluginFramework, atm it can be (and usually is) hell.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Cheat plugins may not be that bad but, trust me, finding the offsets for the plugins using NTR compared to GW is like using really old & outdated hardware compared to newer & faster hardware. Cheat finding with NTR is hella sluggish compared to GW. It's mainly because everything is sent over wifi but thats besides the point. Although this will probably change when Nanquitas releases CTRPluginFramework, atm it can be (and usually is) hell.
Well, of course. That's what happens when you close source a project run by one or two people. In all honesty, the only objectively better aspect of gateway would be the cheats.

Reactions: Slattz

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well, of course. That's what happens when you close source a project run by one or two people. In all honesty, the only objectively better aspect of gateway would be the cheats.
Well the option to run .3ds files, also
You can still use .cia so no downside from that
And the option to directly copy a game downloaded from a PC
Besides that nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs