GATEWAY 3DS IS PREPARING A BIG UPDATE IN APRIL!!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheGreek Boy, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Stability~ :creep:

Oh, and broken streaming NTR on 11.4. I believe.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    You aren't missing out on much with anything past 11.2, but it's the principle of the matter. One expect a paid service to be better than this, you paid real money for this afterall. But sitting months on something and getting so little back really begs to question it's really worth it? People are using free software and getting far better results and that's just not ok. My beef is an actual ethics concern here. They really aren't providing a service that shows results of a paid service

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  3. LaPingas

LaPingas let's go mangoooooo

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    See, the thing is that this update isn't that necessary.
    Sure, to be stuck on 11.2 is not a good thing, and it takes forever to GW team to release an update.
    But I don't really care. I'm happy with what I've got, and pretty sure that many other do also.
    P.S the .3ds games are actually a better method to me. IDK why, just better.

4. ScienceBETCH

ScienceBETCH GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero Main

Oct 15, 2016
    Turkey
    I don't know you tell me
    Brickway sucks
    Argument closed

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    That's all well and good, but that still does change the actual ethical question of is this really showing results of a paid service? You paid real money after all for this, wouldn't you expect that money to show results? Like at least be on par with free software? You see my concerns here? It's not about, this person is happy or not. It's about paid services vs free services granting actual results.
    I am not oppose to people using this cart, but I am oppose to the lack of results from Gateway. They are not showing the results of a paid service

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 16, 2017
  6. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States

So what exactly in my argument is opinion? I am arguing that those of us that still have GW's and actually like them save time over dealing with CIA's/Freeshop, I even supported my argument with an example. That is the reason I still love my GW's. I don't see you refuting any of my points with fact. Show me then.

Others love the cheat system, I still don't get why people like you pollute the GW threads with this garbage.

If GW really sucked that bad, it would have already died. The fact that it has not, proves that point.

7. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I'm still on 11.2 :D

8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Compared to CFW? Yeah, Gateway is consistently staying behind. Not to mention the utter fact that you need to have the card to run it. Some of you find the 3ds file format more convenient, others prefer Freeshop.

Freeshop is more secure in the fact that you're downloading directly from Nintendo. Not some third party site where you run the risk of a nice little virus.

Cheats aren't all that bad on NTR. The only issue is keeping up with firm updates.. But Gateway also fails here.

Youre using strong opinion as fact. You find it more convenient? Cool. Not everyone else does.

9. LaPingas

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    Of course I would expect results. I'm not defending GW team at all.
    But some people shitting on that product itself and its history, like "who cares about GW anymore", "GW is blocked, no that anybody cares" and shit like that
    Yeah, people care! Why? The reason is exactly what you just wrote
    And you're completly right

10. ScienceBETCH

ScienceBETCH GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero Main

Oct 15, 2016
    Turkey
    I don't know you tell me
    Gateway has done great stuff for the 3ds scene in the past. But sadly, that didnt last forever. They copy community stuff, they update their stuff like once every 5 months. They even bricked their own users. Like wtf gateway?

11. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    To be honest? I'm surprised they're still supporting their hardware. It's respectable, for sure.

elmoemo and gamesquest1 like this.
  12. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    15-20 CIA's totaling 10 Gigabytes
    15-20 .3ds files totaling 10 Gigabytes

Copy each to Micro SD cards and in CIA's case install then.

Time to being able to play these 15-20 games:

CFW: 5-6 hours
    GW: 20 minutes

That is Strong Opinion?

Do you know what facts and opinions are?

13. LaPingas

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    I hope they do. At least an update that just gives the users to update their emuNAND without the need of checking if the GW menu still works. That's really annoying af to see the update message the entire time

Memoir likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Mate, you're missing the point entirely. Also, did I mention CIA installation? Lolno. I said Freeshop. Huge difference.

And yes, you're using strong opinion. Why? You're talking about what's more convenient to you. Not everyone likes to use their red cart like you do. Pay attention.

Also, you're missing a key point.. Downloads. Why is it so difficult for you..

15. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    That's the only downside to CIA's

But there are some of benefits to it

• No need to patch the header, since CIAs use the one from the system. Essentially removing the chance of a online ban
    • CIAs don't need much memory as .3ds(once you install it on the 3ds of course)
    • With Freeshop, we can install the updates and DLC easily, compared to GW (looking it online)
    • Once you have the files set up correctly, you won't need to remove the SD card anymore, minimizing the chance of damaging the pins of the SD card reader. (Which it can happen with GW, since you're constantly removing the Micro SD card)
    The only reason it takes too much to download a game with Freeshop is because of the 3DS hardware, if it wasn't limited, it would be a whole lot better.

Those are facts, and upsides that CIAs have compared to .3ds. I'm not here to argue or anything so :)

Last edited by Tenshi_Okami, Apr 16, 2017
    Memoir likes this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Haven't messed with headers in 2 years.. I forgot they're still a thing. Oo

17. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    .3ds/.3dz files can be trimmed down to the size of .cia files but yeah, i get what you mean.

18. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Cheat plugins may not be that bad but, trust me, finding the offsets for the plugins using NTR compared to GW is like using really old & outdated hardware compared to newer & faster hardware. Cheat finding with NTR is hella sluggish compared to GW. It's mainly because everything is sent over wifi but thats besides the point. Although this will probably change when Nanquitas releases CTRPluginFramework, atm it can be (and usually is) hell.

19. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Well, of course. That's what happens when you close source a project run by one or two people. In all honesty, the only objectively better aspect of gateway would be the cheats.

Slattz likes this.
  20. LaPingas

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    Well the option to run .3ds files, also
    You can still use .cia so no downside from that
    And the option to directly copy a game downloaded from a PC
    Besides that nothing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.